Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone ever had this problem -- intermitent airbag light

Old 03-23-2007, 06:22 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever had this problem -- intermitent airbag light

You know the idiot/diagnostic light that shows an airbag symbol (right under the fasten seatbelt)? Sometime mine will illuminate randomly while driving. It goes on/off sporadically. No check engine light or anything.

Any thoughts as to what it is? Have it scheduled to go in April 2nd.

Beside the airbag light my only other complaint is the squeaky hatch.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC6Z06
You know the idiot/diagnostic light that shows an airbag symbol (right under the fasten seatbelt)? Sometime mine will illuminate randomly while driving. It goes on/off sporadically. No check engine light or anything.

Any thoughts as to what it is? Have it scheduled to go in April 2nd.

In my C6 Convertible I've been stuck with that problem off and on since I got the car. They have changed the seat belts and that fixed it for awhile then they said was a wiring harness problem and that again fixed it for awhile. Just had them look at it again so time will tell. Got 68K on the speedo
Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimman
In my C6 Convertible I've been stuck with that problem off and on since I got the car. They have changed the seat belts and that fixed it for awhile then they said was a wiring harness problem and that again fixed it for awhile. Just had them look at it again so time will tell. Got 68K on the speedo
Seatbelts? That sounds like a dog chasing it's own tail! I wonder if GM switched the design or manufacturer of electrical connectors -- seems to be a fair amount of electrical gremlins in the C6.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Seatbelts? That sounds like a dog chasing it's own tail! I wonder if GM switched the design or manufacturer of electrical connectors -- seems to be a fair amount of electrical gremlins in the C6.
The airbag light is not uncommon on a lot of cars, and is likely a sensor connection issue. The sensors are near the nose, for rather obvious reasons.

As for the observation about electrical gremlins, you've obviously never owned a BMW or Mercedes. As all cars get more complex with more on-board computers and sensors, the gremlin issue is becoming more and more common across the board. Actually the C6 generation seems to be doing better than industry average among cars with similar complex electronics.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Fast & Lazy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you married?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:59 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fast & Lazy
Are you married?
Hah! I like this comment...lol

Foosh -- I don't think this is a result of the complexity of the car, but just an honest something wasn't put in right. A bad connection or sensor somewhere. Hey the car still runs and I'm still enjoying it. Furthermore, I'm not going to knock GM for this. However, doesn't mean it's still not an annoyance.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Fast & Lazy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good. As long as we are all in this for fun.

Have a good one!!!!!

F&L
Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Foosh -- I don't think this is a result of the complexity of the car, but just an honest something wasn't put in right. A bad connection or sensor somewhere. Hey the car still runs and I'm still enjoying it. Furthermore, I'm not going to knock GM for this. However, doesn't mean it's still not an annoyance.
Yes, that's what I suggested. It could be as simple as a sensor connector, with a little moisture in it, or it's slightly loose, causing an intermittent circuit.

My other comment regarding complexity was in response to your statement that the C6 seems to be plagued by many electrical gremlins. I've seen many other makes far worse, than the C6 experience thus far.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:52 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Recaros replacing the stock seats I have this idiot light all the time. Does your car have the 2LZ option with seat mounted side air bags? If so you might try wiggling around the connectors under both seats. Always try the easy stuff first, sometimes you get lucky!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

There are a few factors to consider WRT the SIR system, and the idiot light. Having been through this with an unsuccessful seat swap in my Z06, I'm unfortunately all too familiar with it. Some of the things that can cause the SIR MIL:

1. Connectors aren't connected properly.
2. BCM is malfunctioning.
3. Seat position sensors (driver and/or passenger) aren't reading proper electric current.
4. Passenger Presence Sensor (butt-sensor in passenger seat) isn't working, or isn't connected.
5. Seat belt pre-tensioners (driver or passenger) are malfunctioning.

Any of these failures will cause the SIR MIL to come on, and completely disable the entire system.

It'll take a Tech-2 to get the codes from the BCM. Once you have those codes, it'll be real easy to figure out what's going wrong.

Good luck.

jas
Old 03-24-2007, 06:58 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by kentz06
With Recaros replacing the stock seats I have this idiot light all the time. Does your car have the 2LZ option with seat mounted side air bags? If so you might try wiggling around the connectors under both seats. Always try the easy stuff first, sometimes you get lucky!
Forgive my ignorance but is there an RPO code for side airbags? My car is a 2LZ with Nav (I'm guessing the airbags were standard on 2LZ?).
Regardless, this is an excellent idea! Are these the standard wires under the seats? I'm guessing there is a connector somewhere along the way -- will scope it out.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
There are a few factors to consider WRT the SIR system, and the idiot light. Having been through this with an unsuccessful seat swap in my Z06, I'm unfortunately all too familiar with it. Some of the things that can cause the SIR MIL:

1. Connectors aren't connected properly.
2. BCM is malfunctioning.
3. Seat position sensors (driver and/or passenger) aren't reading proper electric current.
4. Passenger Presence Sensor (butt-sensor in passenger seat) isn't working, or isn't connected.
5. Seat belt pre-tensioners (driver or passenger) are malfunctioning.

Any of these failures will cause the SIR MIL to come on, and completely disable the entire system.

It'll take a Tech-2 to get the codes from the BCM. Once you have those codes, it'll be real easy to figure out what's going wrong.

Good luck.

jas
Thanks Jas -- I miss the days of being able to pull codes off the DIC in my old C5. The pax airbag light stays off, so I am thinking it is not #4, and the seat belt light goes out so it's probablly not #5. As I mentioned this is intermittent, so I'm hoping this is just a lose or frayed connector.

Will check all the obvious connections to start.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

The pax airbag light stays off, so I am thinking it is not #4
Don't be too sure. Have someone sit in the passenger seat and watch the rear-view mirror. Does the message change to indicate the airbag is armed?

and the seat belt light goes out so it's probablly not #5.
Again, don't be too sure. Seat belt pretensioner codes don't illuminate the seat belt light. They illuminate the SIR MIL. I speak from direct experience on that one.

jas
Old 03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
Don't be too sure. Have someone sit in the passenger seat and watch the rear-view mirror. Does the message change to indicate the airbag is armed?
Yes it arms when weight is put on the seat. Furthermore, when airbag idiot light comes on the airbag light in the rearview indicates the pax seat is still hot. I could certainly be wrong, but my money is on this not being the problem (tech II will tell for sure).

Originally Posted by jvp
Again, don't be too sure. Seat belt pretensioner codes don't illuminate the seat belt light. They illuminate the SIR MIL. I speak from direct experience on that one.

jas
Interesting.

Unfortunately I am limited to checking for any obviously lose connectors, and will have to see what the Tech II says when I bring it into the dealer. Too bad the dealer**** could not just hook it up to the scanner when I stopped in Friday and see where the error was.

Stay tuned I guess.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Mine does the same thing. Although, over the past week, it hasn't come on at all. Sometimes it will stay lit for 5 minutes straight before going back out. I'm worried that the air bags may randomly deploy while I'm driving!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SteckDW
Mine does the same thing. Although, over the past week, it hasn't come on at all. Sometimes it will stay lit for 5 minutes straight before going back out. I'm worried that the air bags may randomly deploy while I'm driving!
I did a lot of research on "inadvertant airbag deployment" after the driver's side airbags blew up the inside of our BMW/Mini Cooper S (one of the first cars delivered here) back in 2003 for no apparent reason while driving 70 mph straight down the freeway. BMW purchased the car back because they wanted it for their investigation.

The results of that investigation revealed that a freak pebble had scored a direct, bulls-eye impact on the chassis-mounted sensor. Thus, the system did "see an impact." It did what it was supposed to do, but obviously, that was an early design flaw based on sensor location. I believe the sensors are now better shielded.

Bottom line from my research on this, is that the airbags can only deploy when the sensor records an impact of a certain force. If the airbag light is on, they are disabled and cannot deploy. The sensor system is pretty much industry-standard, varying only with sensor location in a particular model.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
BlackC6Z06
Instructor

Well the code was B0041 so the dealer is going to dig around and hopefully have a resolution.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever had this problem -- intermitent airbag light

Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Well the code was B0041 so the dealer is going to dig around and hopefully have a resolution.
Hey BlackC6Z06, this will help.
Terry

DTC B0040, B0041, or B0045
Circuit Description
The driver side deployment loop consists of the following components:

An inflatable restraint side impact module - LF
The inflatable restraint side impact module wiring harness
The side impact module - LF high circuits
The side impact module - LF low circuits
A shorting bar is used within the side impact module - LF connector. The shorting bar will short together the side impact module - LF high circuit, and the side impact module - LF low circuit when the connector is disconnected. This helps prevent unwanted deployment of the inflator module during servicing. During a side or frontal crash of sufficient force, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) will allow current to flow through the deployment loop. This flow of current will deploy the side impact module - LF. The SDM performs continuous diagnostic tests on the deployment loops to check for proper circuit continuity and for shorts to ground or voltage. If a malfunction is detected, a DTC will be stored in memory.

DTC Descriptors
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:

DTC B0040 Left Front Side Deployment Loop Resistance Low
DTC B0041 Left Front Side Deployment Loop Open
DTC B0045 Left Front Side Deployment Loop Voltage Out of Range
Conditions for Running the DTC
Ignition 1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC B0040 will set when the side impact module - LF deployment loop resistance is less than 1.3 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
DTC B0041 will set when one of the following conditions occurs:
Side impact module - LF high circuit is less than 2.4 volts and the side impact module - LF deployment loop is more than 6 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
Side impact module - LF deployment loop resistance is more than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
DTC B0045 will set when one of the following conditions occur:
Side impact module - LF high and/or low circuits is short to ground or short to voltage for 500 milliseconds.
Side impact module - LF high circuit is less than 2.4 volts and side impact module - LF deployment loop resistance is less than 6 ohms for 500 milliseconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via class 2 serial data.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists and the scan tool Clear DTCs function is used.
A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.
Diagnostic Aids
The following are possible causes of the malfunction:

A short between the side impact module - LF high and low circuits
An open or a high resistance in the side impact module - LF high or low circuits
A short to ground or a short to voltage in the side impact module - LF high or low circuits
The side impact module - LF connector
The SDM connector
A malfunctioning side impact module - LF
A malfunctioning SDM
Thoroughly inspect the wiring and the connectors. An incomplete inspection of the wiring and the connectors may result in a misdiagnosis, causing a part replacement with the reappearance of the malfunction. If an intermittent malfunction exists, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step tests to see if the malfunction is caused by the side impact module - LF or by the side impact module - LF wiring harness.

This step tests to see what DTCs are present. If DTC B0040 s present, test the side impact module - LF for a short between high and low circuits. If DTC B0041 is present, test the side impact module - LF high and low circuits for an open and for high resistance. If DTC B0045 is present, test the side impact module - LF high and low circuits for a short to ground or a short to voltage.

Step
Action
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: SIR Schematics

Connector End View Reference: SIR Connector End Views

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the side impact module - LF wiring harness in-line connector. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Side Impact Module Wiring Harness Replacement .
Inspect the component and harness sides of the in-line connector for the side impact module - LF wiring harness for damage or corrosion that may cause the malfunction. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Does connector exhibits any signs of damage or corrosion?
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 4

If the in-line connector for the side impact module - LF wiring harness is damaged, the side impact module - LF wiring harness must be replaced. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Side Impact Module Wiring Harness Replacement .
If the wiring harness side of side impact module - LF in-line connector is damaged, replace the harness side of the connector. Refer to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you complete the repair?
Go to Step 11
--

Important
If scan tool displays multiple codes, diagnose the open code first.

Use J 38715-60 adapter to connect the J 38715-A Driver/Passenger SIR Load Tool to the harness side of the side impact module - LF wiring harness connector. Use steering wheel and passenger inflator connectors.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool to request SIR DTCs displayed.
Does the scan tool indicate that DTC B0040, B0041, or B0045 are current?
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 5

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect and remove the J 38715-A and adapter.
Connect the side impact module - LF wiring harness in-line connector.
Remove the side impact module - LF connector. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Side Impact Module Replacement - Front .
Use J 38715-30A adapter to connect the J 38715-A to the side impact module - LF connector. Use passenger inflator connector.
Use the scan tool to request SIR DTCs displayed.
Does the scan tool indicate that DTC B0040, B0041, or B0045 are current?
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 8

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect and remove both the J 38715-A and adapter.
Disconnect the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) connector. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup, and programming.
Inspect the SDM connector for damage or corrosion that may cause a malfunction in the side impact module - LF high and/or low circuits. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 7

If DTC B0040 is present, test the side impact module - LF circuits for a short between the high and low circuits.
If DTC B0041 is present, test the side impact module - LF high and low circuits for an open and for high resistance.
If DTC B0045 is present, test the side impact module - LF high and low circuits for a short to ground and for a short to voltage.
All the conditions refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 10

Turn OFF the ignition.
Replace the side impact module - LF. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Side Impact Module Replacement - Front .
Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 11
--

Turn OFF the ignition.
Replace the side impact module - LF wiring harness. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Side Impact Module Wiring Harness Replacement .
Go to Step 11
--

Turn OFF the ignition.
Replace the SDM. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup, and programming.
Go to Step 11
--

Connect all SIR components.
Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?
Go to Step 2
System OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1410450
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine did this took it in and the plug under the seat was not seated all the way.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone have a solution to seat changes and airbag lights and so on. I'd love to get a nice race seat in for the track then switch it back out w/o all kinds of dummy lights going on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone ever had this problem -- intermitent airbag light