C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold not Sealing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Mikef714
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Intake Manifold not Sealing?

Hello Everyone – I recently replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 1972 LT-1. Everything was fine for the first few hundred miles but now I notice some coolant pooling around the second bolt in from the passenger side front (next to the heater hose connection. The bolts are torqued to the proper spec. Any ideas what I might be causing this and/or how to fix (maybe replace the intake gaskets again but I am not sure what I may have done wrong the last time)? Any thoughts are appreciated - Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
blctalon
Racer

Are you sure it's not the heater hose adapter leaking where it threads to the manifold or the hose connection itself?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikef714
Hello Everyone – I recently replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 1972 LT-1. Everything was fine for the first few hundred miles but now I notice some coolant pooling around the second bolt in from the passenger side front (next to the heater hose connection. The bolts are torqued to the proper spec. Any ideas what I might be causing this and/or how to fix (maybe replace the intake gaskets again but I am not sure what I may have done wrong the last time)? Any thoughts are appreciated - Thanks
Did you put some RTV around the threads before inserting the manifold bolts? Is recommended and really helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 80TexasC3
Did you put some RTV around the threads before inserting the manifold bolts? Is recommended and really helps.
I also like to put a bead of sealer around the water jackets on both the heads and intake as well before installing the gaskets and torquing everything down. Also what did you torque your manifold bolts to and did you follow the correct torquing sequence?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Mikef714
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the heater hose. I did use a small amount of silicone around the water jackets and used the specified torque value and sequence contained in the repair manual I have.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:49 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mikef714
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the heater hose. I did use a small amount of silicone around the water jackets and used the specified torque value and sequence contained in the repair manual I have.
Don't forget to put sealant on the threads of that bolt! It is not just torque.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:49 PM
69monzaredbigblock
Instructor

I believe some of the intake bolts go into the coolant passage way. You need to seal the threads on the offending bolts.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
AlCherry
Racer

Remember, when you use a sealant of any type, make sure to clean any excess, as to not get any in the oil passages. Pro's know this. Save your motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifold not Sealing?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold not Sealing?