Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Are Memphis Audio Subs any good?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 PM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are Memphis Audio Subs any good?

Specifiaclly the 10 inch dual voice coil? I would be using this in a sealed box with about .7 cu feet in my WRX Wagon. What else would you recommend? I am on a tight budget.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

image dynamics. all the way. they are pretty cheap for what you get. i think sound domain sells them for >$120 shipped

or elemental designs. i have 6 of there eu-700's and they are built very well. haven't powered them up yet so i can't comment on the sound but pentavolvo really likes the ed line of subs
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 PM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

how do they compare to the memphis audio subs?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

never heard the MA subs...but from what i remember reading..the ed and id subs should be a lot better
Old 07-29-2006, 12:52 AM
0Audio Dave
Former Vendor

Location: Murfreesboro, TN. "I'm like a kid in a candy store everytime I see a Corvette!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are getting the 10 dual voice coil Memphis PR or Power Reference sub, .7 will be good for an accurate punchy sound from those subs. The shop I currently work for sells these subs for $80 each. Pretty good all around sub for a cheap price (retail, anyhow...)

Hope this helps!!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:07 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I picked up 4 of there cheaper 10s off of sonicelectronix.com and I was not impressed in the least bit
Old 07-29-2006, 07:16 AM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

What did you not like about them? What did you repace them with? What kind of music do you listen to?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:16 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by NCR Dave
If you are getting the 10 dual voice coil Memphis PR or Power Reference sub, .7 will be good for an accurate punchy sound from those subs. The shop I currently work for sells these subs for $80 each. Pretty good all around sub for a cheap price (retail, anyhow...)

Hope this helps!!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
I picked up 4 of there cheaper 10s off of sonicelectronix.com and I was not impressed in the least bit
Of course a cheaper sub probably isn't going to impress. What amp was feeding them? What box were they in? I have installed many of their 3 series subs and they have blown away Orions higher end line (this coming from an Orion fan), all Kickers round subs and overall have been very impressive. Was thinking about replacing my old worn out XTR 12 with a PR 12 sometime soon
Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 AM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

I ordered the memphis....worth a shot PLUS the guy that builds the enclosures says they are comparable in sound quality (in his box) to the jl audio W3. I will let you know how it turns out- these are going in my WRX Wagon.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:05 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WildWolf
I ordered the memphis....worth a shot PLUS the guy that builds the enclosures says they are comparable in sound quality (in his box) to the jl audio W3. I will let you know how it turns out- these are going in my WRX Wagon.

good deal, how much did they set you back? and definately give us a review on them when you have a chance
Old 07-29-2006, 02:25 PM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

Its only a single 10" in a "stealth box". the box is made up of fiberglass and MDF and sits above the spare tire but does not take up any space in the car. The box AND the sub set me back $300 with shipping. It should get installed in the next 10 days- I will let you know how it compares to my jl stealthbox in the vette.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Old 07-30-2006, 05:50 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Ran 4 of em sealed off an Elemental Designs Nine1, box was built to spec but I feel the box could have been leaking or flexing leading to poor sound quality. Let me know what you think of it once you get it installed
Old 07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Hoosier Vette
Pro

I had a Memphis 10" in my caddie. Sounded great it was installed in the factory location, not in a box. It hit hard. I had an Alpine amp on it. And plan to install it in my vettes rear compartment.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
MAGNUSS
Instructor

Default I Have em all

Hello I can tell ya i have Memphis ,Image Dynamics and Massive. They all Sound diff. I love Image Dynamics But massive has better Bass. Memphis is Okay. Depends on what Sound you want. I love Image Dynamics you can put rock,Rap and bass comes out really good. Massive is more bass i have 2 10" in a RX-8 and Love em. I have Image dynamics on a 2005 Town and Country and love those there. memphis were on a Honda Accord and sounded good but not like the other two. Hope this helps Find your self a shop that will let you try each one. My local shop did that for me they did a great job on the Installs too.

Get notified of new replies

To Are Memphis Audio Subs any good?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Memphis Audio Subs any good?