C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

re:ZR-1 Snow Beast and success from Houston

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Default re:ZR-1 Snow Beast and success from Houston

Well folks can you see my smile?

What a great car. Drove her all the way from Houston. It was a little dodgy last night as we drove on I-10 and did approx 60 miles in three hours on one strech due to heavy snow!! Had to stay over in Van Horn Texas and was lucky to get a room. Woke up and there was 3 foot of snow ontop of the car. Started up with no hesitations and had her warmed up as we had to wait until 2pm the next day (Today) for the snow to clear. I wish I brought my camera you cant make this **** up!! Now I know why you guys park em in the winter back east and drive something else. ZR-1s and hard driving snow plain suck!!!!! Traction what traction?

SO now thats home how do I diagnose the pesty LPTWS sensor in other words figure which is tire is the culprit at high speeds only and the Ride Service light. Any clues with that one? Bad sensor? What a great ride. Goldcylon

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-24-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car and the nice drive home.

LTPWS, more than likely a battery failure in the sensor itself. Try driving it a bit more. If it's a early car you can remove all of them with out having the light come on.

SRC, take a paperclip and jump the A-C terminals on the ALDL port and see what code comes up.

12 = Start of sequence
13 = Left rear time out
14 = Right Front time out
21 = Left Front time out
22 = Right Rear time out
31 = Left Front out of position
32 = Right Front out of position
33 = Left Rear out of position
34 = Right Rear out of position

Out of position codes are triggered if the computer senses that the actuator has not found the end stop position on the shock. Remove actuator at the indicated shock. Turn the valve gear on the shock stops after about 3 / 4 of turn, then you have a bad actuator. If it spins around continuously then it is a bad shock
41 = Selective ride control switch short to voltage
42 = Selective ride control switch open contacts
You can have a code 42 if you leave the switch in between indented positions

43 = selective ride control switch circuit open.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I ttook me 8 hours to go 41 miles in Virginia, right before the snow was freezing rain and there was a 127 car pileup further north.

I was on top of at least 3" of ice which was below 6" of snow.

Absolutely no traction at all.

By the time I got home, my red car was white from all the crud.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Wide tires and bad weather =
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

I've been caught in 6" of snow as well.......not fun! About the LPTWS; I think there are a couple of codes that can trigger, if the car is started, and not moved. Something about the system not being able to set properly while not moving. LPTWS might be one of codes that trigger this way, and you said you were stuck for a while at the hotel. Also it can be set by another car with LPTWS on it as well. If I were to get this, I would clear the codes first, and see if they come back. Clear by unhooking the battery. It could be as simple as this. I have had it before, but not frequently, so I have not pulled the sensors off. Congrats on the car!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
pennstatefootball
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmmm

I think my ZR1 would "cringe" @ being out in the wet, and cry like a baby if i let him out in the snow.... I have an old man car for the bad weather with FRONT wheel drive!

As far as LTPWS... I'm going to disable mine to get that light off(missing one sensor), because I don't do any "track" runs. Some guys might differ, but I don't see it helping me on my Sunday Runs.....

Has anyone disabled their LTPWS? If so, how easy is it?

Thanks

David
94 #150

ps hey Cylon... What year Z did you get? Mods? AND what are you doing to do to it!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 AM
flyin ryan
Racer

glad to hear you & the car are in one piece.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My ZR1 never sees snow

But the wife saw some in the truck this weekend in DC
Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Congrats on the car and the nice drive home.

LTPWS, more than likely a battery failure in the sensor itself. Try driving it a bit more. If it's a early car you can remove all of them with out having the light come on.

SRC, take a paperclip and jump the A-C terminals on the ALDL port and see what code comes up.

12 = Start of sequence
13 = Left rear time out
14 = Right Front time out
21 = Left Front time out
22 = Right Rear time out
31 = Left Front out of position
32 = Right Front out of position
33 = Left Rear out of position
34 = Right Rear out of position

Out of position codes are triggered if the computer senses that the actuator has not found the end stop position on the shock. Remove actuator at the indicated shock. Turn the valve gear on the shock stops after about 3 / 4 of turn, then you have a bad actuator. If it spins around continuously then it is a bad shock
41 = Selective ride control switch short to voltage
42 = Selective ride control switch open contacts
You can have a code 42 if you leave the switch in between indented positions

43 = selective ride control switch circuit open.

Thanks for the adivce JEFV!! I have no idea where the a and c portion are on the port. Are talking about the OBD port? Does the car have to be powered where do I count the flashes. Sorry for the silly questions I remember reading about this in other posts but this is the first time I would have to do it.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
I ttook me 8 hours to go 41 miles in Virginia, right before the snow was freezing rain and there was a 127 car pileup further north.

I was on top of at least 3" of ice which was below 6" of snow.

Absolutely no traction at all.

By the time I got home, my red car was white from all the crud.
I can relate my detailed ZR-1 looked like & @@$$
when I pulled in the driveway. The engine bay will take hours.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
I've been caught in 6" of snow as well.......not fun! About the LPTWS; I think there are a couple of codes that can trigger, if the car is started, and not moved. Something about the system not being able to set properly while not moving. LPTWS might be one of codes that trigger this way, and you said you were stuck for a while at the hotel. Also it can be set by another car with LPTWS on it as well. If I were to get this, I would clear the codes first, and see if they come back. Clear by unhooking the battery. It could be as simple as this. I have had it before, but not frequently, so I have not pulled the sensors off. Congrats on the car!
Thanks I cleared the codes, The LPWTS light ony comes on at speeds over 65. Rode around all day below 65 no issues except the select a ride service light. I will try JeffVetts procedure when I get a few more details.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by pennstatefootball
hmmmmm

I think my ZR1 would "cringe" @ being out in the wet, and cry like a baby if i let him out in the snow.... I have an old man car for the bad weather with FRONT wheel drive!

As far as LTPWS... I'm going to disable mine to get that light off(missing one sensor), because I don't do any "track" runs. Some guys might differ, but I don't see it helping me on my Sunday Runs.....

Has anyone disabled their LTPWS? If so, how easy is it?

Thanks

David
94 #150

ps hey Cylon... What year Z did you get? Mods? AND what are you doing to do to it!
Hi david a 91 #2014, I repaired the BB Triflows today the resonator was cracked at the welds and one of the mufflers was wagging a little on the way home. Had two seperate resonators installed which gave me a little more clearance. I have speed bumps in my housing community that just suck. The existing resonator was way too low and beat to $$@@. I had remote entry installed today as well. It the same system I had installed in November on my 90 L98 Coupe. The car has a blueprinted ZF tranny already completed by Z51 out of Cavecreek AZ (Small world) I probably wont dork around with the engine two much as im happy the way it is for now. Very strong runner very happy with the car so far. A lot of folks have told me to get ride of the wing but about half the rest of the folks say keep it.

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-24-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Thanks for the adivce JEFV!! I have no idea where the a and c portion are on the port. Are talking about the OBD port? Does the car have to be powered where do I count the flashes. Sorry for the silly questions I remember reading about this in other posts but this is the first time I would have to do it.
ALDL port beneath the dash on the driver side.

Set up like this

F-E-D-C-B-A
G-H-J-K-L-M
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by tjwong
ALDL port beneath the dash on the driver side.

Set up like this

F-E-D-C-B-A
G-H-J-K-L-M
That simple enough ok does the car need to be powered and running. What flashes to see these codes? Thanks for the help goldcylon
Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 PM
guinnessdood
Drifting

That simple enough ok does the car need to be powered and running. What flashes to see these codes? Thanks for the help goldcylon
No the car doesn't need to be running...just turn the key to the ON position and the Service Ride Control light on the DIC will start its flashing sequence. With the key OFF...install the shorting wire (paperclip or whatever you are using) and then turn the key to the ON position to read the flashing codes.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
pennstatefootball
Pro

Ok Cylon.........

Pictures Please!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta show off that car!

Thanks!

David
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by guinnessdood
No the car doesn't need to be running...just turn the key to the ON position and the Service Ride Control light on the DIC will start its flashing sequence. With the key OFF...install the shorting wire (paperclip or whatever you are using) and then turn the key to the ON position to read the flashing codes.
Ok too easy is the ADL port in a different location on a 91 ZR-1 vs a 90 Coupe? I can see the coupe 90 ADL but cant seem to find one on my ZR-1 im wondering if it broke off and was tucked underneath? Goldcylon

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-25-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To re:ZR-1 Snow Beast and success from Houston

Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by pennstatefootball
Ok Cylon.........

Pictures Please!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta show off that car!

Thanks!

David
http://home.earthlink.net/~goldcylon...res/91zr-1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~goldcylon...res/91rear.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~goldcylon...ngineright.jpg

David heres ones from an earlier post. Its all I have for now

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-24-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:11 AM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Ok too easy is the ADL port in a different location on a 91 ZR-1 vs a 90 Coupe? I can see the coupe 90 ADL but cant seem to find one on my ZR-1 im wondering if it broke off and was tucked underneath? Goldcy;on
The ALDL connector is in the same location as your 91...on the drivers side just up above the right knee. It is possible that it has been pushed up under the hush panel....

Edit: My entire family says..."lose the wing"...even Brutus our Brussels Griffon...

Last edited by guinnessdood; 01-25-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by guinnessdood
The ALDL connector is in the same location as your 91...on the drivers side just up above the right knee. It is possible that it has been pushed up under the hush panel....

Edit: My entire family says..."lose the wing"...even Brutus our Brussels Griffon...

Ok I will look under the hush panel next thanks for that info

I made the decsion the wing stays but zero other body mods will be applied, The wing is actually mounted to the frame on struts. It makes the car look different but not riced IMHO. I know its not for everyone but I must admit it has grown on me. Since I just joined the ZR-1 registry it will give other members something to talk about

Quick Reply: re:ZR-1 Snow Beast and success from Houston