C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stahl side pipe headers for RamJet 502

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Stahl side pipe headers for RamJet 502

Since I am deep in the throws of updating "Project Ramjet" with the Accel Gen VII DFI, I'm finding it difficult resisting the "while I'm at it" syndrome. First it was the new Dual Sync distributor for sequential injection, then the Dual 58mm Holley throttle body, and now, I'm wrestling with what to do with the exhaust. The stock sidepipe setup I have now is definitely restrictive, so what's the best solution. I am looking at the Stahl sidepipe headers model #216. Has anyone installed these on there 502 Gen VI engine? A couple of questions come to mind:

1) Looks like they have 2 1/8" primaries. Do they fit ok? Is there enough clearance around the plug wires, Steeroids steering universals, etc.?

2) Their web site refers to "high port heads" I am assuming that is related to the fact that the 502 Gen VI exhaust ports sit slightly higher, but still within the port diameter of the old stock manifolds?? I have the ARP lower profile head bolts, will they clear?

3) I want to keep the stock (fiberglass) covers, so what extensions (diameter?) and muffler inserts should I look at? How do I get the extension tips to exit under the covers looking properly?

4) any other guidance or concerns I should be aware of?

Any help is appreciated

Bullshark
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Witz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can fit a 3.5" pipe under the stock covers with just a 3/8" spacer. Can't tell the difference in appearance at all. The tips are not cut on mine, but they can be (you just might lose a few horsepower). I have a post from several weeks ago with some details of my Stahl set-up and the STS baffles that I used. I am very pleased with both.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are they 3.5 or 4" collectors.

there was a post here a while back an the guy did a real nice job on a SBC...

Found it...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=sidepipes+son

I can CNC plasma up any thing you need for mounting in brackets
Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I to would like to upgrade my headers, but the price of the Stahl's are a little out of my price range. Also won't a 2 1/2" primary hurt low end torque for street driving?. I have the heddman headers with 1 3/4 primaries that I used with my old 427, they fit the 502 but I think they are very restrictive. Does anyone make a 1 7/8" or 2" setup for the D port 502. My car is a street/ highway driver that see's the strip once or twice a year so low end HP/TQ are what I'm looking for. If you can please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Russ
Bullshark sorry I jacked your thread.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Did you catch this thread? They are beautiful!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1597898

JIM
Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Thanks guys Those threads really helped. I use to have Hooker sidepipes on this car awhile back with the original 454 and remember all the issues. The #8 cylinder primary tube came so close to the A/C box it burned a hole in the fiberglass. Looking at the #2 tube routing on the Stahls, I wonder about the A/C compressor mount? I will have to mount the O2 sensor out on the corner pipe after the collector so at that distance away from the heads, a wide band will definitely be required to do any good in closed loop. Plug access looked ok from the pics. Witz, I can't tell from the pics but the 3.5" tubes don't hang below the bottom of the covers....do they? I think I am ready for an educated call to Stahl

Bullshark
Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Thanks guys Those threads really helped. I use to have Hooker sidepipes on this car awhile back with the original 454 and remember all the issues. The #8 cylinder primary tube came so close to the A/C box it burned a hole in the fiberglass. Looking at the #2 tube routing on the Stahls, I wonder about the A/C compressor mount? I will have to mount the O2 sensor out on the corner pipe after the collector so at that distance away from the heads, a wide band will definitely be required to do any good in closed loop. Plug access looked ok from the pics. Witz, I can't tell from the pics but the 3.5" tubes don't hang below the bottom of the covers....do they? I think I am ready for an educated call to Stahl

Bullshark
I've got the first set they made for genVI 502 C3 application according to them at the time they built them for me. I hope they learned alot since then. The bolt holes in the flanges did not suit the heads. There were no access areas in the flanges for the head mounted temp sender. The installed height (lowest point) was a almost a half inch lower on the passenger side of the car. #3 spark plug required a collapsable socket to install/remove, not to mention all of the skin off of my knuckles. On and off about three times tweaking the fit. For the price, I would liked for them to have been a little less frustrating.

Dave
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder
For the price, I would liked for them to have been a little less frustrating.
Dave
Hi Dave Great to hear from you I think this was the topic I was playing with way back in 03 when we first talked. As you can see, I have been kicking the can on this one for some time. For the vary reasons you point out. Keep that beer cold, I am still planning on stopping by some day when I'm in the neighborhood

Bullshark
Old 01-18-2007, 01:04 PM
442olds
Pro

I have them on my big block. If you switch to autolite 3924 plugs, you can use a 5/8" sparkplug socket rather than the r43's 13/16 socket requirements. I also dented the area around the #3 plug so that a socket would fit in there a little beter. The jeep steering box also adds a little more clearance issues getting to the #3 plug. All in all they aren't that bad for plug access. I used MSD's racing (orange in color) 120 degree angled boots and haven't burnt a plug wire yet with over 13000 miles.

The larger pipe is offset by the short primary tube length of 29". Where as the hookers have the same size primary pipe but are 45" in length. The bottom end of my 427 is unreal with the stahls. I was worried and really wanted something in the 32~35" range but these headers work great.

Mine do have the ground clearance issue mentioned above with the one side being a little lower than the other, but in my case it was more like an inch. But from the looks of the posting by Chris Johnson they look pretty even now. So maybe they fixed the jigs.

I still had to notch mine for the arp head bolts and I think I had to notch a little around where the temp sender goes into the head. They fit really well and i can remove them from under the car without removing anything other than the side pipes.

Oh and you can order them with the 3.5" or 4" collector. i went with the 3.5".
Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

Bullshark
Hey Bullshark, my motor and headers are the pics in the thread 427Hotrod linked. They are 2 1/8" primaries, and they fit great! All I had to do was remove the starter to slip them between that and the Steeroids bracket, then put the starter back on. I'd advise using temporary studs - made it much easier to install. I used 4 temp studs per side to hold them on.

They asked what heads I have, and they knew exactly how to match them to the Brodix BB2Plus heads I have. If my heads would have been modified, they said I could send a port template and they'd match them to the template! These are made to order, and it took them 2 weeks right before Christmas to do mine. They also asked what size collectors I have, so if you need them smaller to fit under the covers, that shouldn't be a problem for them. Just depends if it would work as far as performance goes.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Hi Dave Great to hear from you I think this was the topic I was playing with way back in 03 when we first talked. As you can see, I have been kicking the can on this one for some time. For the vary reasons you point out. Keep that beer cold, I am still planning on stopping by some day when I'm in the neighborhood

Bullshark
You too Bob!

Beers always cold, come on down.

Dave
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Instructor

I have the 2 1/8" Stahls with raised ports. Fit great. I ordered mine with 4" collectors but could have got 3 1/2'.

Get notified of new replies

To Stahl side pipe headers for RamJet 502

Quick Reply: Stahl side pipe headers for RamJet 502