C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slotted rotors - slot direction

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
billiardcue
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Default slotted rotors - slot direction

Which direction do the slots face on slotted rotors?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by billiardcue
Which direction do the slots face on slotted rotors?
The slots in the surface of the rotor do not necessarily determine how the rotor is mounted, the internal vanes do.

Air is drawn in at the center of the rotor and expelled from the outer edge as the rotor spins. For curved or angled vanes, the vanes should point to the rear of the car (at the top of the rotor). For rotors with vanes that are straight from the hub to the outer edge, the direction they spin is not relevant, so point the slots in whichever direction you think looks best.

GUSTO
Old 06-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
The slots in the surface of the rotor do not necessarily determine how the rotor is mounted, the internal vanes do.

Air is drawn in at the center of the rotor and expelled from the outer edge as the rotor spins. For curved or angled vanes, the vanes should point to the rear of the car (at the top of the rotor). For rotors with vanes that are straight from the hub to the outer edge, the direction they spin is not relevant, so point the slots in whichever direction you think looks best.

GUSTO
I will have to check my Erradispeeds tonight (wheels will be off).....

But I could have sworn the curved vanes were to point forward to catch the air

But this could be the FIRST time I'm wrong

DH
Old 06-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

According to Power Slot:

The slot designs of Power Slot rotors are angled to use the rotors’ direction of rotation to enhance performance. This makes them side specific with left side (driver’s) and right side (passenger’s) rotors.

Brightly-plated Power Slot rotors also eliminate rusty rotor syndrome and enhance the look of custom wheels. Their military spec cadmium plating adds a high-tech appearance and corrosion resistance.

Power Slot rotors are designed to beat the challenges of high performance driving and severe duty brake demands, and represent one of the most cost-efficient performance brake upgrades offered in the market today.
Each of my Power Slot rotors has a stamping that indicates on which side of the car it should be mounted.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:56 PM
billiardcue
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I mounted them with the fins facing rearward, that is how Chevy had the originals rotors mounted.

Thanks,

Dick
Old 06-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I will have to check my Erradispeeds tonight (wheels will be off).....

But I could have sworn the curved vanes were to point forward to catch the air
negative. The job of the internal vanes is to pull heated air away from the center of the rotor.

Though I've read tests that's shown it really didn't make that much difference in the end.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
negative. The job of the internal vanes is to pull heated air away from the center of the rotor.

Though I've read tests that's shown it really didn't make that much difference in the end.

Exactly right. Vanes should be "pointed rearward". Wouldn't make much sense to have air pulled down to the center of the rotor and have brake ducts blowing air into the same spot. No worries though, many people at first think it should be the other way around.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've had different mechanics I trust tell me both directions.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:19 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billiardcue
I mounted them with the fins facing rearward, that is how Chevy had the originals rotors mounted.

Thanks,

Dick
CORRECT AMONDO!!!

Last edited by SLPRC5; 07-01-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:03 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

It may very well depend on the brand. Baer has specific instructions on this for example. Very doubtful there is a "one size fits all" rule on this.
If you know the brand, call the manufacturer.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The OEM rotors are marked as to which corner of the car they go on. If mounted in the correct position the internal vanes face backwards. This is supposed to enhance air flow from the center out. No matter which way the slots on the outside go they do not provide rotor cooling so the rotors from all manufacturers will perform best if the internal vanes face to the rear. If you are a waxer and only drive the car to car meets then don't worry about it since the rotors will never get hot enough to need cooling.

Bill
Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The OEM rotors are marked as to which corner of the car they go on. If mounted in the correct position the internal vanes face backwards. This is supposed to enhance air flow from the center out.

No matter which way the slots on the outside go they do not provide rotor cooling so the rotors from all manufacturers will perform best if the internal vanes face to the rear.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

The OEM rotors are marked as to which corner of the car they go on. If mounted in the correct position the internal vanes face backwards. This is supposed to enhance air flow from the center out. No matter which way the slots on the outside go they do not provide rotor cooling so the rotors from all manufacturers will perform best if the internal vanes face to the rear. If you are a waxer and only drive the car to car meets then don't worry about it since the rotors will never get hot enough to need cooling.

Bill
I'm sure you and Mike Mercury as well as others are correct.

I just preped for the track tomarrow..... checked pads, caliper bolts, bracket bolts and bled the brakes.

......... but I forgot to look which way the vanes point.

But I do know I got em on right ..... Erradispeed directions were specific.

DH
Old 07-01-2006, 07:14 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

The curves of the vanes should go like this:
)
Old 07-01-2006, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To slotted rotors - slot direction

Quick Reply: slotted rotors - slot direction