C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"asm large runners or tpis large runners?"

Old 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM
sxyvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "asm large runners or tpis large runners?"

hi there guys,
just wandering which is better or are they the same pipes in desgin/performance!
i was looking at the "arizona speed & marine" large intake runners as compared to "tpis" large intake runners!
asm runners are $395 and tpis are $475!

are they the same diamater and length pipes do you reackon?

if i do buy the large pipes should i buy the large ported tpis manifold/edlebrockmanifold as well or should i just get my manifold ported instead?

if i get plenum ported/matched and the large runners/ported manifold roughly how much horespower gain will i get please?
what sort of extra rev range might i gain from the larger runners/ported plenum/iported intake also?

keeping the long runners i will still keep the torque i guess wont i? and hopefully gain more rpm!

will it allow the motor to breath much better compared to stock?,and allow more revs do you think also?

as you can see i am still very underdecided on which intake set up would be best value/perfomance wise for money as i am on a bit of a budget!

there is so many different combinations out there to buy!
i was looking at the super ram,tpis mini ram, lt1 intake kit,ported bases and large runners as well!
i like to keep torque in mind, but gain more rpm over the broader range as well!
future mods are going to be 383 stroker crank,afr ported heads,zzx tpis cam as well of some sort of intake !

any ideas or help/advice would be great guys if you can please.
thanks for your time too!
glen
Australia
Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

When I called AS&M to order runners they said they were out and it would take a month to make more, but they had recently sent a shipment to TPIS and they had them in stock. Yep, I paid nearly $500 for the same parts because waiting was not a good option at the time. I used the Edelbrock base with mine.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

AS&M!!

Same runners!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 PM
sxyvet
Racer

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
When I called AS&M to order runners they said they were out and it would take a month to make more, but they had recently sent a shipment to TPIS and they had them in stock. Yep, I paid nearly $500 for the same parts because waiting was not a good option at the time. I used the Edelbrock base with mine.

hi spankyellow,
thanks for the reply mate!
so does as&m make these runners and sells to tpis do they?
also what difference is there with edlebrock manifold compared to tpis manifold and standard maniofld?
is there much difference in pipe size diamater/length compared to standard runners?
how did you find the performance gain/sound from the larger runners/edelbrock base?
thanks
glen
Old 08-22-2006, 07:26 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...5&pagenumber=2

I can not give a real answer to this. Click the link and read.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Razor89
Racer

sxyvet check out my signature and my photos.

My goal was 350hp, 12 second car. I'm almost there.

I went almost exclusivly TPIS.
Why, because I like to support local buisness and they are well known for their expertise with a TPI motor.

Yes they are expensive. Shop around and you can find their parts cheap on ebay and the C4 parts section.

You may have trouble getting someone to ship international for you but I'm sure you know that already.

If your planning on 383ci, AFR heads and a zzx cam I would go with the Mini Ram or Lt1 intake.

Keep planning and asking questions, you don't want to buy parts twice.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:40 PM
sxyvet
Racer

hi razor89,
thanks for the tips and kind words mate!
cheers
glen
australia
Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Razor89
Racer

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...5&pagenumber=2

I can not give a real answer to this. Click the link and read.
Nice read,
I've been trying to decide for years and I just decided last fall to do it and find out for myself.

Well I'm very happy with my setup. Last time at the track I drove right around an 02 SS camaro slp ls1 that red lit in the inside lane. I talked to the guys father and the owner of the car after the race and he was very impressed on how my car was running. This is not the first time I've suprised the stock and semi stock Ls1 guys.

Did I make the best choice? Don't know, but I'm sure having fun with it.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

AS&M=TPiS, TPiS just gives them a light porting.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:28 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That price is fking insane for a small increase in diameter.

I ported my stock runners as much as possible and punched the indents out and am using those on the high flow base.

I'll post pics when I finish with the plenum.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
CorvAdel
Racer

You seem to be where I was at a year ago...keep asking the questions here and you will learn..
Bux were/are my biggest handicap in finding power for my 87, so..stock everything, but all ported, with heads flowing around 215 @ 500in and 175 ex....mild but somewhat effective. Cam choice was not easy back then, cos I didn't know...I settled on a 211.
Result..? Plenty of torque and mid-range grunt, but still tapers off quick over 5000rpm. If I had my time again and the bux, I would have gone with as&m's runners to get into the mid-5000's or better.
I tried looking for used perf. runners, but only found a broken set of Edelbrox!..which I bought and will fix.
Good luck trying to buy used runners..like hen's teeth, but new from Tpis will run you around Aus$750 landed. As centralcoaster said, a lot of money for a few revs...you got to make up your own mind, and it is not easy owning a vette and living down under, hey..!?
btw...FWIW I wouldn't give up on the LT1 intake option...I am going down that path and have one, but too busy to do it right now..
Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
That price is fking insane for a small increase in diameter.
Indeed, that price is insane, heck $395 is crazy.

I would try to look for a used set of either one. I bought a set of perfect condition AS&M's 2 years ago, used, for $200. I ended up selling them to someone overseas.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:58 AM
sxyvet
Racer

hi guys,
thanks for your comments/info and help!
i for got to mention also i am going to replace my 3:45 rear gear ratio with 4:10 along with 383 stroker crank so will have plenty of torque then and then go for the high up end cam like the zz9 cam along with the tpis mini ram for some high end up rpm along with the ported afr 210cc heads!
so then i will have both lots low end torque plus lots of high end rpm as well!
so i will have plenty of every thing then i guess, best of both worlds you could say!
also i will replace heavy 40lb dual mass flywheel with 14 lb single lightened flywheel to help her rev up quicker as well!
i should just stick to this plan now and be done with it,hey?
thanks guys
glen
sxyvet
Australia
Old 08-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

sxyvet,

i'll offer my JMHO novice opinion for whatever its worth and say that you might want to stick with heads with intake runners along the lines of 200cc -- or less -- for your 383.....unless of course you already own the ported 210's.

also, i suspect you will not like the super-light flywheel. you may want to reconsider that as well.

JMHO.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:21 AM
sxyvet
Racer

hi hod rod 90,
how ya going!
is 210cc to large?
how about 195 cc?
also i was wandering why i might night like the lightened flywheel?
i guess i have proberely narrowed all the intakes down and will proberely either get the accel"super ram" or tpis mini ram also now!
thanks for your comments/help mate!
cheers
glen
Australia
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

hey sxyvet, mate,

as for the intake choice, thats a matter of opinion along with intended usage. if its mainly street driver, i would definitely go superram, no question.

sounds like you haven't purchased the heads yet. yes, 195cc is much better for your application. IMHO. you could make a new post asking this question. i suspect the more experienced here will advise on 195cc.

oh, the flywheel? with that cam + longer stroke, and assuming you have the original ZF tranny, i can just about guarantee you it till clatter like mad. there are other problems with it too, but again assuming daily driving will be the main duty, the cost of the constant annoyance with that FW will far outweigh the "advertised" benefits of some extra HP transferred the the rear wheels. with your setup, you don't need a super-light FW, IMHO you will like the factory Luk dual-mass much better, all-around. i can promise you that.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
Indeed, that price is insane, heck $395 is crazy.

I would try to look for a used set of either one. I bought a set of perfect condition AS&M's 2 years ago, used, for $200. I ended up selling them to someone overseas.

$200 used is an ok price for a few HP. $500 for the small gain runners will give is steep on the cost/per HP, curve.

Get notified of new replies

To "asm large runners or tpis large runners?"

Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Because the TPI is the bottleneck, any bit of work there really helps though.

Generally, used non-wear parts = 1/2 price of new parts.

The stock tubes are 1.47"
The ASM are something like 1.625" Correct me if I'm wrong.

Which aftermarket ones have the conjoined tubes, which still have seperate tubes? And which have the fatty tubes that are cast as one? (SLP?)
Old 08-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
hey sxyvet, mate,

as for the intake choice, thats a matter of opinion along with intended usage. if its mainly street driver, i would definitely go superram, no question.
I have to respectfully disagree. The TPI is a torque monster, and that is what you feel in the seat of your pants. That TQ makes for a great street car. I am going to run the as&m runners, ported plenum, and bigger manifold for my intake. I should have the heads ported as well. Then get to the exhaust. The TPI motor just wants to breath, and when it does, it'll make the TQ you are looking for. Horsepower I have learned is not all there is. It is the torque of the TPI engine that makes it shine...
Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steel Breeze
I have to respectfully disagree. The TPI is a torque monster, and that is what you feel in the seat of your pants. That TQ makes for a great street car. I am going to run the as&m runners, ported plenum, and bigger manifold for my intake. I should have the heads ported as well. Then get to the exhaust. The TPI motor just wants to breath, and when it does, it'll make the TQ you are looking for. Horsepower I have learned is not all there is. It is the torque of the TPI engine that makes it shine...
we're not in disagreement the OP was discussing miniram vs. superram, in his last post. i was responding to that.

by the way, the superram does amplify torque.....along with extending the rpm and powerband with it, out to the upper 5,000's. you might call it a "super TPI".

My 1rst setup was SR manifold + large tube runners + ported stock plenum.....and I like the characteristics of the entire SR intake much better. The 1rst one was good too. But the larger plenum along with the somewhat shorter runners and that base gets you the extra 8,00-1,000 rpms with solid power right thru.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 08-23-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "asm large runners or tpis large runners?"