C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Drag link

Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 AM
onequik1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 Drag link

Was curious if anyone knows the tension to tighten the drag link cap screws for a 58 or if it matters? I am in the process of rebuilding mine and it seems like you can only go so far because of the cotter key hole, but just wanted to check with the Pros!

Also by the looks of the design for lubrication it probably is a good idea to lube up the insides when putting it together? It looks like the grease zerk is a ways away from the far end.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Chris:
If you don't get the info by tonight I'll be happy to look it up for you. It's a simple process but my old fart brain can't recall precisely so I'm not going to guess.

You are correct prelube the bejesus out of the springs and plungers prior to install then top it off with a thorough zerk greasing. Each end of the drag link has its own zerk.

Ralph
Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

This is covered in the ST-12 on page 9-3; "...using a drag link bit in screw plug slot, tighten plugs snugly to remove all end play of ball. Back off screw plugs 1/4 to 1/2 turn plus amount necessary to insert cotter pin and lock adjustment."

If you're installing a kit with new ball seats, make sure the seats facing the zerk are the ones with a hole in them; some kits only have a hole in one of each pair of ball seats (that's how grease gets to the joint).

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Drag link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 Drag link