C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood shell & frame coming apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:19 PM
GPDE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood shell & frame coming apart

Thank for everyone's help. I think this is an easy one. What adhesive do I use to glue the hood shell and frame back together with? Any tricks of the trade?

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:52 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i have used Claw Plast, manufactured by the Clausen Co, Fords, NJ and available in most autobody supply stores.

"Claw Plast® Panel Adhesive and Filler should be used for fiberglass bonding and filling. Claw Plast® gives better adhesion, featheredges beautifully, and gives superior paint holdout. Claw Plast® is also designed for bake systems and offers high heat resistance to eliminate blistering and loss of adhesion."

Bill
Old 08-19-2006, 03:30 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, absolutley! I use Claw Plast to install Corvette panels and also as a body filler when needed. Great for hoods!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:37 PM
GPDE
Heel & Toe

That must be the ticket! Someone at a local car show told me weatherstripping adhesive, but I had my doubts!

Thanks!!

Chuck
Old 08-19-2006, 05:49 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

CAUTION, This question comes up about every week. If you are refering to the under brace of the hood in any place but the extreme outer edge, be carefull. It was not bonded anywhere but the outer edge. The cross braces and the inside area of the side brace is not bonded. It had non hardning cushioning material.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by wombvette
CAUTION, This question comes up about every week. If you are refering to the under brace of the hood in any place but the extreme outer edge, be carefull. It was not bonded anywhere but the outer edge. The cross braces and the inside area of the side brace is not bonded. It had non hardning cushioning material.
he's right about not bonding the 2 pieces anywhere but the outside edges; if you bond all the cross braces and the inner edges you will see where the differential expansion/contraction/shrinkage of the top and bottom hood pieces being anchored together show up as 'ghost' lines/shapes in the top surface of the hood...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-20-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:05 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far so good. I too, have this problem. What should we use???
Old 08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 2toys
So far so good. I too, have this problem. What should we use???
if your hood is coming unbonded around the edges of the hood (top panel to bottom panel (but not the center braces, inner edges, etc (which should NOT be bonded) as described in previous replies), i still suggest:

"Claw Plast® Panel Adhesive and Filler should be used for fiberglass bonding and filling. Claw Plast® gives better adhesion, featheredges beautifully, and gives superior paint holdout. Claw Plast® is also designed for bake systems and offers high heat resistance to eliminate blistering and loss of adhesion."

Bill
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Ask your body/paint supply store for hood "gumdrop" adhesive and they'll have a conventional adhesive product for that application. Don't use a 2-part polyester bond material for the cross-bracing or you can end up with "bond-burn" distortions in the hood outer surface.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 PM
GPDE
Heel & Toe

More complicated than I assumed. Let me see if I got it right:

-Use the "gumdrop" adhesive on the cross braces.
-Use Claw Plast on the braces on the perimeter.

Let me know if I got it right. I also heard that it requires 300lbs of weight on the closed hood to get a good bond (overnight).

Thanks, Chuck
Old 08-20-2006, 08:13 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GPDE
More complicated than I assumed. Let me see if I got it right:

-Use the "gumdrop" adhesive on the cross braces.
-Use Claw Plast on the braces on the perimeter.

Let me know if I got it right. I also heard that it requires 300lbs of weight on the closed hood to get a good bond (overnight).

Thanks, Chuck
i don't know that it requires any pressure to get a good bond. the bond is inherent in the bonding material's strength and the cleanliness and preparation of the bonded surfaces.

the bonding adhesive goes between the outer edges of the inner hood panel and the outer hood panel; not the braces (which go across the hood), that's where the 'gumdrop' material goes. if you've got the 2 pieces fully apart, just looks to see where the old bonding adhesive and the 'gumdrop' material was and apply the appropriate stuff in the same placers in the same amount.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 08-20-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info John. Was nice to run into you at Warren,Mi. Maybe we'll do it again at Carlisle.

Are you going to make the dinner gathering at Olive Garden?

P.S. renewed my subscription to Corvette Enthusiast yesterday!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just tagging this thread.. I'd be interested in the results. I'd always thought mine was broken bonding material too (at the cross brace, not around the edges). Looks like the fix will be easier than I thought! Any advise on cleaning before using the "gumdrop" adhesive?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 66since71
Just tagging this thread.. I'd be interested in the results. I'd always thought mine was broken bonding material too (at the cross brace, not around the edges). Looks like the fix will be easier than I thought! Any advise on cleaning before using the "gumdrop" adhesive?

i'm sure JohnZ will correct me if i'm wrong; BUT, i believe the purpose of the 'gumdrop adhesive' is more to act as a softener to dampen vibrations and allow expansion/contraction/movement between the top & bottom pieces than it is to act as an adhesive....

but, yes it is an adhesive of sorts too... picture a large glob of rtv between pieces that is not squeezed tightly together and is then allowed to cure. you can move the 2 pieces around a tad, but it's more difficult to pull them apart....

as for cleaning... if there are no directions, i'd suggest the sparing use of lacquer thinner.
Bill
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toys
Thanks for the info John. Was nice to run into you at Warren,Mi. Maybe we'll do it again at Carlisle.

Are you going to make the dinner gathering at Olive Garden?

P.S. renewed my subscription to Corvette Enthusiast yesterday!!!
If you mean the Friday dinner at Rillo's in Carlisle, yes.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood shell & frame coming apart

Quick Reply: Hood shell & frame coming apart