C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 AM
crashnscar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Considering doing this but have one question about it.
Can I use my c5 stainless steel brake lines or do I use c6 z06 lines?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
mtm87tx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crashnscar
Considering doing this but have one question about it.
Can I use my c5 stainless steel brake lines or do I use c6 z06 lines?
get ahold of LAPD, they have the lines you need for the conversion
Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to swap. It is accually a "downgrade" in all aspects except looks.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ICaughtVetteFever
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to swap. It is accually a "downgrade" in all aspects except looks.
Interesting remark. Have you tried the C6 Z06 discs, calipers and pads? I doubt that you have. I put them on my vert with bigger tires and my experience says you are making a statement w/o qualification. Most of the negative remarks here about the brakes have come from people like yourself who have not tried them.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tiojames
Interesting remark. Have you tried the C6 Z06 discs, calipers and pads? I doubt that you have. I put them on my vert with bigger tires and my experience says you are making a statement w/o qualification. Most of the negative remarks here about the brakes have come from people like yourself who have not tried them.
I think the only real downfall of the C6 brakes are the rotors, they're not good for tracking and they're heavy. Upgrade the rotors and you have yourself a good set of brakes. Not the best money can buy, not for the all out tracker, but for the cost, it's the most bang for the buck, period.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Yes, the calipers are heavy, not nearly stiff enough, bolts seize with extended use and trash caliper. Rotors are VERY heavy, holes eat pads and crack too easy, plus the vanes are the same on both sides for crappy coolong. Pads are too thin and bad material for the street or track plus they are expensive. Other than that they are great

Most of the negative remarks come DIRECTLY from people that have them, the ones who like them are the ones that have not use them
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Yes, the calipers are heavy, not nearly stiff enough, bolts seize with extended use and trash caliper. Rotors are VERY heavy, holes eat pads and crack too easy, plus the vanes are the same on both sides for crappy coolong. Pads are too thin and bad material for the street or track plus they are expensive. Other than that they are great

Most of the negative remarks come DIRECTLY from people that have them, the ones who like them are the ones that have not use them
I think this is a subject htat many will just agree to disagree about. Simply stated, if oyu are looking for brakes for the track, the C6 Z06 set up is NOT the one, if you are looking for a set-up for Auto X ocassionaly, with some mods this can work for you, if oyu are looking for a great street setup, a great look upgrade, and the best bang for the buck, get the C6 Z06 calipers, stock pads hold up pretty well on a slotted disk, Racing Brake sells replacement pad pins that don't seize for 40 bucks, and buy a set of 2 piece rotors with aluminumm hats, you will drop those stock boat anchors and add a really good rotor that won't tear up the pad so bad. You will still come in way less than a serious big brake kit and be perfect for the street. JMHO
Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Just an FYI ~

You will be more limited in your choice of wheels and might need spacers. I know there are a number of C6Z "styled" wheels for C5's, and I believe only the ACE (?) has the proper clearance.

Same goes (if not moreso) for the deep, reverse lip style wheels - you can get some variants custom made, but be aware of the offset/backspace requirements.

I had considered this myself, but like my deep SP500's too much, so I went for a "nearly new" Z51 setup, had it custom powder coated, for for pretty minimal expense, and have a nice cosmetic upgrade and a small performance upgrade that will also work with dozens of aftermarket street/track pads.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

You haven't said you have tried them-have you?
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I think the only real downfall of the C6 brakes are the rotors, they're not good for tracking and they're heavy. Upgrade the rotors and you have yourself a good set of brakes. Not the best money can buy, not for the all out tracker, but for the cost, it's the most bang for the buck, period.
I agree, I have a set of two piece rotors from Doug Rippie Motorsports. I still maintain they are much better than stock C5 brakes, and even with the cost of DRM's rotors are still a lot less than other after market set-ups. I have 14" front discs with 6 piston calipers, 13" rear discs with 4 piston rear calipers, all with Hawk HP + pads for less than $2400. Certainly not for the car that only goes to the track, but how many use their car only for the track. A good set of those brakes will run $3500-5000 for four wheels.

Last edited by tiojames; 04-10-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

I agree, I have a set of two piece rotors from Doug Rippie Motorsports. I still maintain they are much better than stock C5 brakes, and even with the cost of DRM's rotors are still a lot less than other after market set-ups. I have 14" front discs with 6 piston calipers, 13" rear discs with 4 piston rear calipers, all with Hawk HP + pads for less than $2400. Certainly not for the car that only goes to the track, but how many use their car only for the track. A good set of those brakes will run $3500-5000 for four wheels.
I agree, you can change those pads many times over before you reach the cost of the more expensive kits!! Do you have a website where I can see their products? Thanks, Dan
Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I think this is a subject htat many will just agree to disagree about. Simply stated, if oyu are looking for brakes for the track, the C6 Z06 set up is NOT the one, if you are looking for a set-up for Auto X ocassionaly, with some mods this can work for you, if oyu are looking for a great street setup, a great look upgrade, and the best bang for the buck, get the C6 Z06 calipers, stock pads hold up pretty well on a slotted disk, Racing Brake sells replacement pad pins that don't seize for 40 bucks, and buy a set of 2 piece rotors with aluminumm hats, you will drop those stock boat anchors and add a really good rotor that won't tear up the pad so bad. You will still come in way less than a serious big brake kit and be perfect for the street. JMHO
This is very incorrect, the VERY REASON for a 6 piston 14" kit is for the TRACK. Multiple piston design is to help pad taper and even out clamping force over long sessions. 14" rotors are a waste on the street/autox, they are a heat sink, you get slightly more brake torque, but the stock 2 piston 12.8" will turn on ABS, you can't brake more if your tires can't handle even the stock system.

UNDERSTAND this is NOT a real Big Brake Kit. This kit is BLING only in stock form. Sure you can upgrade to 2 piece rotors, better pads, better bolts, etc.., in the end you still have thin pads that taper due to POS caliper design as well as aluminim heat sink pistons and you have dumped and ton of money. The only reason to use the C6Z kit is looks, and you pay for it with more money in pads and much more unsprung weight. If that is cool with you, then that is fine, just don't try to BS guys who are thinking about doing this mod telling them is it a good "bang for buck"
Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

You haven't said you have tried them-have you?
Yea, I have, you want some extra brake pads?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

$2400? Stoptech front BBK is $2395 and they reccomend keeping stock rear. You don't need the rears upgraded unless you have a full race car in compeition.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

This is very incorrect, the VERY REASON for a 6 piston 14" kit is for the TRACK. Multiple piston design is to help pad taper and even out clamping force over long sessions. 14" rotors are a waste on the street/autox, they are a heat sink, you get slightly more brake torque, but the stock 2 piston 12.8" will turn on ABS, you can't brake more if your tires can't handle even the stock system.

UNDERSTAND this is NOT a real Big Brake Kit. This kit is BLING only in stock form. Sure you can upgrade to 2 piece rotors, better pads, better bolts, etc.., in the end you still have thin pads that taper due to POS caliper design as well as aluminim heat sink pistons and you have dumped and ton of money. The only reason to use the C6Z kit is looks, and you pay for it with more money in pads and much more unsprung weight. If that is cool with you, then that is fine, just don't try to BS guys who are thinking about doing this mod telling them is it a good "bang for buck"
You still haven't said if you have tried them yourself. Do you personally road race? It is a good bang for the buck for those who don't engage in road racing. You are giving a lot of advice, just curious how much time you have on the track.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 PM
crashnscar
Instructor

I am not necessarily looking for an upgrade from stock c5 brakes. This is going on a kit car which is only 2300 pounds wet, so they should do plenty well. I am also NOT using the drilled rotors, I am buying the calipers, stainless steel lines, Hawk HP Plus pads, and slotted rotors (deciding on the 1 piece vs 2 piece since it's a $900 difference).
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I am not necessarily looking for an upgrade from stock c5 brakes. This is going on a kit car which is only 2300 pounds wet, so they should do plenty well. I am also NOT using the drilled rotors, I am buying the calipers, stainless steel lines, Hawk HP Plus pads, and slotted rotors (deciding on the 1 piece vs 2 piece since it's a $900 difference).
If the car is that light (1000 lbs. less than the C5) you certainly do not need to spend the money for C6 Z06 brakes. I went to them because I use a sticky 2.85 tire up front and the C5 brakes could not lock the fronts up and after a couple of hard applications were overheating, even with the DRM ducts.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 brake upgrade

Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
SpeedyD
Melting Slicks

Removing the rolling weight is the best thing you can do for your brakes. It's not like it only cuts a couple lbs, it's 9 lbs per rotor To me, it's worth it, but it's up to you! Any pics of your kit car?
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

You still haven't said if you have tried them yourself. Do you personally road race? It is a good bang for the buck for those who don't engage in road racing. You are giving a lot of advice, just curious how much time you have on the track.
Yes, I have, as I said earlier. Plus I have drawn info from other racers and members with them. It is NOT a good bang for buck unless you mean for looks only. A good bang for buck is staying with stock calipers, there are a lot of good low cost mods out there if you know what to buy
Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

I agree with most of the technical drawbacks that are mentioned above, but often wonder how much of it is over-blown by "the competition".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Z06 brake upgrade