Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Liquid Clay?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM
yechi7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Clay?

I took my '01 silver Vette to a local handwash detailing carwash today. After the $30 (plus tax) wash & wax special (the boss says they use Meguire's wax) was completed, they squirted some yellowish clear liquid on part of the hood & rubbed it in.

They showed me that when I ran my hand over the finish that was not treated, there was this rough grittiness feel & when I ran my hand over the finish that was treated, it was smooth as glass & more shiny.

They told me this was a clay treatment & if I wanted it, it would be an extra $45 (plus tax). I'm really much to busy to do this myself.

I hesitated for 2 reasons: I thought $80+ was a little too extravagant a carwash. He told me that this is basically something you could do once per year. So maybe I'm being too cheap.

Also, and this is the main thing: I thought that clay was in a bar shape. I'm a newbie, but I never heard of liquid clay. Was he trying to pull a scam or is there really such a thing as liquid clay treatment?

Dovid
Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yechi7
I took my '01 silver Vette to a local handwash detailing carwash today. After the $30 (plus tax) wash & wax special (the boss says they use Meguire's wax) was completed, they squirted some yellowish clear liquid on part of the hood & rubbed it in.

They showed me that when I ran my hand over the finish that was not treated, there was this rough grittiness feel & when I ran my hand over the finish that was treated, it was smooth as glass & more shiny.

They told me this was a clay treatment & if I wanted it, it would be an extra $45 (plus tax). I'm really much to busy to do this myself.

I hesitated for 2 reasons: I thought $80+ was a little too extravagant a carwash. He told me that this is basically something you could do once per year. So maybe I'm being too cheap.

Also, and this is the main thing: I thought that clay was in a bar shape. I'm a newbie, but I never heard of liquid clay. Was he trying to pull a scam or is there really such a thing as liquid clay treatment?

Dovid

i've never heard of that. I'd bet its just a type of spray detailer, but I could be wrong. $30 wash/wax special
Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, haven't heard of that.
I suppose in theory, you could use a suspension of clay the same way as you use any other abrasive polish.

But without being a solid clay bar, you'll lose the effect of "shearing off" the surface contaminants from your paint.

I suppose if you felt a "before" and "after" difference with your own hand that says something. But I'd still consider it unconventional and stay away. There's a lot of information on claying here and other good detailing sites. For the once a year treatment, you may want to just do that yourself - it takes very little time. Just be very observant to make sure you're not getting claybar marring as you're doing it.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:09 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Diamondite Spray Clay uses a Kaolin clay formula to lift contaminants out of the deep pits in the glass and suspend them until you wipe them away. Just like paint clay, it pulls out debris that washing misses. Even your average glass cleaner doesn’t clean deep down. Nothing cleans glass like Spray Clay.
http://superiorcarcare.net/dsc6.html

See post "Clay Myths"
Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 AM
yechi7
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
$30 wash/wax special
What's wrong with that, other than not doing it yourself?

Dovid
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 AM
yechi7
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Diamondite Spray Clay uses a Kaolin clay formula to lift contaminants out of the deep pits in the glass and suspend them until you wipe them away. Just like paint clay, it pulls out debris that washing misses. Even your average glass cleaner doesn’t clean deep down. Nothing cleans glass like Spray Clay.
http://superiorcarcare.net/dsc6.html

See post "Clay Myths"
So this Spray Clay is just for glass. If there was a Spray Clay for paint, I figure that they would sell it also. Anybody else can weigh in on this, whether this liquid clay is a scam or what?

Dovid
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this Spray Clay is just for glass. If there was a Spray Clay for paint, I figure that they would sell it also. Anybody else can weigh in on this, whether this liquid clay is a scam or what?

Dovid
a) I don't think this is a 'scam', with Automotive detailer's clay you use a soft clay bar that contains abrasives and a lubricant to aquaplane the clay bar over the paint and remove surface contaminants.

b) With the liquid glass cleaner the abrasive is the supplied sponge and the liquid is the lubricant (glass is much harder than a paint film surface)

Diamondite® Glass Cleaning System – this liquid clay system comes with an abrasive sponge to remove surface contaminants from glass surfaces - http://superiorcarcare.net
Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
FIDOauto
Pro

nope not a scam at all

http://www.autopolish.net/catalog.asp#LC

GLARE Liqui-Clay

"The Clay Bar in a Bottle."

Smoothes and removes stubborn blemishes before polishing! Won't re scratch your paint like a regular Clay Bar. Fast and very easy to use. The MOST advanced claying system for your vehicle's finish ever developed!

Restores Color
Picks up Debris. Fallout, Insects, and Dirt Particles like a Magnet!
Smoothes paint like glass
Preps paint before polishing
Price: $24.95 + $5.95 S/H [12 oz. bottle]
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

Autogeek gave the Diamondite Foam Clay n Shine away as the "great free gift" last year when you spent a certain amount. It is listed as a paint care system.( Foam and a bottle of Wax.) I did a search on various sites and couldnt find any good written so havent tried it. You apply the clay foam to the paint with a sponge that feels like a scouring pad.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
ripen ls6
Racer

You don't want to use Diamondite® Glass Cleaning System on your paint. It's designed to work on glass.
As FIDOauto mentioned, there are liquid clays designed for paint. I agree with bugman, I don't see it as popular as in its conventional form.
-M
Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

I think you misunderstood -I wasnt sent the Glass Cleaning System, I was sent the paint care system by Diamondite. Specifically states to use the wax to complete the process for ultimate shine and protection. ? Its a foam clay.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

What's wrong with that, other than not doing it yourself?

Dovid
you get what you pay for. i wouldn't even take my Honda daily d to one of those
Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by FIDOauto
Won't re scratch your paint like a regular Clay Bar.
Claying done properly won't scratch.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the Diamondite Paint Care Spray Clay, anyone want it???? I thought it was horrible. Scratched the hell out of the finish. Fortunately, I tried on a small area and was able to clean up the mess.
The distributor I got it from swore he sold dozens of them and people simply raved about it..... Ok, I will try it.... At that point I still trusted his judgement....
I don't buy anything from that guy anymore.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Claying done properly won't scratch.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
0jason@autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karol
Autogeek gave the Diamondite Foam Clay n Shine away as the "great free gift" last year when you spent a certain amount. It is listed as a paint care system.( Foam and a bottle of Wax.) I did a search on various sites and couldnt find any good written so havent tried it. You apply the clay foam to the paint with a sponge that feels like a scouring pad.
Hi karol,

This item has been discontinued and Diamondite is relaunching next month a whole new line of products.

The Diamondite foaming clay works great on glass but the paint version wasn't as popular. I still recommend using a detailing clay bar and a spray lubricant designed for use with detailing clay.

The Diamondite Xtreme Cote Car Wax is also being discontinued to make room for the new products. It's easy to use, just spread it thin and let it dry before removing the residue with a microfiber towel.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I walked into Walmart yesterday just to browse around and noticed Turtle Wax ICE came out with a liquid clay for 16.00 (I think).

Anyone try this yet? I may experiment with this when weather gets better.

Get notified of new replies

To Liquid Clay?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Liquid Clay?