Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

[DFW] Anyone do LED installs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
StealthZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default [DFW] Anyone do LED installs?

I just got my aluminum gauge bezels, and the installation requires taking apart the whole console/cluster. I figured while everything is apart it would be a good time to do the interior LED install. Only problem is that I have no experience sodering and I wouldn't trust myself to do it. Would anyone around here be willing do this type of installation? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be in for switching all the lights to blue leds also.

Someone can make some extra money.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
1960LS6
Intermediate

Would not mind taking care of the wiring, but would rather you do the R&R on the console. Let me know...

Last edited by 1960LS6; 03-17-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
StealthZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must apologize because I'm not familiar with the acronym R&R. I'm going to take a guess here, were you saying that you would rather not bother with the disassembly and reassembly of the console, but you could do the wiring/soldering?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
1960LS6
Intermediate

Consoles and other interior parts can look sloppy when removed and reinstalled. Plus after a few years some small plastic retainers holding items in place can become brittle and snap from proper removal procedure. Wiring and soldering are not an issue, but I would rather not be involved with paying for/ replacing aged components. I would come to your location and make clean heat shrunk solder connections or you can come to me (west side of FTW). If the wires to be soldered were exposed (console removed), it should take less than 10-15 minutes to complete. It would almost take more time to lay out the extension cord for the iron and heat gun than it would to solder the wires...Joe
Old 04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I build the conversion LED's for the right and left door modules, center console A/H - Traction Control, F45 contoller and LEDs for R&L side of dash inside instrument cluster DIC and Left Side (HUD and dimmer) dash lights- Total converted bulbs -- 18 (I think).

$4 each with exchange of your stock bulbs - you do the install (really quite easy)

I don't do the HVAC or Radio Lights....

They Look VERY nice after conversion. These particular lamps can not be bought over the counter anywhere, as the sockets are unique (not to mention hard to find and pricey!).

You can get generic bulbs for map light, trunk lights, under dash (kick panel), etc....anything that you can use a 'standard' bulb for is available in LED's from Festoon Lighting or something like that. Do a Google search.

OR, if you want to try it yourself - CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO on How to Do it. *Note - this is about the 100th one or more I've done. There is a learning curve involved in knowing how much to mash down the wires without breaking the socket.... so keep that in mind as well.

PM me if you need some made up - takes a day or so - Can do in Blue or Red

Get notified of new replies

To [DFW] Anyone do LED installs?

Quick Reply: [DFW] Anyone do LED installs?