C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights not working

Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 AM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dash lights not working

Hey All,

Need some help! My dash lights went out tonight. I've checked the fuse and it looks o.k. Could it be the headlight switch? I never had any adjustment with the switch to dim the dash lights. I could only set the switch so that they just come on. Any ideas of what it may be?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:29 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a bad contact at the rheostat at the switch or a bad switch.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 AM
mirrorfinishman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the headlight switch could have become defective, since you said you never had any adjustment with the switch to dim the dash lights. Try rotating the **** back and forth to see it that will clean up the contacts of the rheostat contacts.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 AM
cochise12us
Advanced

Default fuses

asian limo driver , just for shts and grins change the fuse , or to be really sure its good check the continuity of the fuse , alot of times fuses look good but have a broken filament behind the fuse barrel , just a thought to help you out . its a cheap and possibly a quick fix
Old 10-20-2006, 08:07 AM
mirrorfinishman
Instructor

If your headlights still work, then it is something other than a bad fuse.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
If your headlights still work, then it is something other than a bad fuse.
How so? isnt there seperate fuses for dash illumination and headlights?

I think so at least.. but could be wrong.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:26 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check to see if your brake lights work??? GM linked the brake light to the dash lights. If you brake lights blow a fuse the dash lights go out as an indicator there is a problem. Check the brake light fuse,
ESU
Old 10-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Fuse. Pull it and replace it. I've seen them where they looked fine but were blown with with an almost invisible break.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Check all your fuses!!!! I just went through a couple of months of hell tracing down a short. The short caused the dash lights to go out in addition to the tail lights, parking lights, and turn signals. It turned out to be the two wires that run to the brake pedal switch which are on a different fuse than the dash lights. Check them all and replace the bad ones before you start tearing things apart.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
BadMedcn
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default AsianLimoDriver

Keep us up on the issue. I am already getting good info on my own problem via your thread. My 01 Vert just decided to not use its back end lights. Funny thing is..........
Engine off, unlock car and as usual, all lights on, brakes, parking, reverse and dash. Get in, turn on ignition and dash goes off (DIC still works) as well as brakes, reverse, parking/running lamps. Headlights and front end all work fine as well as hazards and direction indicators, front and back. Weird...but I have stopped 4 times in 2 days by "the man". While I am glad to know my tax money is being spent on well trained peace officers, I am getting tired of the routine and sooner or later one of them is going to decide to write me up. All the fuses in passenger wheel well and under hood are functioning with ignition on and off. What gives boys?? Make you a deal.....I'll pass on any helpful info I get if you do same!? Thanks brother..

Ron
Old 10-23-2006, 02:36 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ES, you nailed it right on the nail head. I checked my rear brake lights and they were out too. Replaced the fuses, brake light and dash lights. Solved my problem. As for my headlight swith not allowing me to dim the dash lights, I guess that I'll just have to live with it.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:36 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asianlimodriver
ES, you nailed it right on the nail head. I checked my rear brake lights and they were out too. Replaced the fuses, brake light and dash lights. Solved my problem. As for my headlight swith not allowing me to dim the dash lights, I guess that I'll just have to live with it.
My pleasure sir to be of assistance. I learned about the link between the two the hard way after getting a summons from a suffolk county cop many years ago in my 77 TA. Couldnt figure for the life of me what was wrong when a very knowledgable mechanic friend told me about it. No more tickets for me.
ESU

Get notified of new replies

To Dash lights not working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash lights not working