C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Noise in a C6 Coupe

Old 03-25-2006, 08:55 PM
mkerouac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cabin Noise in a C6 Coupe

I just completed a 12 hour run from Raleigh, NC to central Massachusetts. I think I'm now half deaf. I can't beleive the degree of cabin noise at 65-80mph. I can't remember noticing the hum in the cabin of my C5 Z06 nearly as much. I could barely talk on the cell phone and the stereo sounds like crap with all of the background buzz. I think it may be the run flats. Any opinions. I have some new wheels sitting in the garage. I may just buy some new pressure sensors and some Pilot Sports, then throw the original wheels and tires in the corner.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkerouac
I just completed a 12 hour run from Raleigh, NC to central Massachusetts. I think I'm now half deaf. I can't beleive the degree of cabin noise at 65-80mph. I can't remember noticing the hum in the cabin of my C5 Z06 nearly as much. I could barely talk on the cell phone and the stereo sounds like crap with all of the background buzz. I think it may be the run flats. Any opinions. I have some new wheels sitting in the garage. I may just buy some new pressure sensors and some Pilot Sports, then throw the original wheels and tires in the corner.
No way you mentioned going 80 mph you can't do that here that's illegal IB4TL!!!!!11

And talking on the cell phone while driving omg!

Ok SERIOUS reply:

How many miles are on your tires? And are they inflated properly? I found at 21000 miles, my Supercar EMTs were obnoxiously loud. I mean LOUD. Plus, properly inflating them makes them quiter. I put new tires on recently and it literally halved the sound.

Now instead of hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I hear "creak" and "groan" and "rattle."
Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

WOW... I'm surprised because every C6 I've been in has been acceptable sound wise. The longest I rode at one time was about 6 hours in an 05 but cabin noise wasn't an issue at all. Sounds like it's tire change time or something. I get mine in 2 weeks and perhaps I should have ordered the optional EAR PROTECTION... : :
Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 PM
rosemaryburm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May be just a matter or personal tolerance. We drove from BG to South Florida, about 900 miles with a few side trips. It was definitely noisier than the Acura and Saab, but we listened to classical music, audiobooks, and XM radio classic rock with no real problems. Do a 50 mile r/t several times a week, same thing. We do not find the engine/trans/tire noise "uncomfortable"-- but I can definitely see where some people would have a problem.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine is not like my XJ8 but I have noticed that when the rear is full of luggage, jackets and other things it is quiter than when empty. But even when empty it's not bad.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

I have the F55 optioned C6 and in touring mode, it is quiet as a mouse.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine has a fair amount of road noise, mostly tires. It is noisier than my 4x4 Dodge Ram, but it certainly isn't so loud that I have trouble listening to the radio or carrying on a conversation.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

I find it more quiet than the C-5. IMHO
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
lexaudio
Melting Slicks

I recommend this at high volumes:

http://www.korn.com/

LEX
Old 03-25-2006, 11:22 PM
jmess
Pro

I have always found my C6 to have a lot of tire noise at freeway speeds. I always try and wear ear plugs. I bounce back and forth between the stock GS EMTs and BFG KDW2s. I find the KDW2s have a different pitch noise which doesn't seem as loud but I would bet if you measured the decibels it would be the same as the GS EMTs.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:03 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone done any sound dampening in the C6 yet like many C5 guys did. May be an option. It is a time consuming operation but it looked fairly straight forward. There is also a forum vendor who sells pre cut kits for the C5. I bet he will have a C6 one soon if not already.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:26 AM
97GTS
Instructor

My '06 has the loudest tires I've ever had on a car. I don't know if it's because they are runflats or the tread design. I can see how it would be annoying for long trips.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:42 AM
2bubbas
Drifting

It's the tires. On some road conditions the noise can be terrible. On my 01 I switched from the Goodyears to Pilot Sports and noise was gone. Haven't noticed it was as bad on the 05.

Another thought- Didn't you have a partition between the cockpit and trunk in the Z06?

I just bought a partition and I'm hoping that helps with any noise.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:26 AM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shurite44
Has anyone done any sound dampening in the C6 yet like many C5 guys did. May be an option. It is a time consuming operation but it looked fairly straight forward. There is also a forum vendor who sells pre cut kits for the C5. I bet he will have a C6 one soon if not already.
Yes - I have done the doors and that helps. Others have done the tail which also reportedly helps. See detail in the C6 audio FAQ under the general corvette section.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:34 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I was in my console yesterday for an unrelated reason, but I did drive the car for a short period without the console in place. Man, a terrific amount of noise comes from that area. The little bit of foam that GM puts in there to tone it down is a joke. So I cut and formed two layers of the foil covered Acousti-mat for placement inside the TT tunnel, between the TT and the tunnel itself, including around the shifter and down the left side. After re-installing everything, I took the car for a second drive. I estimate that the interior is 15 to 20 db's quieter now. Amaising. Definitely worth the hassel of R&R the console. Most, if not all of the noise is now coming from the tires. Once the tires are changed to non-runflats, I think it will as quiet as a Caddy.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Cowboy1963
Heel & Toe

No doubt the EMT's are noisier, but I have noticed alot of the noise in the cabin is dependent upon road surface.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a partition from exotic vettes. I made the stereo sound a lot better but I didn't notice any sound level differenceover stock... Then I put a set of Flowmasters on. The was some resonance so I put a layer of dynamat under the fatory rear carpet along with a layer of jute and I have a loyds mat. Those items helped some but I can still hear the tires and the drone is still there at certain RPMs.

Get notified of new replies

To Cabin Noise in a C6 Coupe

Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 AM
jimmymac
Racer

Originally Posted by cthusker
WOW... I'm surprised because every C6 I've been in has been acceptable sound wise. The longest I rode at one time was about 6 hours in an 05 but cabin noise wasn't an issue at all. Sounds like it's tire change time or something. I get mine in 2 weeks and perhaps I should have ordered the optional EAR PROTECTION... : :

Not to worry, cthusker. Had mine for about a year and my wife and I find the ride and noise level more than acceceptable. This guy may have an alignment problem, creating an abnormal tire wear pattern. That would definately contribute to his noise issues.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:37 AM
mkerouac
Racer

Thanks for all the posts. I have about 1500 miles on the car so far. I took Museum delivery in Jan and stored the car in Raleigh, NC. I couldn't take it anymore so I flew down there on Friday and drove back Sat.

I'm convinced it's the tires. Road surface also makes a difference. Rte 95 isn't the smoothest road in the world. I did have the partition in my Z06 and it had the Supercar tires vs. run flats. I'm scheduled to take a trip from Mass to BG in April and then Mass to Myrtle Beach in June, so I have to get the car quieted down by then. What do think, Pilot Sports, or Yoko's??

Last edited by mkerouac; 03-26-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-26-2006, 08:47 AM
jlog323
Racer

It is the run flats, a sacrifice for being able to run flat on very hard sidewalls. But I also agree with other posters that it depends on the road surtface. There is an amazing difference between concrete and macadam for noise. On macadam my '06 coupe is very quiet. The difference is especially noticeable when there's a transition form one to the other.

Also tires are different from "base" to "Z51" to "Z06" and the higher perf tires may be noisier. Many forum members, as posted here, change the tires and sacrifice run-flat capability.

There also have been many threads regarding the "drone" of exhausts on the C6s. It manifests itself in my car in a repeated cadence-like hum in the cockpit every 1.5 sec or so., not loud but surely noticeable. Some change exhaust systems to eliminate this.

There may be other reasons ror the noise, sounds like it is v. loud, but these seem to be the main complaints. You might try the tech forum for more mechanical causes for road noise. It could be so mething we don't normally associate with typical road noise in Vettes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabin Noise in a C6 Coupe