Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Fuel Pump

Old 06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
cdalemx301
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Fuel Pump

I have an 82 Vette and need to replace the fuel pump it seems to me the pump itself is bigger then the opening to remove it through in the body...Is there any easy way to do this? As I do not want to scratch the paint or damage the vehicle in the process...Is it required to replace the sending unit at the same time? This car has been sitting for a few years now and it is believed to be the fuel pump is the problem...Thanks for the help
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

This the best place to ask. http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

Its tight but will come through that hole. It will take some twisting and turning.

Jim
Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

it will come out .nows the time to change over to the 85 pump .go to the cross-fire forum for details.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
cdalemx301
3rd Gear

85 pump? Heres the deal car is all original...26,000 miles Collectors addition...My dad wants to keep it all original and he doesnt know I am fixing it I am doing this as a fathers day gift...As I know he loves this car but is not mechanicly inclined enough to diagnose and fix it himself...What are the benifits to the 85 pump...crossfire forums? Is that on this site or is it another site?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdalemx301
I have an 82 Vette and need to replace the fuel pump it seems to me the pump itself is bigger then the opening to remove it through in the body...Is there any easy way to do this? As I do not want to scratch the paint or damage the vehicle in the process...Is it required to replace the sending unit at the same time? This car has been sitting for a few years now and it is believed to be the fuel pump is the problem...Thanks for the help
Check your fuses first! To remove the fuel pump out of the fuel door follow this process. If you have really nice paint you will need to protect it. First polish the paint with a high quality wax. Next remove the entire fuel door. Around the door opening use a 2 inch masking tape all around the opening. Get some of the thicker sheet plastic and make a hole in it the size of the door opening. You may want to double up on the plastic. Tape the opening in the plastic to the area you used masking tape previously but now use 2 inch wide duct tape. I would double up on the duct tape around the opening just for extra paint protection. The reason you want to polish the area first is it will help when it comes time to remove the tapes. The reason you want to use masking tape before the duct tape is it will come off easier. Now you are ready to remove the fuel pump. you will need to disconnect the fuel lines and the wires. After all the bolts have been removed the pump will come up and out with a slight turning of the pump assembly. As far as the sending unit is concerned if you have the funds now is the time to do this. Some things can wear out just by sitting around. You can test the sending unit when you have it out of the car just by connecting the wires and turning the ignition to on and moving the float arm up and down and watching the gas gauge through the rear window. Make sure to replace the filter at the bottom of the sender unit. Be sure to get one that is exactly the same. Your local Chevrolet dealer should have this part that is sometimes called a sock.
Good Luck
Steve
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Steve COSD
Check your fuses first! To remove the fuel pump out of the fuel door follow this process. If you have really nice paint you will need to protect it. First polish the paint with a high quality wax. Next remove the entire fuel door. Around the door opening use a 2 inch masking tape all around the opening. Get some of the thicker sheet plastic and make a hole in it the size of the door opening. You may want to double up on the plastic. Tape the opening in the plastic to the area you used masking tape previously but now use 2 inch wide duct tape. I would double up on the duct tape around the opening just for extra paint protection. The reason you want to polish the area first is it will help when it comes time to remove the tapes. The reason you want to use masking tape before the duct tape is it will come off easier. Now you are ready to remove the fuel pump. you will need to disconnect the fuel lines and the wires. After all the bolts have been removed the pump will come up and out with a slight turning of the pump assembly. As far as the sending unit is concerned if you have the funds now is the time to do this. Some things can wear out just by sitting around. You can test the sending unit when you have it out of the car just by connecting the wires and turning the ignition to on and moving the float arm up and down and watching the gas gauge through the rear window. Make sure to replace the filter at the bottom of the sender unit. Be sure to get one that is exactly the same. Your local Chevrolet dealer should have this part that is sometimes called a sock.
Good Luck
Steve

So there you go, Steve laid out perfect instructions, not hard to do but take your time. I did mine last year and also changed the rubber fuel lines while I was in there. The problem I was trying to solve turned out not to be a bad pump BUT man what a difference in performance with the new pump, filter, and hoses. Older pumps don't keep the correct pressure so when you replace one you WILL see a difference.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve COSD
Good Luck
Steve

However, It is recommended that you disconnect the battery ground (negative) cable first just in case you get an electrical short or Arc when disconnecting the wiring harness. You do not want any kind of spark when removing the sending unit.

I just removed my sending unit in my 82 night before last. It is not difficult. The fuel pump is on the end of the sending unit and comes off easy. When you connect the new fuel pump make sure you don not get the wires crossed. If you do get the wires crossed my suspicion is that the pump may run backwards or may not run at all. Pay attention and mark the wires if need be.

The pumps at the dealerships are expensive. I ordered a DELCO pump and fuel sock from a place called the Last Detail in Atlanta. It is actually a fuel pump for an 84 but it is DELCO and it comes with a better wiring harness. American Corvette in Powder Springs GA has complete ( pump, sock float, filler neck and all) sending units for $225.00 You may want to check them out. The Last Detail (1-888-527-8338) American Corvette (770-943-2530)
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

85 pump? Heres the deal car is all original...26,000 miles Collectors addition...My dad wants to keep it all original and he doesnt know I am fixing it I am doing this as a fathers day gift....
Do what Dad wants -- keep the CE original.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:01 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

the 85 pump has more pressure ,it can help with performance .but if you have 26000 miles on it, i would keep it all original .
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

85 pump? Heres the deal car is all original...26,000 miles Collectors addition...My dad wants to keep it all original and he doesnt know I am fixing it I am doing this as a fathers day gift...As I know he loves this car but is not mechanicly inclined enough to diagnose and fix it himself...What are the benifits to the 85 pump...crossfire forums? Is that on this site or is it another site?

The 85 and 82 pumps look identical. The only difference is the 85 pumps at a higher psi. It will guarantee maximum pressure to the throttle bodies. The car will ide smoother and respond better on excelleration.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jim
Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by terry82
it will come out .nows the time to change over to the 85 pump .go to the cross-fire forum for details.
Where is this crossfire forum?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dwncchs
Where is this crossfire forum?

URL for the Crossfire Forum http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

Jim
Old 06-07-2006, 06:48 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Jim
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
cdalemx301
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the replies guys...I'm not used to working on cars haha I am a motocross racer used to working on things on a much smaller scale...I think I will go with an 82 pump from the dealer just because it will stick to its original ties the pump is only 86 bucks so im not to worried about it I just want to get this thing running last time it was driven i had my LP i remember driving it home from drivers ed...I will be 21 in 2 months so I know he will be happy to see it running again

Last edited by cdalemx301; 06-07-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 82 Fuel Pump