C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any PA guys have antique license plate?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:00 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Any PA guys have antique license plate?

My 73 restoration is nearing completion and I'm thinking about registration. I have classic tags on my 68 and must get an annual state inspection which is a PITA. I'm thinking about antique tags for the 73. I've heard there are many more driving restrictions such as can't drive after dark. Do any of you have antique tags and if so have you had any problems with the restrictions? Thanks, Craig
Old 04-21-2006, 06:33 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have em' and havent had any problems as of yet. It's great cause of no inspections and it's lifetime. You can technically drive it one day a week for pleasure....whatever day I get stopped that will be the one day. .... The night thing I'm not to worried about...I mostly drive during the day but if I get pulled over at night I doubt a cop will ticket me...Guess I'll see when the time come's. My insurance covers me for 5000 miles a year thats all i worry about....

Last edited by SULLY_PA; 04-21-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:40 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry I'm in Michigan, but I used to buy historic plates and I never had any problems driving anytime I wanted. Check if PA has the option of "correct year" plates. I switched to them years ago, there are no restrictions, and in Michigan where we don't have vehicle inspections, they are a lifetime plate (no renewal) whereas historic plates need renewal.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 PM
troy1m
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine off everyone thought it referred to the driver.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have antique plates on mine. Pennsylvania never updates anything. The no driving after dark thing was for old cars with a 6 volt system. They state that you are only to use the car going to a show or club event. They are not to be used for daily transportation. You will really only have a problem if someone would report you. I have had mine for 9 years with no problems. I have the purple plate which they do not issue anymore. The new plates have a model T ford on them.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 PM
frostbitten09
Pro

Got them on my 78, This is going to be my dd to school, work, and just driving around. No emissions or inspection for life, thats pefect..... I have the model t newer plat, its pretty nice looking too.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:44 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

I found some info from the site

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES

The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses.Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Classic is the way to go
Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SULLY_PA

The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses.Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

How would anyone be able to enforce 1 day a week
Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

I hear ya'.... Gotta love it
Old 04-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Greenwood79
Pro

I went another way with this.....I thought about the classic plates for quite sometime..Decided that I wanted a personal plate...In PA., you cannot get a classic personalized plate..it's one or the other.....

Also, after much discussion with corvette friends, the thought was that , even though I work on my car myself (to a limited extent), once a year at the shop can be a GOOD THING..just to make sure all is ok...so, I eat the cost every year, but for me anyway, I have a comfort feeling that all was checked thoroughly..(I've known my mechanic for years now and trust his judgement explicity)....Just another take on the question..

BTW..Scotty....ever come to any cruises or shows in the MEDIA, PA. area?

Andy
Old 04-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I have PA antique plates too. No inspections is good BUT you are responsible for the proper operation and safety of YOUR vehicle.

I use my vette for pleasure only, car cruises, shows, burnin rubber
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 AM
73 Survivor
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have antique tags and I drive mine on weekends and at night and have never had a problem. I think if you would drive it every day you might get busted.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenwood79
I went another way with this.....I thought about the classic plates for quite sometime..Decided that I wanted a personal plate...In PA., you cannot get a classic personalized plate..it's one or the other.....

Also, after much discussion with corvette friends, the thought was that , even though I work on my car myself (to a limited extent), once a year at the shop can be a GOOD THING..just to make sure all is ok...so, I eat the cost every year, but for me anyway, I have a comfort feeling that all was checked thoroughly..(I've known my mechanic for years now and trust his judgement explicity)....Just another take on the question..

Andy

Just a little peace of mind knowing that Ron & Ron jr my mechanics go over my car at inspection time top to bottom. Brakes on these always scare me and these guys check the entire system including bleeding the brakes and check for leaks not only the pads for wear. So I got the classics
Old 04-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I have classic plates on my 75 and I drive it everyday in the summer. Never been stopped yet. I think the police could care less and have better things to do than enforce a one day a week rule.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:36 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frostbitten09
Got them on my 78, This is going to be my dd to school, work, and just driving around. No emissions or inspection for life, thats pefect..... I have the model t newer plat, its pretty nice looking too.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 AM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gator79

Get notified of new replies

To Any PA guys have antique license plate?

Old 04-22-2006, 04:36 PM
frostbitten09
Pro

Originally Posted by SULLY_PA

how can they prove this that you drove yoru car more then one day aweek. It would be that cops word against yours, and you could fight saying that cop just doesnt like the fact you have a vette... They cant honestly inforce that..... They woudlnt have that much proof would they?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

I guess not ...Unless the cop saw you drive by a few days in a row...for the weekender I don't think it would ever be a problem.....If your a daily driver... dont drive by cops a lot....then it probably wont be either....
Old 04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I have classic plates on my 75 and I drive it everyday in the summer. Never been stopped yet. I think the police could care less and have better things to do than enforce a one day a week rule.
classic or antique.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any PA guys have antique license plate?