C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Antenna Mount

Old 02-16-2006, 09:10 PM
cruise-2-XS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CB Antenna Mount

Has anyone designed a bracket to mount a CB mast antenna at the back of a C6 coupe? I've seen the reinforced license plate bracket approach but that seems too extreme for me. There is a clear segment of the rear frame between the two exhaust tips and there is even a starter hole drilled there. Seems like a good place to install a bracket that extends backward and downward (kind of like a trailer hitch frame).

If nothing's available, I'll probably try and build something and let you all know how it turns out.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:54 PM
tich2001
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

Why are you trying to put a CB radio in a corvette???
Old 02-16-2006, 11:11 PM
divedude
Instructor

Originally Posted by tich2001

To find the smokies
Old 02-17-2006, 03:21 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Yesterday, I saw a car with a CB # license plate, and wondered if anyone still used CBs. Do all truckers still have them?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:08 AM
MyRedC6
Racer

Originally Posted by C6BOB
Yesterday, I saw a car with a CB # license plate, and wondered if anyone still used CBs. Do all truckers still have them?
Every over the road truck still has them. Truckers were very happy when the "4 wheelers" got off the air.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I find CB to be annoying and useless most of the time for road info- clogged by truckers with small brains, big mouths, and too much time on their hands. Not all truckers are like that, but enough to trash out the radio.

On the other hand, it's virtually a necessity for traveling with a group of cars. Our club always uses CB for our road trips and anyone without it misses half of the fun.

So, I'm also looking for a way to mount the antenna on my Coupe.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 PM
cruise-2-XS
Advanced

Default Club Cruises

Yep,

What he just said. The CB is great for club cruises and for listening to the truckers call out the "smokey" locations and the road hazards.

As members have stated, there is a lot of crap on the air but there is still enough useful info to make using a CB on road trips and club cruises worthwhile.

Sounds like there are no other commercial mounting systems for the C6 so I'll be designing my own.

I'll post pic's when it is done.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Perry Mason
Burning Brakes

Are you serious?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tich2001
I was thinking the same thing. I loved these things 25 years ago ...but now?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I used this C5 one as a guide and made one for about 1/4th the cost: http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=2.308.2926. Slips behind the plate and attaches with the plate screws. I only put it on for club trips.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

The idea sounds neat but I'd worry about cracking the bumper or pulling the plate screws out of the car- do they seat into something solid? There's a lot of air force on the antenna at high speeds, especially if you use one of those thick fiberglass ones. A few people in our club used the license plate mount on their C5's, and the antenna is tilted back about 45' at 100 mph. Of course much of the bending could be in the mount itself, not in the bumper.

Anyone else use that system?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:33 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
I used this C5 one as a guide and made one for about 1/4th the cost: http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=2.308.2926. Slips behind the plate and attaches with the plate screws. I only put it on for club trips.
I saw a ton of those in Nashville at the 50th Anniversary...of course there was over 10,000 Vettes there.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:51 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I find CB to be annoying and useless most of the time for road info- clogged by truckers with small brains, big mouths, and too much time on their hands. Not all truckers are like that, but enough to trash out the radio.

On the other hand, it's virtually a necessity for traveling with a group of cars. Our club always uses CB for our road trips and anyone without it misses half of the fun.

So, I'm also looking for a way to mount the antenna on my Coupe.

Just too many pea brains on Comic Book Radio. Go for a police scanner with one of those glass mounts just make sure there isn't any tint between the glass and mount.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

The idea sounds neat but I'd worry about cracking the bumper or pulling the plate screws out of the car- do they seat into something solid? There's a lot of air force on the antenna at high speeds, especially if you use one of those thick fiberglass ones. A few people in our club used the license plate mount on their C5's, and the antenna is tilted back about 45' at 100 mph. Of course much of the bending could be in the mount itself, not in the bumper.

Anyone else use that system?
This mount on the license plate looks so stupid why butcher a Corvette like that? If you are on Comic Book radio you are in a caravan you are in very close range of each other it would be less hassle and less ugly to just use an indoor antenna. I know you have no ground plane but even a walkie talkie is better and will work in caravans since you are in very close range of each other. Then again if you are longer distances use a cellphone instead. Don't butcher a Corvette like that....
This reminds me of those cop-wanna-bees (ambulance chasers with the big american sedan police lookalike undercover cars with a whole bunch of different antennas on the roof with some weird looking fat guy driving
Old 02-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

My C5 had a "no ground plane" antenna mounted horizontally in the cargo net. Totally stealth, the range was about 1/2 mile max, only 1/4 mile in traffic. Not quite enough to keep in touch with a large group. I tried a magnetic mount antenna behind the seats and it wasn't any better, in fact not quite as good. A hand-held radio is even worse, unless you connect it to a good antenna.

I don't like antennas on the outside of the car but I'll use it only for group cruises where the extra range is needed. For that, outside seems the only way to go.

So, how strong is the license plate mount on a C6?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:46 AM
Dankus Z
Heel & Toe

Default Back Plate for CB Antenna Mount to back of C6

My C5 had a "no ground plane" antenna mounted horizontally in the cargo net. Totally stealth, the range was about 1/2 mile max, only 1/4 mile in traffic. Not quite enough to keep in touch with a large group. I tried a magnetic mount antenna behind the seats and it wasn't any better, in fact not quite as good. A hand-held radio is even worse, unless you connect it to a good antenna.

I don't like antennas on the outside of the car but I'll use it only for group cruises where the extra range is needed. For that, outside seems the only way to go.

So, how strong is the license plate mount on a C6?
Get the back plate for it and it mounts very strong. There is still flex but he back plate makes all the difference in the world.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Someone used to make a CB antenna that went through the window glass. Both ends stuck to the glass and there was no need to cut anything. Kinda like the old cell phone antennas. You' ll have to hunt around to find one of these.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To CB Antenna Mount

Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C6BOB
CB users are not issued numbers or call signs. What you was was a personalized plate for a HAM radio operator.

Matt
Old 07-30-2015, 07:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

CB was fashionable, what, 9 years ago when this thread meant something to someone?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:22 AM
NewfGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not Hand-Held?

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...ics/5811987011

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CB Antenna Mount