C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?

Old 12-16-2006, 08:53 PM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?

I'm sure that this has been beaten to death somewhere in the past. But why does GM insist on the Skip Shift? How many peoople actually use it. I always rev out of that band and will get an eliminator tonight. But again the question does GM not realize that Vette owners dont want it? I consider myself still young at 31, but I even spoke to an older Gentleman the other day that had already replaced his. So my point is I don't even think age is a factor here. Is it an emmisions thing?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 PM
MYVetteBy25
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Would you rather pay a $1000 gas guzzler tax? If GM did not put in skip shift you'd be stuck paying that. Be thankful that GM made it so easily defeatable.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:04 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by nightmel
I'm sure that this has been beaten to death somewhere in the past. But why does GM insist on the Skip Shift? How many peoople actually use it. I always rev out of that band and will get an eliminator tonight. But again the question does GM not realize that Vette owners dont want it? I consider myself still young at 31, but I even spoke to an older Gentleman the other day that had already replaced his. So my point is I don't even think age is a factor here. Is it an emmisions thing?
I'm not a fan of CAGS but without it we all “might” have been paying a big time GAS GUZZLER TAX to GREEDY Uncle Sam! Ask a Viper owner what that costs. In the scheme of things it's a small inconvenience for saving vette owners a nice piece of change!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:05 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd rather pay the $1000 GG tax than spend $20 on a part... Heck I can even roll the $1000 in financing... LOL
Old 12-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Desmoden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really don't see the issue with this....

You have 400lbs and 400horses. Why are you ever shifting under 4k? Hell, wait till 5k, sounds even better.

I never even see it, I just never shift with the rpms that low
Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, wasn't expecting sarcasm, but I think I got my question answered. I know what the CAGS does but didnt know about the gas guzzler tax. That's kewl if thats the real case, but damn what a pain in the azz.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightmel
Is it an emmisions thing?:cheers
No, it is a Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) thing. CAFE specifies a ridiculus test procedure for the CITY rating that should be properly done in first and second gear in the C6, perhaps third for a bit, but that would result in terrible CITY test ratings. So GM invented CAGS to force the car to run in 4th gear for most of the test, and we're stuck with it.

I also think GM has made some damn stupid decisions with C6 gearing, what with two overdrives, including that nearly useless sixth gear. I'd prefer fifth as 1:1 and sixth being the equivalent of the Z51 fifth gear. Then we'd have some closer spacing between 1st-5th.

Personally I think the government should get rid of CAFE entirely and let the market drive fuel economy. Then GM could use their brainpower to solve real problems, and not the artificial ones created by government bureaucrats.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:29 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey Mel, does your silver vette have the optional factory gray wheels? If so, could you post or Email me a picture? Would certainly appreciate it. I'll go with the silver, but am debating gray wheels as well as titanium/black 2-tone seats. Unfortunately, that means special ordering the car, and saving much less than a stock one, but want to do it right.

Ivy, you seem very knowledgeable about gear ratios, and am also debating the Z51 option. I decided to go with the MN6, but don't need the Z51 other than the cool-looking rotors and gear ratios... IF BETTER. Do you know what's the difference between ratios of normal vs Z51? And which one do you think is better for strictly street duty? Thanks man.
JC
Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Desmoden
You have 400lbs and 400horses. Why are you ever shifting under 4k? Hell, wait till 5k, sounds even better.

Never shifted under 4K? Hmm either you have never seen 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th or you speed alot.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:26 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

One, if not the actual first, thing I do is program the PCM to remove this function. I have EFILive and when I get my C6 home, I'll program OUT the skip shift. It's a bloody nuisance and I'll not have it on the car from day 1.

E
Old 12-16-2006, 10:41 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MYVetteBy25
Would you rather pay a $1000 gas guzzler tax? If GM did not put in skip shift you'd be stuck paying that. Be thankful that GM made it so easily defeatable.
Be careful what you wish for!!

GM is doing the RIGHT thing IMO.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:46 PM
SgtVette
4th Gear

Same here, just ride it out. What I hate is that it will force you to shift from 1-4 if you catch it just right.

Last edited by SgtVette; 12-16-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:46 PM
666C6
Heel & Toe

Can someone explain how the skip shift actually functions? I'm in the market for a new C6 and want to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 PM
07C6Z51
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by MYVetteBy25
True, looked at the new Saleen Mustang today, it has a $1.000 gas guzzler tax.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Irv
No, it is a Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) thing. CAFE specifies a ridiculus test procedure for the CITY rating that should be properly done in first and second gear in the C6, perhaps third for a bit, but that would result in terrible CITY test ratings. So GM invented CAGS to force the car to run in 4th gear for most of the test, and we're stuck with it.

I also think GM has made some damn stupid decisions with C6 gearing, what with two overdrives, including that nearly useless sixth gear. I'd prefer fifth as 1:1 and sixth being the equivalent of the Z51 fifth gear. Then we'd have some closer spacing between 1st-5th.

Personally I think the government should get rid of CAFE entirely and let the market drive fuel economy. Then GM could use their brainpower to solve real problems, and not the artificial ones created by government bureaucrats.
I respectfully disagree on the C6 gearing. I feel the C6 with its' closer gearbox (as opposed to the Z51 gearbox) is just about perfect. Although 6th gear is certainly reserved more for Interstate cruising....it is nice to be 'idling-along' at 75-80 mph at about 1500+ RPMs. Gas mileage isn't a major consideration for me but to average 28-31 mpg on a long trip in a performance sports car isn't too shabby. Besides, how else would Corvette be able to advertise a 186mph C6 without those 'overdrive' gears?

As for CAGS, even before CAGS was eliminated via tuning on my 403, I think the skip-shift feature only engaged 2 times in all the months I drove with it. I didn't like when skip-shift activated but overall, it was hardly a problem and it sure beats paying a 'gas-guzzler' tax.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Let's see: gas Tax of $1000 or more, shift over 2kRPM or $20 bucks to defeat it ? Sorry guys, GM wins here, good thinking on their parts, by the way under 1 minute to install the unit once the car is up
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 AM
PappyTinker
Melting Slicks

Location: Life ain't no dress rehearsal, are you gonna wait to get your toys til AFTER you have a heart attack?

Originally Posted by vetteship
Let's see: gas Tax of $1000 or more, shift over 2kRPM or $20 bucks to defeat it ? Sorry guys, GM wins here, good thinking on their parts, by the way under 1 minute to install the unit once the car is up
Absolutely. And, those overdrive gears are great. 30+ mpg highway on 6th, you bet!

Get notified of new replies

To 1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm...dont have any of those problems with my C6 A6 and now enjoy paddle shifting after hacking the wiring. Left paddle downshift, Right paddle upshift and those silly thumb buttons no longer needed or used.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SgtVette
Same here, just ride it out. What I hate is that it will force you to shift from 1-4 if you catch it just right.
Doesn't bother me. When it goes 1-4, I just push it up into 3rd if I don't want 4th. In that driving scenario, 3rd has plenty of torque and it's not a problem. When driving it the way it was intended, there is no 1-4 to worry about. And I'll take the benefit--no gas guzzler tax, for the very slight--and rare, inconvenience.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:46 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1-4 Skip Shift, WHY GM WHY?