C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trouble code 46 - VATS Anti Theft Circuit Fault

Old 04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
C4Willie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble code 46 - VATS Anti Theft Circuit Fault

I cleaned the ignition switch with electrical contact cleaner. Ran great for about 10 miles. It still runs but will barely accelerate. Could someone please explain how I test if the anti theft system is bad? Am I better off bypassing the system?

Thanks in advance for your help

The site I found suggested the following when I got code 46.

"With negative battery lead disconnected and using high pressure, non residue contact spray cleaner, spray into area where ignition key inserts followed by inserting and removing key several times. Check for open/short on harness from steering column VATS ignition key to ECM. Possible defective anti-theft module."
Old 04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

If the car is running, I don't see VATS as being your problem, The only code you get is 46 ??
Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM
C4Willie
Heel & Toe

Default Agent 86...

Yep, the car is running. I just got back from bringing back from my parents house. Able to drive and actually able to reach +60 mph but it took a while and I really had to feather the gas. Push it past 1/4 throttle and she cuts out, let of and it stays running.

I check the codes when I got home and now the 46 is gone all I get is the 12 that you see anytime.

I suppose I may need to take it to a garage allthough I hate to give up.

I have already replaced the TPS, Cap/Rotor, Wires, Plugs and fuel filter. I also replaced the entire exhaust system from the manifolds back.

Is there a fuel management computer in these cars? Or is it one computer that runs everything? I had an 89 S-10 4cyl that had a similar problem and I had to replace the fuel magement computer. That was a little 4 cyl truck with a stick and it had like 3 or 4 computers on board!

Agent 86, and anyone who replies to this or the other post I had, Thank you. Everyone is very nice and helpful in this Forum.

Despite the rough stretch I am going through with my car I am extremely proud to be a Vette owner and I LOVE my car.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Have you tested your fuel pressure ??
Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
C4Willie
Heel & Toe

Sorry, left that out. Yes I did test the fuel pressue Agent 86. Was good, around 40-42 even when the car starts to run bad.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

You should ask if there is anyone in your area with a laptop/software or scanner. Lot's of members here, have them.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
C4Willie
Heel & Toe

Thank you Agent 86. I actually just saw my Uncle a few hours ago. He has a scan tool that should work on my car. I hope to get it this week and finally solve this mystery.

Thank you again.

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble code 46 - VATS Anti Theft Circuit Fault

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble code 46 - VATS Anti Theft Circuit Fault