Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

Hard water spots embedded in paint

Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 PM
dascar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard water spots embedded in paint

Aagh! I parked near the grass at work today and the damn sprinklers came on (who has sprinklers running in the middle of the damn day?) and by the time I came out to my 01 Torch Red coupe that afternoon unaware the sprinklers would kick in I discovered a disaster. The water must be horrible because now my hood has hundreds of water stains that won't come out. I tried Mequires and Zaino polish to no effect and even Scratch-X barely made a dent in them. Any ideas on how to remove wickedly tough water spots from Corvette paint???!!!

Please refrain from the flamethrower jokes, I'm almost in tears as it is.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 123 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

If it is etched in the clear coat then you may need machine polishing. But before you do that you need to clay bar.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
JohnnyB
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try a soft cotton cloth with white vinegar on it. Let the vinegar sit on the stain for 20 seconds or so, wipe off and repeat. This has worked for me in the past.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The vinegar and/or a clay bar should spell "relief"...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It may be best to ask this of the folks over in the Car Care Discussion section of the Forum. Several very knowlegeable people and a few professional detailers hang out there. Too, this topic has been discussed there a number of times in the past. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It might come to 3M micro-polish liquid.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had rain spots on my'99 and the only way to solve the problem was to have it wet sanded. It's torch red and now it looks great.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 PM
BAD AZZ C5
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by StephenT
If it is etched in the clear coat then you may need machine polishing. But before you do that you need to clay bar.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:54 PM
ATO21
Navigator

I had the same thing happen to me with my black one. It was almost like the water contained fertilizer or something. A cleaner/wax would not take them out. I had to wash it with Dawn soap and clay bar it to get it out. A couple of coats of Zaino's helped too.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Rou-Rou 03
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had similar problem water softner water drops that would come out of Zanio. Had to wash car with dawn dish soap to remove the Zanio. Then 3m swirl remover and random orgital polisher then rewax
Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 PM
d campbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by dascar
Aagh! I parked near the grass at work today and the damn sprinklers came on (who has sprinklers running in the middle of the damn day?) and by the time I came out to my 01 Torch Red coupe that afternoon unaware the sprinklers would kick in I discovered a disaster. The water must be horrible because now my hood has hundreds of water stains that won't come out. I tried Mequires and Zaino polish to no effect and even Scratch-X barely made a dent in them. Any ideas on how to remove wickedly tough water spots from Corvette paint???!!!

White distilled vinegar and water soultion. The vinegar will disolve the hard water. Works like a champ. Then zaino the crap out of it.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Read my Story.... I FEEL your pain... But it can be fixed.. Here is my SAGA!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=water+spots

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=water+spots

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1336719

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1346611
Old 06-30-2006, 04:01 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

CHUCKSTER !!!
where have you been old buddy ? Great to see you're still around

agree-- follow a couple of chuckster's posts on this issue.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Originally Posted by bugman
CHUCKSTER !!!
where have you been old buddy ? Great to see you're still around

agree-- follow a couple of chuckster's posts on this issue.
Glad to see you bro.... I miss this old detailing crew.. I have been hanging out in OT a lot lately..

No real detailing going on and thank GOD! no spots. I sold the Red car last week for $1600... not bad..

I think I am going to tackle my Wifes Victory Red Tahoe this weekend.. It will be like buffing a house!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Stickman81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Sorry to hear about the water spots.

Great info from Bugman there.

I just worked a Grand Prix with a ton of water spots. I think I got out about 95% of them. I think it would have taken more passes, or a rotary to get the rest.

It may take more on the Vette than what I did below.

SSR 2.5 (x2) on Orange Propel pad with PC at 6 and moderate pressure.

Hope this helps.

Click for the bigger pic.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:51 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Stickman !!!
excellent results, and great job doing the picture like that - it's always helpful to mask off a section like that, or else you're not really sure if you're making progress

By the way: SSR = Poorboys polishes for those interested - you detail guys use so many abbreviations - just like the military.

Last edited by bugman; 07-01-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Stickman81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by bugman
Stickman !!!
excellent results, and great job doing the picture like that - it's always helpful to mask off a section like that, or else you're not really sure if you're making progress

By the way: SSR = Poorboys polishes for those interested - you detail guys use so many abbreviations - just like the military.
Thanks bugman.

I should have spelled out the PB. I just finished up on another detail sight. Thanks for taking care of that.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard water spots embedded in paint

Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stickman81
Thanks bugman. I should have spelled out the PB. I just finished up on another detail sight. Thanks for taking care of that.

Hey dascar
How are you making out?
my own thoughts:
  1. try meguiars scratch X with white pad and PC7424 setting of 5.5
  2. if no effect, try it with an orange pad
  3. then bump up to 3M #39002 with orange pad - guaranteed to work, setting 5 to 6
  4. after 39002, you can use either Menzerna Final Polish II with a white pad, or 3M #39009, to put a final polish on the surface before applying your sealant.

I've actually never failed to get perfect results with 3M 39002 even when done by hand with a terry cloth towel. Pictures for you on my web page - click on SCRTCH/SPOT.

Hope all is well -- post back up here if you're still having trouble, or send me a pm or email.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 AM
dascar
Heel & Toe

Well, in my anger over this whole perma-waterspot thing, I ignored the safety warnings in my head and some great advice from you forum posters and went with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. I tested it on a grapefruit-sized area to find the water spots were finally gone and replaced instead with fine scratches from the product. So I followed up with lots of cursing as well as Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Zaino and Scratch-X to pretty much hide the scratches. On the rest of the car, I used a tiny portion of the Rubbing Compound mixed with a generous portion of the Polishing Compound which seemed to do the trick. I still had to follow with Zaino and Scratch -X for the few light scratchy-swirly marks but its better than it was with just the spots. I was also quite impressed with a Caranuba Wax (Mothers) which not only smells good and goes on smooth but also leaves a killer shine.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:44 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Well, in my anger over this whole perma-waterspot thing, I ignored the safety warnings in my head and some great advice from you forum posters and went with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. I tested it on a grapefruit-sized area to find the water spots were finally gone and replaced instead with fine scratches from the product. So I followed up with lots of cursing as well as Turtle Wax Polishing Compound and Zaino and Scratch-X to pretty much hide the scratches. On the rest of the car, I used a tiny portion of the Rubbing Compound mixed with a generous portion of the Polishing Compound which seemed to do the trick. I still had to follow with Zaino and Scratch -X for the few light scratchy-swirly marks but its better than it was with just the spots. I was also quite impressed with a Caranuba Wax (Mothers) which not only smells good and goes on smooth but also leaves a killer shine.

The Carnuba just fills in the scratches.. But if you want them gone for good get a PC and some Menzerna IP... The scratches from Turtle wax are no worse than 2000 grit sandpaper and the IP takes those out perfectly..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard water spots embedded in paint