C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Default 3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Most will remember that I was one of the first to complain about the roof, and urged all to contact NHTSA as well as GM. I got assigned a rep with GM, Ms Mann in GmExpert, and she was little help in getting anything resolved other than another roof panel that was clearly suppose to be the newer model roofs from 06 production.

To date the car has 6000 miles on it. It was built on Aug 15, 2005 and has had 3 roof panels go bad. The longest lasting roof, the current panel, lasted the entire Florida winter, and went as soon as weather heated. This one has become the first to almost completely come apart. Each other seperated in the back around the passenger side of the latch to a space of about 6-8 inches max. Our extreme heat and humidity seem to increase the failure to only a couple months at best.

If you think GM nor anyone has any idea how to fix these you are seriously incorrect. And those of you holding out consider this .... I was 45 minutes from home when the roof released on the passenger side tonight and needed to travel the highway home while a light rain. I cannot believe I did not become part of the flying roof club.

I want to claim the Lemon Law but cannot get a clear answer as to where and how to file. No booklet was in car. Car was sold by a Texas dealer under an order (allocation) and shipped to Florida dealer upon build. Do I look to Texas or Florida for Lemon Law ?????

Side of roof where clearly outside the frame

Lifted off frame, while still attached

How far across it has delaminated

I guess GM could consider it a spoiler ???
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Paixao
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry to hear about it..

Hey scott,, maybe will shall all look into a trasparent roof from GM this time I would think after 4 roof's they would be ahead lots 0f $$$ if they just gave you one now...
Had my replacement (1st) on now for 7days,,still waiting for a liner,,
Good luck on finding out something about the lemon law...

PS. great shine on using Pinnacle Souveran... Thanks again..
Paulo
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Oh man, this is bad. I feel for you. They should at least be handing out glass replacements until they have a true fix.

Its only a matter of time until a class action suit gets underway.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not just get the black tinted Lexan top? After all, your car is black isn't it?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Paixao
Hey scott,, maybe will shall all look into a trasparent roof from GM this time I would think after 4 roof's they would be ahead lots 0f $$$ if they just gave you one now...
Had my replacement (1st) on now for 7days,,still waiting for a liner,,
Good luck on finding out something about the lemon law...

PS. great shine on using Pinnacle Souveran... Thanks again..
Paulo

GM wont consider a glass top as exchange nor as compensation until roof can be repaired properly. Will not offer an extended warranty for all the shop and down time either. Basically Ms. Mann told me to deal with it under warranty and be glad they are willing to keep replacing them.

PS -- Embarrased the car looks so bad , but after the rain coming home, and no way to wash without wetting the interior. Maybe I can Pinnacle after the 4th replacement top ??

Originally Posted by Craigster05
Its only a matter of time until a class action suit gets underway.
I am hoping and wish I had an attorney willing to start it .... lots of unhappy campers.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 06-11-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Sounds like a lemon law candidate to me. Make them give you a new one with the transparent top.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Paixao
Instructor

Default Hey Scott

I was talking about the great shine PS gave my car...It really came out great..........
Old 06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
GooseyGoose
Instructor

My lexan roof should be in Thursday.
I am not taking any chances...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Brasil
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to file the Lemon Law in the state in which you live in. Each manufacturer has a third party arbitration system that they use. They are obligated to give you the necessary information. I went through this process with my Cobra, not one, but two times.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I can only assume GM is afraid of setting precedent by giving glass tops to owners with repeatedly failed painted ones! This is costing them a bundle and I suspect this is only a trickle of what will turn into a torrent before it’s resolved. No wonder GM has it’s butt in so much trouble with other issues when you consider how poorly they are handling this one. We’re talking about the FLAGSHIP for Chevy and perhaps the single most visible car produced by GM! Now you have Corvette owners talking about using the LEMON LAW! Even if someone didn’t want a glass top I believe it might be tough getting a new car if GM simply replaced the painted tops with glass tops. Owners could refuse but would then be on their own if GM specifically said that all failed painted tops would be replaced with glass ones. I don’t believe they have a proper repair figured out and I do believe that ALL painted tops will ultimately be affected. Top failures are now showing up on 05 and 06 models and spread all over the vin# spectrum! Does anyone really think the failures are isolated to a particular year and or vin#? Rubbish! I believe this is a systemic problem with all painted tops produced for the C6. GM can either do the right thing and recall all painted tops and replace with glass or keep trying to nickel and dime the problem to death! GM is killing the cars public image while with seriously risking alienating their core buyers! GM is once again trying to cheap out on a serious problem that they’ve been aware of for at least 18 months. I’m waiting to read about the 1st serious accident or worse caused by a flying top! How about thieves pulling the painted top off to help themselves? GM needs to really step up to plate before this turns into a bigger horror show IMO……
Old 06-06-2006, 11:46 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I just hope that I catch it in time again, if it happens on the future. I don't want to think what would happen if it comes flying and hits someone. I did order a transparent top just in case I need to take it to the dealer again. I hope you get it resolve soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Zoli007
Racer

From what I've read, they give x amount of time out for service, I believe its 30 days, and/or 3 failures of the same part.

Your car is part of this. Google Florida Lemon Law and you will find a number of attorneys that come up. Give them a call and see what happens.

Im almost certain mine will be doing the same, considering my car was only out in the hot hot sun maybe 2 weeks total time before the car started with the roof problems.

If it was a used car I wouldnt be quite so eager to complain about the car, but these are almost brand new cars were talking about here.

Its a shame really, best of luck to you.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 AM
d_bravo33
Instructor

It looks like GM is still producing fly-away tops. Are there '06 coupes produced in the last three months with deliminated roofs?

It should not be a complicated fix. Sure, the shape of the car creates a serious vacuum over the top (wing effect), but industrial adhesives can hold aircraft components together at mach +1, 40,000 feet. Why can't these guys glue a roof panel on a car?

GM risks permanent damage to one of the most loyal segments in the auto industry. Credibility is fading to zero here.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by d_bravo33
but industrial adhesives can hold aircraft components together at mach +1, 40,000 feet. Why can't these guys glue a roof panel on a car?

GM risks permanent damage to one of the most loyal segments in the auto industry. Credibility is fading to zero here.
You have it easy, you can buy color matched duct tape at Home Depot.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 AM
jmess
Pro

Originally Posted by Brasil
You have to file the Lemon Law in the state in which you live in. Each manufacturer has a third party arbitration system that they use. They are obligated to give you the necessary information. I went through this process with my Cobra, not one, but two times.
I looked into this issue when I was considering doing an out of state order. What I found was your car falls under the lemon laws of the State the selling dealer resides in.

I have also bought some cars from our neighboring State of Washington and been told at the time of purchase that Washington State's lemon laws apply.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most will remember that I was one of the first to complain about the roof, and urged all to contact NHTSA as well as GM. I got assigned a rep with GM, Ms Mann in GmExpert, and she was little help in getting anything resolved other than another roof panel that was clearly suppose to be the newer model roofs from 06 production.

To date the car has 6000 miles on it. It was built on Aug 15, 2005 and has had 3 roof panels go bad. The longest lasting roof, the current panel, lasted the entire Florida winter, and went as soon as weather heated. This one has become the first to almost completely come apart. Each other seperated in the back around the passenger side of the latch to a space of about 6-8 inches max. Our extreme heat and humidity seem to increase the failure to only a couple months at best.

If you think GM nor anyone has any idea how to fix these you are seriously incorrect. And those of you holding out consider this .... I was 45 minutes from home when the roof released on the passenger side tonight and needed to travel the highway home while a light rain. I cannot believe I did not become part of the flying roof club.

I want to claim the Lemon Law but cannot get a clear answer as to where and how to file. No booklet was in car. Car was sold by a Texas dealer under an order (allocation) and shipped to Florida dealer upon build. Do I look to Texas or Florida for Lemon Law ?????

Side of roof where clearly outside the frame

Lifted off frame, while still attached

How far across it has delaminated

I guess GM could consider it a spoiler ???
I'm still going to hold out as it gets closer to march 2007 because presently the roof is solid doesn't move or creak but I don't always park it in the sun and the temps here can only go as high as 100. I already have a transparent top so I don't know what they would do for people who already have these tops for compensation. They should just get the painted tops fixed correctly no band aids.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Old 06-07-2006, 02:27 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default will c6 consumer demand drop due to the roof debacle?

What will happen to demand for the C6 as the roof problem becomes worse and gets more publicity?

I can imagine that many potential buyers , on hearing that their roof will almost certainly fail unexpectedly, will just decide not to buy a C6.

Put another way.....what are Chevy dealers telling prospects about the car? If a potential buyer has heard nothing about the top problem I suspect the salespeople are not saying anything about the problem. They will just let the buyer find out for himself after the sale.

Or what is GM telling the dealers salespeople to say to people to bring up the roof problem? Are they telling people that it is 'fixed' and that all existing roofs are being 'fixed'?

Seems to me that many new buyers are going to feel really abused if they are not informed about this up front and / or told that the problem can be fixed with certainty when in fact the 'fix' doesn't seem to be final by any means?

IMO and just curious what's going on in the showrooms at present.

I was considering a new 07 but won't buy until they get this problem really fixed.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:34 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OregonC6
What will happen to demand for the C6 as the roof problem becomes worse and gets more publicity?

I can imagine that many potential buyers , on hearing that their roof will almost certainly fail unexpectedly, will just decide not to buy a C6.

Put another way.....what are Chevy dealers telling prospects about the car? If a potential buyer has heard nothing about the top problem I suspect the salespeople are not saying anything about the problem. They will just let the buyer find out for himself after the sale.

Or what is GM telling the dealers salespeople to say to people to bring up the roof problem? Are they telling people that it is 'fixed' and that all existing roofs are being 'fixed'?

Seems to me that many new buyers are going to feel really abused if they are not informed about this up front and / or told that the problem can be fixed with certainty when in fact the 'fix' doesn't seem to be final by any means?

IMO and just curious what's going on in the showrooms at present.

I was considering a new 07 but won't buy until they get this problem really fixed.
This will give you time to go down the street and check out those Shelby GT-500's coming in now.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hearing about all this nonsense really gets me mad...I've been a loyal GM supporter for almost 35 years, in fact only my first two cars weren't GM's (I was 19 and neither lasted more than 3 months) all my cars since 19 have been GM's including 3 Corvettes. Is it time to start looking at another brand...Lexus, Mercedes, maybe even a Ford!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again