Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Candy Brandywine paint cost?

Old 04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
BlownGlass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Candy Brandywine paint cost?

I was tapped in the rear and it scratched the paint the body shop said they could not match it because it is a custom candy paint job and is suggesting repaint. Good news is it's not on my insurance bad news is there going to flip out. My car has milld graphics on the hood and sides along with several coats of clear. The body shop had a guy from village vettes check it out and he also agrees that a match would not be possible. My question is how much does a paint job like mine cost look at my pic for reference. Thanks for any advice
Old 04-14-2006, 06:30 PM
TheMongoose
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my estimates were from 4-8k for paint with a basic color (base-clear in red). you'll have 3 colors I think for brandywine. doesn't look like you need more than a scuff and block sanding but that's a guess. you're probably at the upper end of that estimate. I'm doing mine myself because of the estimates. Found a DIY paint and repair shop so I joined up.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:54 PM
mstock
Instructor

I'd get a second opinion about not being able to match the paint. It might be they are just to lazy to do it, and want you to pay to repaint the whole car. I have relatives who work in paint shops, and they all have a machine which will analyze your paint and determine what is in it. Then it is just a matter of them tweaking it to get the best possible match. It is the tweaking part that takes a little time because as you know, many times a color by the same name has many different...recipies. My T-bird had a common metallic blue, but during the production run, minor changes were made in the base colors which created slightly different colors of the same color. Hope that made sense. It's like buying different lot numbers of floor tile.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:10 PM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to keep in mind that candy paints are a color over silver or gold so you have two paints to deal with as well as thickness, etc. Giving a different effect.

I bet it can't be easy to match that paint.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:05 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i have a custom mix on my car and i saved about 1/2 galloon of it just in case..... but if i do get hit, it'll work out for me since i have to do some minor body work anyways and i was gonna change to a olive green color or something.......

u'll just have to get it repainted so expect that to be a few months.... and you might be able to hustle a few bucks if you do some of the work yourself...

b
Old 04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Candies (three stage) are just this side of impossible to match. Blending is not an option, as the base silver or gold will leave a shadow, as will the mid-stage. 8 to 10k for 3 stage candy. Plus any artwork. Yes..the insurance company is going to have a sh*t-fit.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:33 PM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

From your pic of the car looks like graphics are all along the side of the car also. Don't know if any graphics are on the portion that was damaged would say next to impossible to match that kandy and graphics again. Really a top notch paint job on your car, hope you aren't dissapointed with the repaint of the car. I would be more worried about finding a qualified shop who can give you the same quality paint job as you have now, houstonvett
Old 04-15-2006, 12:34 AM
69vette66
Pro

Keep in mind that if you do not have custom paint on your policy,the insurance may not cover it and you might have to pay the difference. It happened on mine and I was in collision repair and they would not pay for custom pearl paint. I fought with them for a week.
Good luck
Old 04-15-2006, 01:20 AM
BlownGlass
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69vette66
Keep in mind that if you do not have custom paint on your policy,the insurance may not cover it and you might have to pay the difference. It happened on mine and I was in collision repair and they would not pay for custom pearl paint. I fought with them for a week.
Good luck
I took extra coverage over the price of the car when I bought it 17k but my insurance guy said I should increase it by 10 for custom options to 27k but then he said they might total it then he could no longer full cover until fixed this thing has me all fdup
Old 04-15-2006, 01:22 AM
BlownGlass
Instructor

Keep the advice coming I really appreciate it
Old 04-15-2006, 01:25 AM
BlownGlass
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69vette66
Good luck
It's not a claim on my policy it's the other guys so they should be a little more liberal on there repaint policy so says my insurance guy. Bottom line is my car was fine until there insuree hit me I'm the victim here.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:28 AM
79 t-top
Instructor

Default paint job

Sweet looking mako...hey maybe you can plead your case to chip foose and he'll hook you up...with just a paint job the rest looks...nice.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:45 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Great looking ride. It even looks good in a picture...and I've found that it's hard for a picture to do a "candy job" justice. Larry
Old 04-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Paint it black

Get notified of new replies

To Candy Brandywine paint cost?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Candy Brandywine paint cost?