Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Low Oil Pressure!

Old 12-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure!

My 06 Z06 was towed to a dealer yesterday. That's another long story! Not fun. Left the car in Buttonwillow,Ca after getting a "low oil pressure" error signal. Oil pressure was indicating very low.Oil level was good and the engine was not overheated.I am hoping the problem is a sender or something simple.

Thanks to alanlaw,a real gentleman,who was really helpful!

Cheers

R
Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 AM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it's just an error signal. Better safe then sorry though!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:22 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ruf-Racer
My 06 Z06 was towed to a dealer yesterday. That's another long story! Not fun. Left the car in Buttonwillow,Ca after getting a "low oil pressure" error signal. Oil pressure was indicating very low.Oil level was good and the engine was not overheated.I am hoping the problem is a sender or something simple.

Thanks to alanlaw,a real gentleman,who was really helpful!

Cheers

R
Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Did you get a chance to read the oil temperature on the DIC?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Oil Temp?

DIC indicated oil & water temp were well within range. Oil was `190 & water was 210.DIC said oil pressure was low..about 10 psi at idle and 19 psi running slowly to a safe parking area.Oil level was down, and I added 1/2 quart to bring it to the "top hole" on the stick. I have 3400 miles on the car and that was the first oil I needed to add.I do check fluid levels frequently.
I am hoping for a call from the dealer today,that may be wishful since we are at a holday point.

Cheers

R

P.S.
MERRY CRISTMAS TO ALL
Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

keep us posted Ruf.............
Old 12-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Hool97
Burning Brakes

The oil temp was a little on the low side. Their may be restriction somewhere in the pick-ups. They should actually read oil pressure from both pumps, too bad they don't. I would be interesting to know where the read the oil temp from ? pre or post leaving the oil pan scavanger.

Last edited by Hool97; 12-23-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:01 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

usually when the oil sending unit goes bad - it reads too high pressure
Old 12-23-2005, 02:14 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

DIC indicated oil & water temp were well within range. Oil was `190 & water was 210.DIC said oil pressure was low..about 10 psi at idle and 19 psi running slowly to a safe parking area.
With the 19 PSI at small RPMs above idle, I suspecet that the oil was actually at 290dF, which would result in this kind of oil pressure.

Sure hope I'm wrong....
Old 12-23-2005, 02:19 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Hope all is well!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
With the 19 PSI at small RPMs above idle, I suspecet that the oil was actually at 290dF, which would result in this kind of oil pressure.

Sure hope I'm wrong....
Seems unlikely that the oil temp gauge is wrong, but the oil pressure gauge is right. And the oil pressure gauge is giving the error.

Just seems like an unlikely chain of events.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Oil Temp!

The 19 psi oil pressure was ( also) observed about 5 hours after cool down, (no warning lights) when I drove the car onto a flat bed.
Guys,this is not fun! Car dealer is located in very rural area and the service guy says they will get to it "sometime" next week. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about service at a small farming community dealer but that is where "chevusa" took the car.

cheers

R

Last edited by Ruf-Racer; 12-23-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

The 19 psi oil pressure was ( also) observed about 5 hours after cool down, (no warning lights) when I drove the car onto a flat bed.
Guys,this is not fun! Car dealer is located in very rural area and the service guy says they will get to it "sometime" next week. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about service at a small farming community dealer but that is where "chevusa" took the car.

cheers

R
These small town mechanics usually have the best common sense................I think your car will be fine..............
Old 12-23-2005, 04:52 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cheers

R
Well, you are at a decision point here. If I were in your situation, I would have the car flat-bedded to the nearest Chev dealer that had mechanics that were familiar with Vettes, even if I had to pay the cost myself. Even lifting the car requires special technique not to damage the body. The clerk at chevusa probably doesn't even know what a Z06 is. Again, if they haven't started to work on the car this option is open to you, but the decision has to be made right away. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Steve..god idea

If I were in your situation, I would have the car flat-bedded to the nearest Chev dealer that had mechanics that were familiar with Vettes, even if I had to pay the cost myself.

How would I determine which dealer has experience with Vettes? How different is 06 Z06 to say,prior year Z06 model? Which dealer has been to Z06 school?
Can anybody clue me about contacting a factory technical representative to handle this. I am OK with transport costs.

Cheers

R
Old 12-23-2005, 06:33 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

How would I determine which dealer has experience with Vettes? How different is 06 Z06 to say,prior year Z06 model? Which dealer has been to Z06 school?
Can anybody clue me about contacting a factory technical representative to handle this. I am OK with transport costs.

Cheers

R
From my experience, dealerships that sell Corvettes have factory trained corvette techs. If they sell corvettes then you are probably good to go. The only problem is that this car is really new but due to the C6 being out for a year they may have a person that has enough experience to fix the car. If I were you, I would call this dealership and ask all of these questions. With technology today, they can read computer codes and send them out for advice..............
Old 12-23-2005, 07:03 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by vegasdude
These small town mechanics usually have the best common sense................I think your car will be fine..............
Ah, no! I've had my car worked on by a guy who never worked on vettes before (small south TX town) and he had to order 3 different parts before he got it right - column lock problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Oil Pressure!

Old 12-23-2005, 07:20 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cheers

R
Welcome to the world of Corvettes. Most major metropolitan areas have one, maybe two, Chevy dealers qualfied to work on Vettes. There just aren't that many out there compared to the total volume of Chevrolet cars and trucks. I'd say that if you let us know how far the car is from, say LA or San Francisco, that someone on the Forum could probably recommend a good dealer to take the car to.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Ruf-Racer
Racer

Default Location

My car is near Buttonwillow,Ca or about 160 miles N of my home in Orange County.
Perhaps,I can wait for preliminary diagnosis and If the issues is a simple sensor or something,well ok then.would that work?

Cheers

R

rolandrothATmac.com
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is near Buttonwillow,Ca or about 160 miles N of my home in Orange County.
Perhaps,I can wait for preliminary diagnosis and If the issues is a simple sensor or something,well ok then.would that work?

Cheers

R

rolandrothATmac.com
If its in Bakersfield your ok(3 Way)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Low Oil Pressure!