Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Need advice on how to wash vette...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:40 PM
cvowner
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on how to wash vette...

My new vette needs its first wash. I have Meguires car wash solution, and I'm planning on using my leaf blower for the drying process. What type of sponges, towels, detailer do I need? What is the correct application techniques and steps? I've heard that the swirl motion is NOT the correct way to wash and/or apply detailer to car. Any help advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Zaino Tips
Old 05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome and look around this section.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun (optional)
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-Wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-Using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam (optional)

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-When vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-Use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-Remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Dale@Adams
Advanced

cvowner,

Congrats on the new Vette!!!

For some washing and detailing tips, check out these instructional videos: http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos_entire_video.aspx. They should help to guide you in the proper direction as to what techniques and steps to use.

Thanks and let us know if you have any questions !
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 PM
cvowner
8th Gear

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I've had GREAT success with the following system:
  • I start by washing the wheels, tires, and inside wheel well areas with soapy water (any type of carwash soap works fine) and a terry towel. I use this towel only for washing the wheels, tires, and inside wheel well areas.
  • I then wash the car using the Mr. Clean AutoDry System ($20 at WalMart or Target) and microfiber towels. I start at the top and work my way down, one section at a time, following the Mr. Clean instructions to the letter. Between sections (while rinsing the soapy water off), I rinse the microfiber cloth in a bucket of clear, warm water.
  • After completing the last step with Mr. Clean ("painting" the entire car with ionized water), I blow off the water with an electric leaf blower, again working top to bottom, horizontal surfaces first.
  • At this point, the car is 99% dry. I get the remaining few drops by gently wiping with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. (This step takes me all of 3 or 4 minutes and barely gets my cloth damp as nearly all of the water is blown off with the leaf blower.)

At the end of this process I have a clean car with zero waterspots and zero spiderweb scratches. Note that the only thing that touches the finish (besides water) is microfiber (one towel to wash, another to gently dab off any remaining drops of water after blow-drying). Technically, I could skip the blow-drying and final wipedown since the Mr. Clean system is designed to provide completely spot-free air drying. I added those two steps because the water where I live is extremely hard and I was still getting some spotting. Now that I blow-dry and gently wipe down afterwards, I don't get any spotting.

I can't over-emphasize how effective this process is. It's the only way my Corvette has ever been washed since new nearly 2 years ago and it has ZERO spiderwebs in its finish. Mr. Clean AutoDry + microfiber cloths = no damage to finish!
Old 05-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Dale@Adams
cvowner,

Congrats on the new Vette!!!

For some washing and detailing tips, check out these instructional videos: http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos_entire_video.aspx. They should help to guide you in the proper direction as to what techniques and steps to use.

Thanks and let us know if you have any questions !
Since advice is free I will just give a tip and say don't wear a watch, especially with a metal band like the guy in the video. No matter how careful you are it is too easy to slip up and scratch the paint. Same goes for belt buckets, rivets on jeans etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on how to wash vette...

Quick Reply: Need advice on how to wash vette...