C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to install outside mirror glass?

Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to install outside mirror glass?

So I ordered the dated glass from Paragon, can someone detail the steps to install the glass in my existing mirror?

I can see a steel ring just around the glass, is this the starting point?

Thanks guys
Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The glass is retained by the snap ring. The glass is held against the snap ring by 3 springs behind it. Put the mirror on a folded towel, press the glass into the head and remove the snap ring with an awl.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Dan Q
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but what year mirror is this? I know the 67 mirror is held in with silicone adhesive. soak it in lacquer thinner and the silicone will allow the glass to be removed. Or was it mineral spirits? memory is failing. I think I searched the ncrs site..
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I've found it best to cut a circle about 1" smaller diameter than the mirror out of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood, pad this with 2-3 layers of towel and press against the mirror in order to compress the 3 springs behind the mirror enough to remove the snap ring holding the mirror in place. Holding the mirror in slightly, you can remove the ring and the mirror will come right out. Installation is the reverse of these steps.

The reason I use the plywood is that it spreads out any pressure against the mirror to the full face of the mirror. I've seen mirrors broken (snap in the center) when pressing a finger against the mirror to compress the springs. Not saying it can't be done, I just don't choose to risk breakage of the old or new mirror unnecessarily. Just my way of doing it!!

Ron
Old 09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB69
The glass is retained by the snap ring. The glass is held against the snap ring by 3 springs behind it. Put the mirror on a folded towel, press the glass into the head and remove the snap ring with an awl.
That's the way it is with the mirror on my 65. It is easy to do.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Q
I'm sorry, but what year mirror is this? I know the 67 mirror is held in with silicone adhesive. soak it in lacquer thinner and the silicone will allow the glass to be removed. Or was it mineral spirits? memory is failing. I think I searched the ncrs site..
That's true for most C3 mirrors, but the '67 mirror glass has three springs behind it and is retained by a stainless ring.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's true for most C3 mirrors, but the '67 mirror glass has three springs behind it and is retained by a stainless ring.
Don't forget, we're talking about the outside rear view mirror, not the inside which is indeed cemented into place.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just posted my experience doing this... YESTERDAY.

Get notified of new replies

To How to install outside mirror glass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install outside mirror glass?