C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics

Old 10-28-2006, 01:30 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics

As you know I have found a clutch pedal stop that is custom made by Carolina Clutch.. I have researched and found that overextending the clutch also contributes to sticky pedal.. My main goal was to help eliminate the sticky pedal syndrome and secondarily increase my shifting speed.

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/110183.aspx

I finally installed and tested it. After looking at it I decided to mod it before installing it... The bolt with the big washer on it is to depress the starter interlock switch and the unheaded bolt is used as the actual STOP. I felt the unheaded bolt was a bit too pointy and could cause a wear point on the floorboard...

Original Stop

I went to Home Depot and replaced it with a 3" Carriage Bolt.. The letters CBH. It is just a bit longer than the original stud and offers more surface area for the stop..

Now to install it.. You need to cut the tab off the side of the clutch pedal to mount this stop.. I used my mini hacksaw. The Tab was only intended to press the start interlock switch.. I found out even without the tab it still works fine..

After it is off, I filed the rough edges smooth..

Here is a pic of it in the mounted position

Here is a pic of it in the fully depressed position. You can clearly see where the stop bolt makes contact with the steel plate on the floor..

I adjusted it so that when the clutch pedal is bottomed out all I need to do is lift about 1/2" and it just starts to engage. I will make this a tad bit more for safety..

The Test Drive... Takes a second to get used to it.. but I love the feel! I noticed the car shifts much smoother now.. Not as jerky when there was 3 extra inches of pedal play before engagement.. And Quick shifting is like lightning now.. Scary fast.. I need get used to it...

I spoke to the owner of Carolina Clutch for quite a while on the phone.. He explained that this is mainly to keep from overextending the clutch. This contributes GREATLY to the Sticky Pedal syndrome as once you are past the release point that centrifical force can keep it there..

Last edited by chuckster; 10-29-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:36 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Nice write up and pics, I'll be doing this soon.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:16 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Thank you Chuck! You da man
Old 10-28-2006, 06:23 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Thank you Chuck! You da man

So what do you think? Ya gonna try it?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Chuck,

I've often thought that the clutch pedal has way too much travel and I really like your solution. Thanks for the great write up and the link to Carolina Clutch for us....
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by chuckster
So what do you think? Ya gonna try it?
Yes I will! I changed the fluid in my reservoir and bled the clutch for the AutoX tomorrow. I will let you know if I have sticky clutch again or not Hopefully not! I will try it as soon as it gets here
Old 10-28-2006, 09:22 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

chuckster you are not a clutchster now taking credit for the travel. bad boy i recall ya thought the main shaft was stickingt hub. i would have let get away with it but ya forgot the main thing CENTRIPETAL SO FOR YOUR TRANGRESSION you will never be a clutchster. nor will i tell ya i posted more of MY [not yours] tips on clutch in c6 z06. chuckster i,m very dissapointed in you. at long last sir do you have no sense of deciency
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by chuckster
As you know I have found a clutch pedal stop that is custom made by Carolina Clutch.. I have felt that overextending the clutch contributes to sticky pedal.. My main goal was to help eliminate the sticky pedal syndrome and secondarily increase my shifting speed.

http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/110183.aspx

I finally installed and tested it. After looking at it I decided to mod it before installing it... The bolt with the big washer on it is to depress the starter interlock switch and the unheaded bolt is used as the actual STOP. I felt the unheaded bolt was a bit too pointy and could cause a wear point on the floorboard...

Original Stop

I went to Home Depot and replaced it with a 3" Carriage Bolt.. The letters CBH. It is just a bit longer than the original stud and offers more surface area for the stop..

Now to install it.. You need to cut the tab off the side of the clutch pedal to mount this stop.. I used my mini hacksaw. The Tab was only intended to press the start interlock switch.. I found out even without the tab it still works fine..

After it is off, I filed the rough edges smooth..

Here is a pic of it in the mounted position

Here is a pic of it in the fully depressed position. You can clearly see where the stop bolt makes contact with the steel plate on the floor..

I adjusted it so that when the clutch pedal is bottomed out all I need to do is lift about 1/2" and it just starts to engage. I will make this a tad bit more for safety..

The Test Drive... Takes a second to get used to it.. but I love the feel! I noticed the car shifts much smoother now.. Not as jerky when there was 3 extra inches of pedal play before engagement.. And Quick shifting is like lightning now.. Scary fast.. I need get used to it...

I spoke to the owner of Carolina Clutch for quite a while on the phone.. He explained that this is mainly to keep from overextending the clutch. This contributes GREATLY to the Sticky Pedal syndrome as once you are past the release point that centrifical force can keep it there..
Great job Chuck! I know that guys like you and Shirl have been working this issue off and on for several years now. Keep us updated on the results.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

hes low on milk too go get him some
Old 10-28-2006, 10:12 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

I just checked my pedal freeplay today and it moves about 3/4 inch off the floor before engauging which I think is fine. I have no clutch spring on and change my clutch fluid every month and dont have sticking problem or hard pedal.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by patton
chuckster you are not a clutchster now taking credit for the travel. bad boy i recall ya thought the main shaft was stickingt hub. i would have let get away with it but ya forgot the main thing CENTRIPETAL SO FOR YOUR TRANGRESSION you will never be a clutchster. nor will i tell ya i posted more of MY [not yours] tips on clutch in c6 z06. chuckster i,m very dissapointed in you. at long last sir do you have no sense of deciency

I learned something along my travels of trying to stop the sticky clutch... I am not trying to "Take Credit" for anything? I simply posted my modded pedal...

Next time take your meds before you post...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:20 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

ya know what ya did cupcake . stupid sunglasses but they look good on you
Old 10-29-2006, 12:31 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Dude, you are really hard to follow.... I have not done anything that is not in black and white here on the forum. Here is my other post where I was doing research and went off on a tangent...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1517843

Still don't see where I did something wrong...

I attached your response in bold below to my thread about adjusting pedal distance.. Remember... I posted that thread Before you agreed with me..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1518950

CHUCKSTER you are now a CLUCHSTER i,m proud of ya boy. ive been preaching it for years .my best friend wanted to kill me he was bitchin about clutch issues i happened to have a piece of wood with glue on it and i opened his door and put it on the floor to lessen travel[this was 5/6 years ago. he was screamin about the glue and left came back 1 hr. later with his mouth open . he wanted to give me lots of money it cured it. we still laugh about it he,s had to reglue it many times. i wouldnt let him put something betterin there cuz he yelled at me. be advised this doesnt fix all clutch issues just the ones with high release the wooden block limits travel so size it to fit

First you commend me... Then when I do a write up to pass on info to others you thow me under the bus?

And at the same time doing it in such a manor that makes me think you've been drinking.... ALOT.......

EDIT****
You make the assumtion I follow you around on the forum and know who you are and I "Stole" your ideas.... I went back and searched your other posts that I have not read.. While after extensive dechiphering I have determined you do seem to understand what you are talking about. So I give you credit for that only...

But I offer these tips.

1. Proofread ALL your responses before hitting the send button. If you want respect on a forum.. Earn it and make it look like you have a high school education.
2. Your a bright guy. Stop taking insult for all ideas discussed on an open forum with thousands of people. Just becuase you had a similar idea does not make it yours.

Oh, and be nice....

Last edited by chuckster; 10-29-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:36 AM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about maybe a small piece of rubber either glued to the floor or on the end of the carriage bolt to soften the contact at the end of the travel?

Chris
Old 10-29-2006, 12:37 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by briann510
I just checked my pedal freeplay today and it moves about 3/4 inch off the floor before engauging which I think is fine. I have no clutch spring on and change my clutch fluid every month and dont have sticking problem or hard pedal.

Do you have a stock master? or Adjustable? 3/4"off the floor would be great..

Do you have a lot of free play at the begining of the pedal? That would not make sense since it's a Hydraulic clutch.. It should start pushing the slave immediately..

My current clutch goes from fully engaged to fully released in about 2 or 3 inches of my pedal.. The rest of the way to the floor is wasted motion..
Old 10-29-2006, 12:38 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by DngrZne
Have you thought about maybe a small piece of rubber either glued to the floor or on the end of the carriage bolt to soften the contact at the end of the travel?

Chris
I did consider that exact concept.. I was thinking of adding one of those heavy felt pads that you put under furniture legs..
Old 10-29-2006, 06:54 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Where's all this coming from, did I miss something?

The guys made a technical contribution to the forum by modifying an existing product, documenting the entire process so that other here will benefit from and you're trashing him.

Attacking his appearance because you don't like his sunglasses?

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics

Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice write-up and pictures. Going to give it a shot when I installed my Textralia clutch.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Quasar Z
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am assuming that you are the same troll from the ZR-1 Net, is that correct? Maybe you should consider either getting through junior high school or going back if you have already somehow skated through. The jibberish that you write is very difficult to understand and frustrating to try to decipher. If you are going to attempt to insult someone at least do it with a shred of intelligence and maybe a little bit of correct grammar/punctuation. Now go tell your mom what you have done so she can ground you from the computer for one week. Looks like it's back to the hot wheels cars for you patton

Thanks for the detailed post on the clutch stop chuckster. This is on my list of things to do for the winter
Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You need to listen to your parents and finish high school. I got a bad headache from trying to read your post. I highly doubt those were your ideas.

Last edited by Ikester; 10-29-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Stop Installed - Writeup/Pics