Sponsored by:

[Z06] I think I killed the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:21 AM
IH8PONYS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think I killed the engine

Just crusin today...at about 30mph. No revving just shiftin slow. Heard something go. Sounded like a bad knocking noise coming out of the engine on the driver's side. I Got it towed home and pulled the plugs out, i thought it might had been a lifter....NO. When i got the #2 plug out it had been hit by something. I can only imagine that it is the piston, I have no idea why though. How could it happen at such a low speed under normal acceleration? I will post pic of plug if anyone could give advice. The car is a 2003 Z06 with 47,000 Mi. No hard driving or racing. No Nos or anything. All the car has is bolt-ons and no chip. Never had a single prob and the car is always WELL maintained. Thanks guys. Looks like it could be time for a Stroker!

F

Last edited by IH8PONYS; 04-03-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:39 AM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I have heard of valve spring failure at low speed.

Sorry your cars broken.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
I have heard of valve spring failure at low speed.

Sorry your cars broken.
The above happened to me while waiting for a light to change. The car had just under 80,000 pampered miles. It was still drivable, but the mechanic later said that the damage was done in the first couple full revolutions of the engine after the spring broke: two holes in the #6 piston and the cylinder wall gouged. The car simply ran rough, no real mechanical noises. Initially I thought it really was a bad sensor, or plugged cat or something. Only while driving on the way to Fremont (Synergy Motorsports, 35 miles away) did the car start to make more serious sounds, like baseball cards in the spokes of a bike wheel. I called a friend for help and he encouraged me to go to Valaya Racing instaead since it was only 2 miles from where I was at the time.

I replaced the motor with a new SLP 402. While I wish I could have avoided the whole mess with a replacement of all the valve springs before the motor got toasted, I am absolutely thrilled with the new combination I now have: 481rwhp/489# torque. But the timing of this extra expense really stinks!

Chuck
Old 04-03-2006, 12:00 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8PONYS
I will post pic of plug if anyone could give advice. The car is a 2003 Z06 with 47,000 Mi. No hard driving or racing. No Nos or anything. All the car has is bolt-ons and no chip.
F
Early '03 or late '03? Seems like '02 and early '03's are a problem, I think they fixed it later--I know the LS2 has a different spring.

I will have to have these springs changed when I get my Z06.

Any body know how common this is? This is like the 4th on the board.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
IH8PONYS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck Harmon
The above happened to me while waiting for a light to change. The car had just under 80,000 pampered miles. It was still drivable, but the mechanic later said that the damage was done in the first couple full revolutions of the engine after the spring broke: two holes in the #6 piston and the cylinder wall gouged. The car simply ran rough, no real mechanical noises. Initially I thought it really was a bad sensor, or plugged cat or something. Only while driving on the way to Fremont (Synergy Motorsports, 35 miles away) did the car start to make more serious sounds, like baseball cards in the spokes of a bike wheel. I called a friend for help and he encouraged me to go to Valaya Racing instaead since it was only 2 miles from where I was at the time.

I replaced the motor with a new SLP 402. While I wish I could have avoided the whole mess with a replacement of all the valve springs before the motor got toasted, I am absolutely thrilled with the new combination I now have: 481rwhp/489# torque. But the timing of this extra expense really stinks!

Chuck
Ya its a early 2003!

Thanks Chuck, Ya is definately does Stink!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sounds like a valve spring... my '01 has 56,xxx hard miles on it and hasn't missed a beat. However stories like this make me want to get a spring swap as insurance. Heck might as well get that cam put in =)
Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

My 02 quit at an idle. 2 broken springs. I threw them all in the trash.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:42 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It was reports like this (there are also a couple that had it happen with their CTS-Vs) that prompted me to replace all the springs in my CTS-V.

I am doing Mr. Vette next.

Comp duals and titanium retainers.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Diamond
My 02 quit at an idle. 2 broken springs. I threw them all in the trash.
Can anybody confirm a different valve spring used in late '03-04 LS6 motors? How late in '03?

As for the '01--it is not the same deal with the '01. I think it has a different spring, but irregardless, I KNOW it has a milder cam and solid valves. For all the oil consumption issues with the '01, you are safer with respect to blowing the motor.

Incidently, I read on hear of one that went at 16,000 mi don't dismiss this as a "high mileage" issue. 16k, 47k, 88k, it's all over the map, which does not bode well at all.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

The '02's seem to have had the problem. Mine did and several other guys here also. There was quite a long thread here about a year ago on the topic. The member did quite a bit of leg work. Perhaps you can still locate it under search. My '02 quit while I was idling at a stop sign. Restarted and blam. One spring broke, tossed the valve through the exhaust and lodged it in the entrance to the pass. side cat! The rest of the trash wound up in the pan. At the time there were 21k miles on it. GM replaced the entire engine no questions asked. It has since become a dedicated track car and the first thing I did was to replace stock valve train with the Crane roller rockers, springs etc.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 PM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 02' Z06 a few weeks ago. What could I expect to pay to have the springs changed? Is this a job for the average Joe?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:15 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You can do it, but it takes air.

There are a few fittings you need to get to "pump up" the cylinders to hold the valves in place.

I ordered all the stuff from Summit, but you can get most of what you need (if not all of it) from any good vendor.

It also helps to have a friend install the keepers while you push on the inside spring (on a dual spring setup).

Just don't drink beer before or during
Old 04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Wolf Dog
The '02's seem to have had the problem. Mine did and several other guys here also. There was quite a long thread here about a year ago on the topic. The member did quite a bit of leg work. Perhaps you can still locate it under search. My '02 quit while I was idling at a stop sign. Restarted and blam. One spring broke, tossed the valve through the exhaust and lodged it in the entrance to the pass. side cat! The rest of the trash wound up in the pan. At the time there were 21k miles on it. GM replaced the entire engine no questions asked. It has since become a dedicated track car and the first thing I did was to replace stock valve train with the Crane roller rockers, springs etc.
Another 21k mi. Not encouraging.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
VinceAD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
You can do it, but it takes air.

There are a few fittings you need to get to "pump up" the cylinders to hold the valves in place.

I ordered all the stuff from Summit, but you can get most of what you need (if not all of it) from any good vendor.

It also helps to have a friend install the keepers while you push on the inside spring (on a dual spring setup).

Just don't drink beer before or during

Thanks!

Vince
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

ALTHOUGH all of my TUNERS (and some of the best in the bussiness) have told me no reason to change my stock valve springs on my 02 BLown Z with 23,000 miles on the clock, but it is threads just like this own which want me to throw on some PATRIOT dual GOLDS ASAP!!

THIS decison is very confusing to me!!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:47 PM
IH8PONYS
Burning Brakes

Yep Guys, got the Valve cover off....Broken valve spring! I am only hoping that the valve is not bent!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by IH8PONYS
Yep Guys, got the Valve cover off....Broken valve spring! I am only hoping that the valve is not bent!
Man that sucks, and i hope your valve is not bent either! Best of luck and i can't believe this is happening on stock LS6 motors without any significant mods and with easy driving!!

Get notified of new replies

To I think I killed the engine

Old 04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

At least there is a fix.

Replace them, that is, BEFORE they fail.

Comp Cams makes a whole kit (except keepers).

Cheap compared to what a motor will cost

This is becomming more common........
Old 04-05-2006, 01:15 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those with broken valve springs it might help you and others if you called the Chev. Customer Assist. line at 1-800-222-1020 and ask some questions while also stating your problem with the springs. If enough of you did this you might get a "hidden warranty" or even get GM to look closer into the situation as far as a recall.
I called and said I was worried about this problem in the future because I have heard of a lot of valve breakage problems. They said they knew of no one having this problem. Now would be the time to let them know of the problem. They will give you a service request number about the complaint and then it will be on file. If enough of you do this you might get money back at a later date due to a class action suit. This happened to me with my Ford Tempo. It took Ford several years admit to a problem because enough people complained and there was a record of the complaints (service request numbers).
There may not be a lot of broken springs out there now but what about in 3 or 4 years? Help yourself and others-call the number and let us know what they say.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by skeet
For those with broken valve springs it might help you and others if you called the Chev. Customer Assist. line at 1-800-222-1020 and ask some questions while also stating your problem with the springs. If enough of you did this you might get a "hidden warranty" or even get GM to look closer into the situation as far as a recall.
I called and said I was worried about this problem in the future because I have heard of a lot of valve breakage problems. They said they knew of no one having this problem. Now would be the time to let them know of the problem. They will give you a service request number about the complaint and then it will be on file. If enough of you do this you might get money back at a later date due to a class action suit. This happened to me with my Ford Tempo. It took Ford several years admit to a problem because enough people complained and there was a record of the complaints (service request numbers).
There may not be a lot of broken springs out there now but what about in 3 or 4 years? Help yourself and others-call the number and let us know what they say.
This is good advice, if you find a nice cooperative dealer (laugh) they may be willing to fix the problem under warranty even though there is not a TSB on it but simply for the fact that it is somewhat common on these cars.

Quick Reply: [Z06] I think I killed the engine