Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket seats on stock rails?

Old 10-27-2006, 09:33 AM
...Mark...
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aftermarket seats on stock rails?

Is this even feasible?

If so which seats?

I'm thinking its not worth the headache.

Last edited by ...Mark...; 10-27-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM
woosch
Pro

There are a few seats that use the stock rails. What are you looking for? Just an upgraded seat, check out Caravagio (SP), there are quite a few race seat options some with stock rails some with aftermarket.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:28 AM
...Mark...
Race Director

Originally Posted by woosch
There are a few seats that use the stock rails. What are you looking for? Just an upgraded seat, check out Caravagio (SP), there are quite a few race seat options some with stock rails some with aftermarket.
Looking at the Corbeau A4's or a similar style reclining sport seat. I want to keep the cost down (under $1k) so the Caravagio's are not an option. I'm just looking for a little more lateral support.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 AM
woosch
Pro

The biggest issue is finding seats that will fit in the car, width wise... I do know Corbeau does make a few styles that will fit.

You should have said something the other day at the house, you could have tried the Cobra I have sitting there. It doesn't use stock rails but does mount in the stock position.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:36 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's worth it. I mounted a Cobra Monaco seat to the stock electric seat rails (with some small fashioned steel angle brackets) when I first started prepping my car. The seat could move any way I wanted using the stock seat controller. Then, I switched over to a set of stock manual seat rails when I needed to drop a few more lbs out of the car. I'm finally down to a set of the Hardbar aluminum seat rails to save even more weight and make the seat mounting stronger.

My best recommendation is to use the Hardbar mounts unless you really need to move the seat up and back quite often. Once I got mine set and in a good spot, I realized I didn't need to move it anymore which is why I got the Hardbar mounts. They are rock solid!!!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
...Mark...
Race Director

Originally Posted by woosch
You should have said something the other day at the house, you could have tried the Cobra I have sitting there.
Hey Chris. I wasn't thinking about it then. I came across a guy locally who is looking for 2 Z06 seats yesterday evening and i figured why not swap them out. The stock vette seats suck in terms of lateral support. The seats in my old 300zx TT were 10 times better and that car was almost 15 years old..

And for the record, i had to have my wife help change that bulb..

Last edited by ...Mark...; 10-27-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:35 PM
...Mark...
Race Director

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I mounted a Cobra Monaco seat to the stock electric seat rails (with some small fashioned steel angle brackets) when I first started prepping my car. The seat could move any way I wanted using the stock seat controller.
Is there a FAQ out there on how to do this mod?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:42 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I mounted the Caravaggio seats to my stock rails, both driver's and passenger's, and they work fine. I used some of that 3M double sided tape to secure the seat controller to the driver's seat. Driver's seat adjuster and memory work just fine. And I love the seats.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:26 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6-way power /memory Sparco Evo in one of my Z's (facilitates multiple drivers). Hardbar mounted Sparco Evo in the other........Hardbar mounting is rigid enough to "rock" vehicle with the seat to settle it, Sparco mounted on factory seat frame in the other car is not.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
...Mark...
Race Director

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
6-way power /memory Sparco Evo in one of my Z's (facilitates multiple drivers)..

Can i get a little more info on how you did this?

Old 10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark08
Can i get a little more info on how you did this?

1 Sparco Evo seat, 2 Sparco aluminum side brackets. removed seat from
lower seat frame/transmission assy ( necessary to remove lower seat cover to get to fasteners). Fabricated steel 1" (wide) 1/8" (thick) brace between rear seat attachment points on stock seat frame(probably 20 inches or so long). This created a place to mount Sparco side brackets in the rear , used factory seat mounting locations in front to mount Sparco brackets. Some minor contouring and elongating of holes in factory Sparco brackets were required. No that big of a deal, afternoon, couple of trips to the hardware store, couple of beers.....it will be all good.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
HeyFred
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my seat install.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1499761

Seat is adjustable front to back. Have logged several hundred miles driving freeway and city with my seat modification. No issues.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:33 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Here's a "how to" Corbeau install ...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...hlight=corbeau
Old 10-28-2006, 11:49 PM
...Mark...
Race Director

Thanks, i have seen that. I was interested in how he hooked up his seat to the stock rails and kept the power seat option.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket seats on stock rails?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket seats on stock rails?