C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

SLP claw cold air project

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 02:36 AM
locobob
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SLP claw cold air project

You guys have already seen my dyno test of the claw vs. stock and unfortunately we didn't see much in the way of a HP gain. Here is phase two of the project: ducting cool air from under the front bumper. The SLP unit lends itself to this quite well as you can see by the photos. I built the scoop out of aluminum, not too tough just a lot of measuring and cutting. I will be adding more to it in the near future, definetly something up top to shroud the air intake area and possibly more of a direct scoop down below. I don't expect any dyno gains from this but it should help in real world driving by providing a constant stream of ambient temperature air to the filters.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:42 AM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does your TB plate say?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:50 AM
locobob
Drifting

Originally Posted by 90 Corvette ZR-1
what does your TB plate say?
The big lettering says LT5 and the smaller lettering going through it says Lingenfelter. My car didn't get the usual plenum engraving from LPE so I figured it would be a nice touch - and tribute to John to put his name on the motor. I have the master if any other LPE Z owners want one made up.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:52 AM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by locobob
The big lettering says LT5 and the smaller lettering going through it says Lingenfelter. My car didn't get the usual plenum engraving from LPE so I figured it would be a nice touch - and tribute to John to put his name on the motor. I have the master if any other LPE Z owners want one made up.
very cool
Old 03-25-2006, 03:02 AM
locobob
Drifting

Here's a better pic of the throttle body plate.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 AM
ZZZZZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, that car is really coming together, not for the lack of your efforts! Intake ducting looks good!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious, have you done anything like watch the IAT sensor output to see if the air is at all colder, or maybe if after sitting it drops back down any quicker or anything like that?

Or any qualitative observations on the SLP unit? Does it sound any different at WOT? Does it seem like the filters pull from all the way around? Do you like how it looks?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Quasar Z
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

By looking at the pictures it appears that his IAT sensor has been relocated. He would need to put it back into the air horn to take measurments to determine any difference.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:59 PM
locobob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quasar Z
By looking at the pictures it appears that his IAT sensor has been relocated. He would need to put it back into the air horn to take measurments to determine any difference.
Correct, the IAT is currently sitting near the radiator shroud. I plan on doing some timed acceleration runs on the freeway to compare this to the stock air box once I get it finished up.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
locobob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Does it sound any different at WOT? Does it seem like the filters pull from all the way around? Do you like how it looks?
1. Not that I can tell, with B&B's you don't hear a whole lot besides exhaust roar. 2. I don't see any reason they wouldn't pull from all directions, the pipe going in is a straight cut and ends before the filter area. 3. It is pretty slick looking, especially when powder coated to match the engine, hard to see in my photos as they are kinda dark.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's just gonna fill the engine with dirt. At least with the early C4 SLP which is cold air, all that garbage goes to the filter and none into the engine compartment. Next you should fab up an aluminum cover to seal it off from the hot engine air.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:47 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
It's just gonna fill the engine with dirt. At least with the early C4 SLP which is cold air, all that garbage goes to the filter and none into the engine compartment. Next you should fab up an aluminum cover to seal it off from the hot engine air.

I have a ram air box that does exactly this. It has the same three filters, and it cost 10 rwhp on the dyno.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
I have a ram air box that does exactly this. It has the same three filters, and it cost 10 rwhp on the dyno.
I would start with putting a BF fan in front of it to get some cold air to it, otherwise it's just pulling in toasty radiator air, through a longer more restrictive path.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by locobob
1. Not that I can tell, with B&B's you don't hear a whole lot besides exhaust roar. 2. I don't see any reason they wouldn't pull from all directions, the pipe going in is a straight cut and ends before the filter area. 3. It is pretty slick looking, especially when powder coated to match the engine, hard to see in my photos as they are kinda dark.
Thanks. The powdercoat looks nice. I didn't have the hawkeye like Quasar Z to notice the relocated IAT, though.

I should be getting a NIB one from someone on the registry in a bit, I'm curious to see if the MAP voltage will drop a little less on high-rpm WOT operation, or really if anything seems to change at all.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 AM
gringoray
Racer

If somebody sold this, I would certainly buy it.

The C4 is a bottom breather, so why in hell GM didn't make an opening for fresh air is beyond me.

This is a great idea, cut a hole in your bottom shroud, fabricate a nice looking aluminum scoop, then seal it off up top, maybe with see thru material. I would pay good money for this product!

I have the open-lid style. No Claw here.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:02 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

The c4 does have an opening from the filter to down in front, at least in 85, it just isn't ducted.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
gringoray
Racer

Default Dremel a big square in the radiator shroud?

Seems to me that cutting a big square in the plastic shroud where the Claw sits would help immensely, at least fresh air would enter thru this hole, which in turn is better than hot closed air from the engine.

Has anyone cut a hole in their shroud like what I am describing and what are the pros and cons?

I just purchased the SLP Claw and am looking for a new way to get fresh cold air via the bottom air entry.

LocoBob, have you had any bad after effects of cutting into your shroud?

Get notified of new replies

To SLP claw cold air project

Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
locobob
Drifting

Originally Posted by gringoray
LocoBob, have you had any bad after effects of cutting into your shroud?
No, seems to be working fine. Coolant temps are running about the same even though I blocked a little of the radiators air flow with the scoop. The engine bay is getting a little extra dirt but not as bad as one might think, this will get much better when I wall in the intake area.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My shroud is cut also for my flip box. I have also just added a claw as of late. So for not impressed. Havent dyno'd but see no change in performance. Also cooling hasnt been effected but I also have a street nose not factory. Enjoy
Old 04-06-2006, 11:47 PM
locobob
Drifting

Originally Posted by gunnerja
My shroud is cut also for my flip box. I have also just added a claw as of late. So for not impressed. Havent dyno'd but see no change in performance. Also cooling hasnt been effected but I also have a street nose not factory. Enjoy
You did see my dyno test of the claw vs stock vs cut-lid with K&N didn't you? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1315330
The claw didn't show much on the dyno, if anything it picked up some mid range as evidenced by the average numbers. I still think it's going to be good for something on the highway when fed by some high pressure air, I'll be doing some testing pretty soon to find out.

Quick Reply: SLP claw cold air project