Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

I don't know if anyone on this forum has been stopped for doing 150 MPH or more, but I wonder what the penalty would be?

I'm sure it varies by state. I assume that no matter what state you are in the penalty would be stiff. Anybody out there had the experience?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Alec Trevelyan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is you go to jail on the spot, car gets towed, liscense revoked, HUGE fines....things of that nature.

But I think In some states if you going over a certain MPH they cant chase you so if you pull over you might get a reduced ticket cuz there no supposed to have been chasing you....but who knows man.
The following users liked this post:
Keithwinnfl (01-05-2021)
Old 09-26-2006, 01:36 PM
BlackHawk#36
Intermediate

Here in California, anything over 100mph is considered a felony. Don't know about GA though.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlackHawk#36
Here in California, anything over 100mph is considered a felony. Don't know about GA though.
Felony! My God! I hit 150 MPH today on the Xpressway out here in the boonies where I live. Hit it and down--didn't hold the speed. A felony on your record can change a lot of things you take for granted.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is only one place for speed...and that is at the track!!!....
mkitt27 (08-02-2019)
Old 09-26-2006, 02:15 PM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Cosmic Vette
Felony! My God! I hit 150 MPH today on the Xpressway out here in the boonies where I live. Hit it and down--didn't hold the speed. A felony on your record can change a lot of things you take for granted.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. California's law is as follows:

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 22348-22366

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a
conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of
Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.
(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in
convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor
Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.
(c) A vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane
designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if a lane has not been so
designated, in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as
practicable to the right-hand edge or curb. When overtaking and
passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver
shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left
of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as
permitted under this code. If, however, specific lane or lanes have
not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly
marked lanes for traffic in one direction, a vehicle may also be
driven in the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane,
unless otherwise prohibited under this code. This subdivision does
not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn
or who is in the process of entering into or exiting from a highway
or to a driver who is required necessarily to drive in a lane other
than the right-hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive
a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may
drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater
than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has
been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or
appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and
traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following
apply:
(1) A two-lane, undivided highway is a highway with not more than
one through lane of travel in each direction.
(2) Passing lanes may not be considered when determining the
number of through lanes.
(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that there be reasonable
signing on affected two-lane, undivided highways described in
subdivision (b) in continuing the 55 miles-per-hour speed limit,
including placing signs at county boundaries to the extent possible,
and at other appropriate locations.

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather,
visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the
highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of
persons or property.

I was stopped in excess of 100 mph on a motorcycle. The officer reduced my speed as cited just below 85, and I went to traffic school, after thanking him profusely for cutting me a break. However, when I took off my helmet, and handed over my license, his attitude became more one of amusement that an old guy was going to fast. I was about twice his age. Finally, age bias works in favor of the old.

And no, I didn't do it again.
C6Z06C6 (07-30-2019)
80shilling
Instructor

I don't know if anyone on this forum has been stopped for doing 150 MPH or more, but I wonder what the penalty would be?

I'm sure it varies by state. I assume that no matter what state you are in the penalty would be stiff. Anybody out there had the experience?
I was stopped here in the San Francisco Bay area going about 164 MPH in my 440 RWHP Porsche 944 Turbo... It was a Wednesday afternoon on a local Freeway 280, with a heavily overcast sky, so no CHP planes could see. I hit a particular spot with no traffic where I could see for about 1 1/2 miles straight ahead and punched it... at about 170 MPH, I noticed a white Volvo on my right on the hard shoulder, with a CHP car right behind it... as soon as I passed them I knew I was in deep sh$% I started slowing immediately and parked it at the side of the road... it took the CHP about 2 minutes to catch up and when he stopped he was FURIOUS, had his hand on his gun etc.. The only thing that saved me from going to jail immediately, was the fact that he was a car guy... when he had calmed down a bit, he asked for license, registration, insurance etc and started asking me about the car... noticed I had BF Goodrich R1 tires on the car, full roll cage, race seats and bright red 5 point harnesses... He asked me how fast I thought I was going and I replied "about 85 or 90 maybe" he laughed in my face and told me his estimate was "considerably over 150".... In the end, I got a ticket for 100+. In CA 101 MPH gets you a go to jail immediately ticket, car impounded etc... 100+ does not, so he really cut me some slack on the whole episode.

My advice.... don't do it, or make DAMN sure you don't get caught, because if you are unlucky enough to get the wrong guy, you will pay for it BIG time.
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

It's not bad in Germany. If you were caught going 150 mph (or 250 mph for that matter) in a 60 zone the fine would be 375 Euros and a 2 month license suspension.

The penalty is the same at 70+ km/h over the limit...so it doesn't matter how fast you are going.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NY impound car and say goodbye to it. Jail on spot.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Last Time I got caught doing 150 this guy was doing 175.

Name:  DP-RXdotcom1.jpg
Views: 6064
Size:  141.8 KB

Oh You mean on the public roads !!!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it depends upon who stops you.

if it's a another vette, probably not much, bunches of smiles all around.
if it's a viper, an exhange of experiences will ensue.
if it's a porsche, probably a bunch of yet buts, blah, blah blah.
if it's a ricer, alot of bs

if it's a leo, plan on getting a free lunch.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:51 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 80shilling
In CA 101 MPH gets you a go to jail immediately ticket, car impounded etc... 100+ does not, so he really cut me some slack on the whole episode.
Not always. It really depends on the mood of the officer. My friend got stopped on CA 99 just out of Chico. The cop radared him at 145 MPH in a 70MPH zone. He was driving a 1997 Z/28 and it was almost 2:00AM. The cop wrote him a ticket for speeding and he put 125 in the actual speed box. The cop let him go after a very sturn talking to, but that was it. My friend did pay almost $1,000, but only got 2 points on his record. End of story. No jail, no license revoked, no impounded car.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

You get a good lawyer.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:55 PM
StreetRacingGuy
Pro

Honestly, at 150 I keep going. I don't think people should just try to outrun cops, but I have on several instances (mostly when younger in a Lingenfelter 383 vette, three times in my current Camaro). If your going to get caught (i.e.radar goes ape****) at 150+, I think it is worth taking a chance if the environment allows for it. Luckily, where we usd to street race, its pretty barren and going straight for a mile or two and taking an access road is possible. In daytime or in traffic, obciously not. I don't do 150 in daytime in traffic though. A guy here with a LPE TT C5 got stopped doing over 160 mph. He got in a load of ****. I don't know that there would be all that much more trouble for running to be quite honest.

If your willing to run, and you speed at the right time/environment....then run. If your not sure at all, or don't want to run, then dont go 150 on public roads.

SRG
Crikk (10-07-2019)
Old 09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy
Honestly, at 150 I keep going. I don't think people should just try to outrun cops, but I have on several instances (mostly when younger in a Lingenfelter 383 vette, three times in my current Camaro). If your going to get caught (i.e.radar goes ape****) at 150+, I think it is worth taking a chance if the environment allows for it. Luckily, where we usd to street race, its pretty barren and going straight for a mile or two and taking an access road is possible. In daytime or in traffic, obciously not. I don't do 150 in daytime in traffic though. A guy here with a LPE TT C5 got stopped doing over 160 mph. He got in a load of ****. I don't know that there would be all that much more trouble for running to be quite honest.

If your willing to run, and you speed at the right time/environment....then run. If your not sure at all, or don't want to run, then dont go 150 on public roads.

SRG
Yea, because felony eluding is much better than a speeding ticket.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TulsaVette
Yea, because felony eluding is much better than a speeding ticket.
In 1960, in Tampa, Florida I and a friend were just doing a bit of drag racing on our motorcycles and a motorcycle cop came after us. We maneuvered around a bit and eluded him by parking behind a friend’s house.

The officer cruised the streets and eventually asked an old man raking leaves if he had seen us; he rated us out immediately and the cop knocked on my friends door and then commenced to write us up.

He charged us with everything except sheep ******** and I lost my license for 6 months, my job and had to take the bus to school.

Moral: Don't make the police come after you, because their bringing an ***-whooping with them.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Governor Arnold here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia signed into law a new bill that says if you are caught racing on the street it's now a felony. They have the right to confiscate your car. For laughs the CHP lets you watch it being crushed.

Get notified of new replies

To What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy

SRG
And this is where my age is REALLY going to show......... This qualifies for the REALLY DUMB IDEA award. If you run, and they chase, someone gets hurt or maybe killed. If it is the LEO, and you get caught, that will be vehicular manslaughter, and you will spend a great deal of time in jail. If you make it to jail. That, too, might depend on the mood of the arresting officer.

On the other hand, it could just be you. No problems there, unless you have anyone who loves you, or relies on you, or both.

Take the damn ticket like a man (or woman depending), or possibly, if you're really very respectful about your flagrant abuse of the speed law, you'll get lucky like I did, and someone will cut you a break.

Running is the worst idea you could come up with. IMHO, as they say.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Governor Arnold here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia signed into law a new bill that says if you are caught racing on the street it's now a felony. They have the right to confiscate your car. For laughs the CHP lets you watch it being crushed.
In the futureworld, everything will be monitored, watched, and managed. Controls will ensure that no one violates the rules. Order will be maintained.

Thank God I was a teenager in the 1950s, experienced Haight-Asbury and the summer of love and lived when the population of greater Atlanta was 300,000.

The future of this overpopulated, globally warmed, tightly policed world looks dim from my perspective.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 PM
07 Lemans Z51 Coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy G.

Post the law please. I'm not aware of it, and I'm having trouble believing it is a felony. I have no trouble believing that your car will be impounded. I do have trouble believing the CHP finds much mirth in watching people's rides crushed, or that they even watch, or that they're even crushed. Why waste an asset that can be sold to fund law enforcement programs.

Print it out so we can read it. Otherwise I call

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?