Sponsored by:

"Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"

This thread title was brought up in another thread when the topic of the "Corvette wave" came up. One member stated that the Corvette wave is dying because there are more "young people who own Corvettes" on the road versus "true Corvette owners".

This baffled me because, as a young person (25 years old), I feel like this is an indirect insult from the older generation towards the younger generation. This had me wondering. What is indeed a 'real' Corvette owner? Is this the same as a real Corvette enthusiast?

Browsing around this forum, it's apparent that most people think 'real' owners are those who drive their automatic Corvettes only on warm, sunny Sundays wearing their Corvette hats and polo shirts, going 5 mph under the speed limit.

In my opinion, you'll find a 'real' Corvette enthusiast at the local test and tune or auto cross event on the weekends driving their car the way it was meant to be driven and not just stored in a garage like a trophy. I feel like most older owners are out of touch with reality and own Corvettes just for the image and do not like the fact that more younger people are buying Corvettes everyday. Realistically, this is the farthest from a real enthusiast as it can be. Who can consider this type of person a 'real' Corvette owner? In my opinion, museum/trophy owners are just "people who own Corvettes."

For example, look at the Z06. The average age of a Z06 owner is only 30 years old. Whether C5 or C6, it is in the purest form, the most true enthusiast-based Corvette ever made. There are no extra weight, such as chrome add-ons, removable tops, power robbing transmissions, etc., just a high horse power motor and a 6-speed. Just drop the hammer and go.

What is your definition of a "real Corvette owner?"

Last edited by Ryan L; 10-19-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 AM
fmuto42
Instructor

<-------- That right there makes all Corvette owners proud people but for some it goes farther and deeper!!! I myself am 28 and own a 2004 C5 coupe Comm. Edition. I've owned an older 911, F-150 Lightning's and a 2003 Mustang Cobra Conv. and I must say that the Corvette is my most favorite. Not only b/c of the heritage and proud american history behind it but b/c of the feeling a piloting my own personal jet fighter. I think that "owners" come in all shapes, colors and sexes. For the older folks that if you want to wear your polo shirts drive autos and go under the speed limit by 5 mph thats cool b/c at some point you were probably doing what I do!!!! Drive with my Maui Jims on, roof off, Bose system up and going 50 mph over the speed limit on the Interstates like it was my own personal Talladega ----- just kidding but everyone knows that having fun is the name of the game when owning a Corvette!!!!!

This I'll say in closing that the "corvette wave" is kinda unsettling b/c I as a "jet fighter pilot" of a Corvette my eyes are always scanning the road and always find my brotheren piloting another Corvette and I most certainly wave to my brother or sister but the favor not always returned. This may be the result of people not scanning the road as you should. Remember everyone we are piloting jet fighters and as a pilot we must know where everything is: In front of us / in back of us / or on either side!!!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
For example, look at the Z06. The average age of a Z06 owner is only 30 years old. Whether C5 or C6, it is in the purest form, the most true enthusiast-based Corvette ever made. There are no extra weight, such as chrome add-ons, removable tops, power robbing transmissions, etc., just a high horse power motor and a 6-speed. Just drop the hammer and go.

Ummm....35 years old here, but added my "touch" to my Z06 which includes chrome.

I guess an owner is one that bought the car and it not leasing it, IMO.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Frizzle86
Race Director

power robbing transmissions, etc., just a high horse power motor and a 6-speed. Just drop the hammer and go.

I am sorry, while i prefer the MN6 and MN12 trans over the A4 myself its just that you really need to learn that the lowly automatic transmission can be actualy better then stick. Infact if you have done any sort of reading you will notice that some people who have gone with very high HP applications have gone towards using Automatics rather then a manual trans.

I personaly prefer the manual but, the automatic has earned respect in my book if the guy has a stall and is puttin down the power.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

FYI, I just looked up the numbers and the average Corvette owner is 54 years old, whereas the average age of a Z06 owner is 35. Interesting to say the least.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

There are lots of different Corvette owners, just like there are a lot of different home owners. If you think I'm not a Corvette owner because I don't race mine, I beg to differ. I choose to do with mine what I want because I own it and not what others think I should do with it. I raced my 65 in the 60's, but I'm over it. Doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate that I could if I wanted to. You young whippersnappers race all you want, I don't criticize you for it. Return the favor.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
cl601amt
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone who enjoys their car, and does not get their nose out of joint because of a supposed insult. They don't care, they are about the car, not what others think.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

And exactly WHAT do you consider OLD ??? In my opinion you are only as old as you feel...A vette owner is a vette owner---regardless of what they do with their car..It's their car---they like it---they do what they want to it be it alot or a little and they take VERY good care of it. The wave I think is a mentality not an age issue. I have met and heard from some vette owners with real attitudes and have also been blessed to have those I have met on the road wave whether it be first or not. I play with my car and I will jump on her if the moment is right---I just don't go screwing around with her everyday taking chances. I am also doing little things to her that I like. Yes I ask for opinions but in the end I am the one making the decisions and spending my money not them---don't like what I have done---don't look. It has nothing to do with AGE at all but the mentality of those driving..The old saying is you get what you give---if they ignore you---someday they will be the one being ignored and they will probably not be happy about it..There are all types of vette owners---you can be one of the pleasant ones---or not.

It's up to you---Save the Wave or be ignored..

Last edited by btchn99; 10-19-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 AM
aquachuck1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Real Corvette Owner

This thread title was brought up in another thread when the topic of the "Corvette wave" came up. One member stated that the Corvette wave is dying because there are more "young people who own Corvettes" on the road versus "true Corvette owners".

This baffled me because, as a young person (25 years old), I feel like this is an indirect insult from the older generation towards the younger generation. This had me wondering. What is indeed a 'real' Corvette owner? Is this the same as a real Corvette enthusiast?

Browsing around this forum, it's apparent that most people think 'real' owners are those who drive their automatic Corvettes only on warm, sunny Sundays wearing their Corvette hats and polo shirts, going 5 mph under the speed limit.

In my opinion, you'll find a 'real' Corvette enthusiast at the local test and tune or auto cross event on the weekends driving their car the way it was meant to be driven and not just stored in a garage like a trophy. I feel like most older owners are out of touch with reality and own Corvettes just for the image and do not like the fact that more younger people are buying Corvettes everyday. Realistically, this is the farthest from a real enthusiast as it can be. Who can consider this type of person a 'real' Corvette owner? In my opinion, museum/trophy owners are just "people who own Corvettes."

A real Corvette Owner???? Well I own a ZO6....I dont fall into the average age for a ZO6 or a Vette for that matter. But my car is a daily driver....I change my own Oil..... I do most of my own repairs.....I have a set of the Shop Manuals........I just installed my own SC.....I am painting the hood today.....and I give the "V" wave.....Maybe I am a "real Corvette Owner"
Old 10-19-2006, 11:14 AM
HERK
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

real corvette owners are those that own corvettes.whether they wave or not they still love their vettes.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Hams
Pro

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I am 55 and enjoy driving the car the way I want to. I love taking the car on trips and seeing what it can do on curves. My track days (drag-strip)at this point I think are behind me, but i would at somepoint like to drive on an oval track and see what that like. PS ...I do wave Hams
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert

There are lots of different Corvette owners, just like there are a lot of different home owners. If you think I'm not a Corvette owner because I don't race mine, I beg to differ. I choose to do with mine what I want because I own it and not what others think I should do with it. I raced my 65 in the 60's, but I'm over it. Doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate that I could if I wanted to. You young whippersnappers race all you want, I don't criticize you for it. Return the favor.

I prefer to drive mine responsible. I don't race of any kind. I bought my Corvette to enjoy and that's how "I" enjoy it. I prefer to drive slow, while others look at my car as I drive by. If you want to race yours, go ahead, its your car. The wave seems to have gone by the wayside because some people think they are better than others because they make more money. I'm sorry I don't make as much money as a lot of some people on here, but I do love my car just as much. My .02
Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A real corvette owner is anyone who smiles because of the car they drive.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:23 AM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

I had my foot in my '77, had my foot in my '93 and have my foot in my'04 when the time is right. My '04 has 54,500+/- miles on it.

That makes me a Vette owner at a very young age as the '77 was bought in '77.

People are people and some are with the program and some are not. Nothing new there.

Best of luck!!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I am sixty and I currently own a 01 coupe 6 speed. This is my forth vette, although it has been a few years between this one and my last.

I have noticed that many of the new Corvettes C5-C6's are driven by the boomer generation (of which I am part of). Many of these are driving their first Corvette's and are not aware of this traditional wave. Therefore I simple wave at each and every vette I see. I remember years ago with my first (66 big block) Corvette that I simply though that everyone in Florida was friendly, as I had just moved here and purchased the vette. I soon learned that the wave was between vette drivers only. Just remember to wave to each and everyone you see, and they to will learn of the brotherhood.

Now for the difference in a REAL Corvette owner and people that own Corvette's. We are all of the same brotherhood, weather you drive it everyday, or it is a second fun car. It just so happens that all of by past Corvette's were daily drivers, were this one is not. My wife and I work within a few blocks of each other and we drive an SUV. The vette is used for club events, weekend trips and a few time a month I drive it to work. I still consider myself a REAL Corvette owner.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
JTJ
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Simple Logic or any kind of logic says that if you own a Corvette, you are a Corvette owner.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ever stop to think that a lot of us born in the 50's couldn't afford a Corvette until we got older. Now you see high school kids driving around in brand new cars! I drove a $200 beater when I was in high school. My parents didn't have any money to buy me a car, I washed dishes at the local restaurant to buy one. Now I'm almost 55 years old and own my 3rd Corvette. Had a 78, 85, and 98. I always wanted to drive, let alone own America's true muscle car. It just took years for the kids to get out of college, etc until I could afford it. Spent 20 years in the Army and I don't have to tell you that $60 a month pay in 1969 wouldn't buy a junk Corvette. Enough said, enjoy the greatest American icon.

Get notified of new replies

To "Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"

Old 10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
dh305
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm 53. I own a Supercharged, headers, exhaust, suspension, basically everything but internals have been done. I can go fast, I can go slow. I prefer fast, that's what the car was designed for. On the street I do a lot less aggressive driving than many owner's of high performance cars. I have had my share of tickets, heck, I got three tickets in four weeks when I first had my Supercharger installed. I stopped that, but I love putting my foot in it! I wave to all Corvette owner's. When I first purchased my car I was told that it is a "tradition" among Corvette owner's to do this. I try to keep it alive. Most people respond and some don't. To be honest I like it now that I am involved. It is something only Corvette owner's have been doing for years and it makes you feel as though you have friends on the road. I hope people continue to "WAVE" just because of the tradition and extension of friendship to other Corvette owner's.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the title to my Corvette, I would say that makes me the owner. If I didn't have the title I would say the bank owns it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 908 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I went back and looked at the thread and the quote your referenced. I think you mis-interpreted the quote. There was no reference to age anywhere in his post, he simply stated there are "Corvette owners & people who own Corvettes". I take that to mean some people have not yet learned the heritage and traditions surrounding the Corvette. Don't take offense where none is intended.

Quick Reply: "Real Corvette owners vs. People who own Corvettes"