C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 AM
clone477
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Speed transmission Rebuild

Hey guys this is a repost, I wasnt getting very many replies under the general section, try my luck here.
Just recently I noticed that my 2001 Z06 has been grinding when going into 4th gear only when cold, so it looks like a rebuild will be in the near future. My question is who has torn into one of these 6 speeds to replace all the syncros?? Anyone know of an online disassembly guide?? Or did anyone find a 6 speed service mannual on ebay?? Ive done my share of 4l60e and am a licenced auto tech, so Im not to worried about ripping into it, but wanted to know other peoples experiance. Thanks Guys
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

probably in service manual
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM
MrPDJ
Advanced

Try this thread over at LS2.com forums.

It's the best post w/pictures I've found for rebuilding the t-56. I ended up having mine rebuilt at MTI here in Houston.

Good luck with the re-build.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Good link. Here is the service manual: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf

This service manual also covers the F bodys, Cobras and Vipers so some of the parts are a little different then the C5 (namely the "extension housing".. you'll see what I mean if you get that far).

I have replaced my 3rd gear synchro assembly (3rd and 4th gear synchros were one assembly if I remember right). It wasnt particularly hard, just time consuming. I got the replacements from Rockland Standard Gear (rsgear.com).

Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine- when cold it would grind. Bleeding the clutch and changing the trans fluid did not help. It progressively got worse.
Fortunately/unfortunately my slave cylinder died, so while the trans was out, I rebuilt it, on jackstands none-theless. If you need help, ask or PM/email me.

While you're at it, change the clutch/flywheel/hydraulics and add a DTE brace.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:55 PM
CrazyChris
Racer

Thanks for the links!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 PM
clone477
Intermediate

Yeah thanks very much guys thats what I was looking for. Now is there a company that offers a complete rebuild kit??
Old 10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 AM
clone477
Intermediate

Whats the popcorn for?? Was I not supposed to ask were to find a complete rebuild kit??
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure if theres a total rebuild "kit", but I got my rebuild components from Rockland Standard Gear www.rsgear.com . I only used standard parts, not performance parts. I dont plan on making my car run 10s. But so far so good, almost been 1 year, no leaks, grinds, funny feel etc on my daily driven car, almost 15K miles thats seen snow, towing a trailer and the drag strip.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by clone477
Whats the popcorn for?? Was I not supposed to ask were to find a complete rebuild kit??
I want hear the answers you get because I want to know also. Possibly others have a diffrent idea as to the meaning of the popcorn pick, I see it as a method to watch a post I am intrested in. So I'm hanging around waiting to see what happens?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by Operations
I want hear the answers you get because I want to know also. Possibly others have a diffrent idea as to the meaning of the popcorn pick, I see it as a method to watch a post I am intrested in. So I'm hanging around waiting to see what happens?

Usually the popcorn means "this is gonna get good, I'm going to have some popcorn as this guy gets ripped on".
I may tear mine out this winter for a rebuild. Usually the only specialty tools you need for a tranny are good snap ring pliers, a dial indicator and a press. Hopefully thats all I need for this one.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:39 PM
DRR
Burning Brakes

I found the T-56 manual at Tremic.com, complete with exploded views.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 Speed transmission Rebuild

Quick Reply: 6 Speed transmission Rebuild