C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please

Old 12-17-2005, 04:58 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please

Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS: I am interested in how many Corvette Forum members have them installed on their C4.
Mine is a 1990 L98 Coupe Medium Quasar Blue Automatic
I know that Mr. Marsh, who sold me my kit has a color changing 1991 LT1 coupe in Kentucky. I now know of two forum members that still have uninstalled kits in there garage (One in Texas & One in NJ). The first magazine article had a burgundy ZR=1 in the January 1991 issue. A red ZR1 with white Marboro racing stripes appeared in the Sept 1991 Vette magazine issue as owned by Rick Mears at the time. He also had a yellow L98 convertible. I have seen the White 1991 LT1 coupe LPE version (Va-Va-Voom) that was sold at auction recently and also on the cover of the Sept 1992 Car & Driver magazine. The Corvette Fever August 1993 featured a Dark Metalic Rose 1986 coupe as a Corvettes @ Carlisle giveaway. The January 2001 Vette magazine feature a Grand Sport Blue w/white stripe conversion owned by one of our Forum members. I have also seen:

1986 Black & Grey Convertible from the Shinoda Poster; 1
1986 Yellow Conv given to Rick Mears at Indy for winning pole position 2
1986 Dk Met Rose Conv L98 given away at 1993 Corvettes @ Carlisle; 3
1986 White L98 Coupe Lakeland Florida; 4
1987 Red Conv Oct 1993 Vette Mag Rev Buddy Merrick (Texas tags); 5
1987 Grey Coupe Houston Texas; 6
1988 Ruby Red L98 Coupe; 7
1990 Red Coupe from the Shinoda Poster; 8
1990 Quasar Blue Coupe (Maryland tags GEDE); 9
1990 Black ZR1 Coupe (Kentucky tags 905 HJW); 10
1991 Black Rose Convertible LT1 (Louisianna tags); 11
1991 Silver/tan interior ZR1 Coupe (Calif tag ZRFAST); 12
1991 Silver/tan interior ZR1 Coupe (Calif tag 2ZRG590); 13
1991 Multi-Prism color LT1 Coupe (Kentucky tags 758 FPR ); 14
1991 White LT1/LPE (VaVoom Texas tags); 15
1991 Burgundy/tan int ZR1 Coupe (tag UNIQZR1)@Petersen Museum; 16
1991 Burgundy LT1 Coupe (Florida tags Dave R); 17
1991 Red ZR1 Coupe Marboro Racing stripes owned by Rick Mears; 18
1991 Red ZR1 Coupe (Florida tags); 19
1991 Red LT1 Coupe (Florida tags G79 EGJ); 20
1996 Blue with white stripe Grand Sport Coupe (Florida tags); 21
This last one was featured in the Jan 2001 Vette magazine

and FOUR cars from the Advertising brouchure from J.Williams Cars, INC.
Burgundy ZR1 Coupe with a Black clear roof 22
Silver L98 Coupe, 23
White L98 Coupe, 24
Yellow Convertible (the one given to Rick Mears) 2

You can see many of these cars on my corvette pics & the web at:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/phot...cat/589/page/4

I can only account for 26 so far, how many were made/installed? Can anyone in the Forum own up to these cars or send me pictures of your Vette with this body kit for my growing picture book. I would like to have a Corvettes of Carlisle event one day featuring our unique car designed by the best body designer that ever lived...Larry Shinoda.
Thanks, and save the wave....
Chris

Last edited by corvette1990; 01-14-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Default Are these parts available aftermarket?

Does Eckler or anyone else sell these body pieces, I would love to get that rear bumper for my 1992.
Thanks
Jerris
Old 12-17-2005, 05:25 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Jerris:
No one sells this kit anymore. The last ones were sold by "The Last Detail" on Ebay almost two years ago. I tried calling TLD last year to get one and they told me were sold out, but own the Rights to the design now. They are not making any parts currently. I spoke to Dave at TLD during the Corvettes @ Carlisle August 2005, and he said they could make pieces, but do not see a market for them. Call TLD and ask them, see if they are interested yet or know of any not installed. I asked for spare parts and he said they only sold as complete kits. I too love the Tail section the best, even though it was Beeich to install. I only know of one other uninstalled kit, and he won't sell it from Texas. Though I have first dibs, if he is reading this. Before, Mr. Marsh sold me his (that was originally destined for his wifes car, to match his vette), I had planned on trying to create my own from a used rear bumper and balsa wood, aluminum, expanding foam and fiberglass cloth. Now glad I did not go that messy route, even though I am experienced with fiberglass work. Good luck on your quest.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Here is the one that was for sale at Mecum auction, Bloomington '05. If I recall it was a no sale in the low 20's but I saw one guy following the car out to the parking lot and looking for the owner. Did it sell?

Old 12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
rightofway
Team Owner

that is the only body kit i think looks good on a C4

it's a shame it isn't made anymore
Old 12-17-2005, 11:16 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor 06

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Here is the one that was for sale at Mecum auction, Bloomington '05. If I recall it was a no sale in the low 20's but I saw one guy following the car out to the parking lot and looking for the owner. Did it sell?

That is one of the cleanest and most complimenting body kits I have seen. Look at those lines, can't believe how clean
Old 12-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette1990
Jerris:
No one sells this kit anymore. The last ones were sold by "The Last Detail" on Ebay almost two years ago. I tried calling TLD last year to get one and they told me were sold out, but own the Rights to the design now. They are not making any parts currently. I spoke to Dave at TLD during the Corvettes @ Carlisle August 2005, and he said they could make pieces, but do not see a market for them. Call TLD and ask them, see if they are interested yet or know of any not installed. I asked for spare parts and he said they only sold as complete kits. I too love the Tail section the best, even though it was Beeich to install. I only know of one other uninstalled kit, and he won't sell it from Texas. Though I have first dibs, if he is reading this. Before, Mr. Marsh sold me his (that was originally destined for his wifes car, to match his vette), I had planned on trying to create my own from a used rear bumper and balsa wood, aluminum, expanding foam and fiberglass cloth. Now glad I did not go that messy route, even though I am experienced with fiberglass work. Good luck on your quest.
I think it would be a decent market if you could actually get them... But cause no one makes them, no one sells them, hence, no market due to being totally unavailable....
Old 12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I think the C4 should have been made with the kit to begin with.

The cleanest and best looking add-on I have ever seen.

Being designed by Larry Shinodo is the reason. Remember, it was Larry who came up with the original '63 design, wasn't it?

Someone should definitely look into making those parts again.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:09 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I have one on my 96 GS.

Robin
Old 12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

chris,
i just recently saw a shinoda kit on a mid 80's for sale here in houston through auto traders, i think. and, if i decide to sell it, you have first dibs on the kit...but the wifey wants it on the 89 since i gave her the car. and i think there is also one in australia, the guy was wanting the install directions booklet. later
Old 12-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
and i think there is also one in australia, the guy was wanting the install directions booklet. later
Could be, but not that i am aware of....
Old 12-18-2005, 10:27 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all the posters, some IM's, some google links, ZR-1 Registry.net and digital corvettes webpage - I have found 21 so far. Woohoo. Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Mate if i can find any pics on the possible one over here in Australia, ill pass em on for ya
Old 12-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Actually, i have a couple pics here of a ZR1 with that body...

Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Case: Thanks for adding those beautiful pictures of that ZR1 version, even though its not Down-Unda with a shrimp on the barbie. I wish I was smart enough to be able to put pics in my posts, but I am old and clumsy. I now have accounted for 22 versions of the kit. Does anyone know how many were made? or the company that made them?
Thanks again for your support.
Love and waves
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zrracer
I have one on my 96 GS.

Robin
Thanks Robin for sending the pictures of your Blue 96 Grand Sport!!! Someone else has an uninstalled kit in there garage. There seem to be quite a few in california, home of custom cars, and where the kit was manufactured (I think). Has anyone seen or have floor mats to this kit, one person mentioned seeing them in an advertisement. I am missing the badges for my car and was wondering if anyone had any or knew how to get ones made? Wishing everyone on the Forum and your families a Happy Holiday.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:38 AM
XtremeTuning
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette1990
Thanks Robin for sending the pictures of your Blue 96 Grand Sport!!! Someone else has an uninstalled kit in there garage. There seem to be quite a few in california, home of custom cars, and where the kit was manufactured (I think). Has anyone seen or have floor mats to this kit, one person mentioned seeing them in an advertisement. I am missing the badges for my car and was wondering if anyone had any or knew how to get ones made? Wishing everyone on the Forum and your families a Happy Holiday.
Here is where I got the info about the floor mats:

"The Rick Mears Special Edition came out of an interesting mix of talents. Mears, a three-time Indy 500 winner, was the front man, Corvette designer Larry Shinoda was the stylist, and Jim Williams was the businessman. While this certainly wasn't the first body kit for a Corvette, it was one of the cleanest.
Mears was at the top of his racing game by the early '90s. Rick won the Indy 500 in '79, '84, '88, and '91! He was the Indy 500 "Rookie of the Year" in '79, and racked up six Indy 500 pole positions. Mears retired from racing in 1992 with 29 CART wins and 40 pole positions.

Larry Shinoda is generally known as the designer of the 1963 Stingray. While this is correct, the actual Stingray shape was first drawn in 1957 by Pete Brock and Bob Veryzer as a concept study called the "Q-Corvette." Shinoda took the sketch and made it into a real car. Larry would go on the design the Corvair Monza show car, the Mako Shark, and the Boss 302 Mustang.

Jim Williams was the president and CEO of Golden State Foods, a food preparation company that services all of the McDonalds restaurants. In the late '80s, GSF was an associate sponsor of the Penske racing team.

Shinoda showed some sketches to Williams and Mears at the Long Beach CART race in 1989. Both men liked the design and agreed to go into business. Shinoda-Williams Design, Inc. was formed and started making kits in 1991.

Shinoda's design wasn't just another make-over kit. The front and rear spoilers, along with the sculpted side panels lowered drag coefficient from .34 to .30! As a throwback to his old Mako Shark days, Larry gave the side panels some "coke bottle" style. All of the parts were barrier crash tested and designed so the the stock Corvette tire jack could be used. Except for the front chin spoiler, the factory ramp angles were maintained.

The kit was made up of 11 pieces that would attach to any '84 to '91 coupe or roadster. The panels were made from primed, semi-rigid polyurethane material. Also included were front fog lights, black finished stainless steel exhaust tips, floor mats with the Mears logo, a "Shinoda Design" badge, a "Rick Mears Special Edition" badge, and fasteners. Assembly time was 25 hours. The kits were designed to use common garage tools, used stock mounting points, and required little drilling.

The cost of the kit was $5,200, plus $2,500 to $3,000 for installation. Paint was another extra. The total cost for entire kit project was around $10,000. That's why not many kits were sold. In the early '90s, all regular Corvettes were under the shadow of the ZR-1. Extra money usually went under the hood. Shinoda pitched the kit to Chevrolet as a 1992 RPO option. They passed."

Anyway, I have a complete uninstalled kit which includes everything except the floor mats. For some reason I dont think my exhaust tips are black either, but I could be wrong.

-JRW

Get notified of new replies

To Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please

Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Qoute "Anyway, I have a complete uninstalled kit which includes everything except the floor mats. For some reason I dont think my exhaust tips are black either, but I could be wrong."

I have the box of square Exhaust tips each wrapped in green paper. They are raw Aluminum colored, not even Chrome. I kept my stainless Borla's with chrome tips on. I have the orignal sales brouchure from 1992, in front of me and it does not mention the floor mats. I have seen the article you meniton. Maybe the original model that was given to Rick Mears had his floormats customized with his name on them. I am looking at the 8 pages of the parts list now that came with the kit and floor mats are not listed. There is a base kit for 1986-1990 then additional or different parts for the 1991 model as well as the 1984-85 model. This was printed on Feb 1 1993. The 70+ pages of instructions start with a date 0f 10-23-1990 and end with update pages of 12-7-1992. If anyone cares. I am not the expert, wish I could find someone who was there on the design team. This kit took alot of fabrication to install it. I had to buy extra Rivets, and had to modify how the front foglights mounted, because I had a 1990 model and the kit was for a 1991 version. Although I had an advantage of long arms, I wished they were skinnier when attaching the rear bumper, reaching through the gas tank area to tighten it up. i love my shinoda kit. Thanks for all the people who have sent me pics and info. Your the greatest.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Well the good news is that I have identified another Shinoda Vette. A 1983 Yellow Conv given to Rick Mears at Indy for winning the pole position supposedly. More likely it was given to him for the use of his name as a sponsor of the car by Rick Williams INC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEBI:IT

The ebay link is a picture of that car that is for sale.

If you ever see one at a car show or at a club meeting, please let me know year, color and state. Pics would be nice too. Many of you have been so helpful. I now have the pictures on my color XmaS ipod that plays my favorite music to my BOSE radio, and bypassing the CD player that has been repaired 4 times. Zoom Zoom......Happy New Year

Last edited by corvette1990; 12-27-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:14 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Good news is that I found a few more in my old Vette and Corvette Fever Magazines as well as surfing the web. See the latest listing at top. They say they were going to make 50 ZR1 models and call them Limited editions. I do not think they made that many. I have a few more leads to follow....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shinoda/Rick Mears Special Body kit OWNERS check in Please