C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure line..

Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Oil Pressure line..

I want to revisit this since I am now the one affected. Night before the ALMS race in Monterey and I'm doing some last minute clean-up, brush up against the white plastic pressure line and it disintigrates before my eyes!

If memory serves (such that it is), the original line is a black plastic, much better than the after-market white plastic stuff I used a few years ago when I had the dash apart. So, where do I get it and how does one determine if it's the good stuff? My inclination is to use copper line through the firewall, and then plastic to the block to allow for flex.

However, my engine barely moves on it's mounts, and all the old stuff used copper anyway, so why not just go copper all the way? I certainly wouldn't have to worry about it being affected by the oil, heat, environmet, etc... What say you all?

Hans
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
genuine1980
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrencher
I want to revisit this since I am now the one affected. Night before the ALMS race in Monterey and I'm doing some last minute clean-up, brush up against the white plastic pressure line and it disintigrates before my eyes!

If memory serves (such that it is), the original line is a black plastic, much better than the after-market white plastic stuff I used a few years ago when I had the dash apart. So, where do I get it and how does one determine if it's the good stuff? My inclination is to use copper line through the firewall, and then plastic to the block to allow for flex.

However, my engine barely moves on it's mounts, and all the old stuff used copper anyway, so why not just go copper all the way? I certainly wouldn't have to worry about it being affected by the oil, heat, environmet, etc... What say you all?

Hans
DO NOT USE COPPER!!!! While copper gives a more accurate reading, it will break faster than nylon.

I had copper in mine from the engine to firewall and three times it broke while driving. Oil pissed out all over the headers, smoke everywhere... WHAT A MESS!!! Barely made it to a gas station each time to temporarily plug the hole until I made repairs.

Now I have nylon running from the block to the firewall and fire wall to dash... hasn't broke yet 3 years later and it gives a good enough reading for the everyday vette user.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

My white plastic line has held up for 10 years now. Maybe I should consider changing it soon.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:14 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I just did this as part of the frame on. I first used the white stuff in the aftermarket kits with all the ferrules, well they didn't seal. Iworked it a couple of times and tried other fittings but that orignal tapered seat is different. I ended up buying the line from a vendor that was already crimped and it have worked ok so far.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:27 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Copper will work harden and crack from vibration over time. GM used a copper plated STEEL line for some years so there is some confusion out there on this issue.

Get a proper steel line or use a plastic one. I run plastic.

-Mark.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about a braided steel line. i see jegs sells them...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gordonm
My white plastic line has held up for 10 years now. Maybe I should consider changing it soon.
Mine looked great, but was brittle as h**l when I started to handle it. I'd really like a source for the black stuff...

Hans
Old 10-31-2006, 04:32 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by fugawi
what about a braided steel line. i see jegs sells them...

I didn't take the dash apart so I only spliced it to a shortened piece of plastic to the gauge. I didn't run it completely to the gauge yet.

Last edited by Jughead; 10-31-2006 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Default Not bad..

Using braided in the engine compartment is probably the way to go. I'd guess the under-dash plastic tubing would be fine since it gets no ambient external heat, the oil in the line would be relatively cool, and it wouldn't be disturbed. Gotta find that black line!

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure line..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure line..