C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bose stereo speaker box removal problem 1988 Corvette

Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Supernatural
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose stereo speaker box removal problem 1988 Corvette

How do you get the Bose stereo speaker boxes out of the front doors of a 1988 Corvette? I have already taken off the door panel, but that was no help. I am trying to get to the 4 wire wiring harness to the amp.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:04 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

it ain't easy... as I understand it, you need to disassemble the box, for the lack of a better term.

if I am not mistaken, there is a metal plate in the door, that has to come out, too.

just take everything you see apart, but don't take anything apart that holds up the glass, you may never get it aligned right again.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:43 PM
TripleBlack88
Advanced

Here's how:

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremov...etteFspk89.htm
Old 05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Jims1988C4
Pro

You have to be frigging kidding me ?? OMG !!! My right front and right top Bose speakers dont work, Can all this be by-passed with an aftermarket Radio ?????
Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 PM
robertt43
Racer

Originally Posted by Jims1988C4
You have to be frigging kidding me ?? OMG !!! My right front and right top Bose speakers dont work, Can all this be by-passed with an aftermarket Radio ?????
Yes.I did on my 84! The Boise has its amps in the speakers. A conventional radio has a built in amp. I just unplugged everything from the Boise,and wired the new radio using only the red wire {power]and the yellow[ign. power],and ran new speaker wires and a new ground[blk]. Works fine!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:03 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBlack88
It's not that bad. I removed them for good. 6 1/2'' Infinity's now take their place.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:15 PM
GunShow
Advanced

I am actually in the process of replacing the bose system in my 89. I am assuming that the 88 is the same.

you dont hvae to take apart the speakers to get them out. After you unscrew all of the bolts on on the steel plate, you have to push it down so you can pull the top of it out from behind the door. this takes some patience and finessing. there are wires attached to this plate so those may need to be popped out from the rear in order to get 'er done. It isnt that bad once you get it the first time. After you get the top of the steel plate out from behind the door, you can take the plate out enough to get the speaker box out.

Patience is the key.

I have removed front and rear speakers, made brakets for the front (the rears already have 6x9 cut outs in them) and I am putting everything in tomorrow. I am stoked!

Let me know if you need any advice. and I can tell you what I did/am doing
Old 05-06-2006, 10:20 PM
dmorris
Instructor

It's not too bad. You have to remove the metal panel in the door. The bose speaker box then unbolts with 4 screws. You have to turn the box around a bit and fiddle with it to get it out, but once you get it turned right, it slides out. Make sure you use some component speakers with separate tweeters mounted high. I know from experience that you need this to get any high frequency sounds.

Also, remember to clean and lube your window ribbon and support rod while you have the metal panel out of your door. This makes a major difference in the operation of your windows.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Supernatural
Instructor

I have replaced the 88 bose cassette with a 92 bose cd player from a 92 z28. Best thing I ever did, but now I am thinking of going with a DVD player with a built-in 7" flip out monitor. I had to have a special wiring harness made. I had a bad buzzing noise through the speakers with the 88 bose cassette when I bought the car. I had the 92 bose cd player tested (with non bose speakers at the stereo shop) when I had the harness made and it played clear, but when I installed it in the car it had the same buzzing noise. I by-passed the the bose amps (power and ground wires) in the rear hatch area on the 4 wire connecter and just wired the 2 speaker leads to new non bose speakers. They play fine with no buzzing. When I checked the amp and removed the speaker in the drivers side door they were HOT (from the amp). I am just floored at what it takes to get to the front door speaker boxes.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose stereo speaker box removal problem 1988 Corvette

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose stereo speaker box removal problem 1988 Corvette