C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beef up the C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
ZuluZulu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Beef up the C6

I posted this on the tuning thread but didnt get any responses. I thought I would try here.

Getting my 2006 Z51 C6 dyno tuned next week. I have done Kooks headers with off road (non Converter) x-pipe and a flowmaster exhuast. I am also adding the 160 degree thermo.

I really don't know all that much about tunes and what should be done. I am really at the mercy of the guy doing the tune. Should I be asking certain question when I get there? Is there certain things I should request him to do? I do know he is going to be using an HP tuner. Atleast that is what he told me on the phone.

I hate to go in for the tune and show my ignorance and have him take advantage of my money. If anybody has a breakdown of all the things I should look for and specs I want...that would be helpfull.

Thanks guys
Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well since you got rid of cats he'll need to turn off the emissions codes for those so you don't throw an SES. For the 160 thermo he'll need to change your fan settings, for the long tubes he'll need to adjust your A/F ratio. Then it's time to mess with timing to get your best hp/tq ratting. Pretty basic stuff really, you shouldn't have any problems, just ask for a dyno sheet with your A/F on it and you can see how it looks for yourself as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Justin said. Make sure you have a before and after dyno, I would assume that is included but you know what they say about assuming (nice to have a dyno before any mods but it sounds too late for that). You don't mention it but I'm curious if you added an aftermarket intake? If you're ever going to add one (why not?) before the tune would be the time. I guess my point is if you're going to do any other 'breathing' mods do them before you fork out 4-600 for the tune. You didn't mention mileage, if the car is real low mileage (2-3K or less) ask what a 'tweak' to the tune later will set you back. Ask what he'd charge to put the tune back should some unforseen circumstance put you in a spot where a dealer over writes his tune. If you don't have references ( I would!) and have the least bit of a hinky feeling (dirty shop, attitude) find another tuner. I'm no gearhead, just posting my opinion/experience, it's worth what you paid for it! Good luck, post up results of whatever you do.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Dgatto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin98TransAm
well since you got rid of cats he'll need to turn off the emissions codes for those so you don't throw an SES. For the 160 thermo he'll need to change your fan settings, for the long tubes he'll need to adjust your A/F ratio. Then it's time to mess with timing to get your best hp/tq ratting. Pretty basic stuff really, you shouldn't have any problems, just ask for a dyno sheet with your A/F on it and you can see how it looks for yourself as well.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:17 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin98TransAm

Ahhhhhh I seeeeeee, good info, Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Beef up the C6

Quick Reply: Beef up the C6