C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'62 Conversion on a C5

Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Bowtie67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '62 Conversion on a C5

I had the privledge to spend the weekend at Funfest in Effingham. While there, I looked at the prototype of a '62 conversion on a C5. The car is basically a totally reskinned C5 made to closely resemble a '62. It shares this concept of the '53 conversion that has been around a couple of years.
This '62 conversion just blew me away! The craftsmanship of this conversion was phenominal. Can anyone share their thoughts?
By the way, the Funfest was quite a show. Estimates of 12,000 plus cars! The Beach Boys put on a great show Saturday night.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
76rich
Instructor

I was there as well and the conversion fit the look of the car much better than the earlier model did. It was beautiful and quite a conversation piece. I don't think these conversions are really what the public wants in a new vehicle, but for a small niche this one seems to hit the nail on the head. It is hard to design a car today that really captures that classic look we are all searching for. I don't even know if it is possible. Of course, I might be a bit biased.
Richard
Old 09-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Bill J
Instructor

Got any photos or the name of the company?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Bowtie67
Intermediate

The name of the company is Classic Reflection Coachworks in Lakewood, Washington.
Their website is: www.crcoachworks.com I have some pictures if someone wants to post them form me. Send me a PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Looks like they did a great job. The only thing that really jumps out at you is the laid back windshield, other then that the car does look like a '62.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

To me, this is the best of both worlds. While I am an NCRS guy, I do NOT like the 97 and later cars. This way, you get a retro/classic look with some amazing mechanicals to back it up. Imagine, a 62 look with a great powerplant, six speed transmission, and 25+ mpg. All with the reliability and performance of this amazing engine.
Gary
Old 09-25-2005, 08:03 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I Saw Mpg U Caught My Eye. I have A 59 2x4 And Get 11 Mpg. Is This Normal? I Have Had The Carbs Adjusted Twice By Two Different Mechanics. Any Suggestions?
Geroge
PLEAS E MAIL REMETTER00@AOL.COM

Last edited by splidecision63; 09-25-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:25 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Their home page doesn't say much about prices or if you can buy the bolt on pieces and assemble it yourself. It also mentions your doner must be complete. They must keep the stock panels or why would they need them? When the c-5 convert exterior panels are removed it looks like a converted pick up. How would you title this... a 98 / 62 corvette or would you have to note the conversion on the title ?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:56 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Their home page doesn't say much about prices or if you can buy the bolt on pieces and assemble it yourself. It also mentions your doner must be complete. They must keep the stock panels or why would they need them? When the c-5 convert exterior panels are removed it looks like a converted pick up. How would you title this... a 98 / 62 corvette or would you have to note the conversion on the title ?
You don't have to re-title it - the C5 you send them is already titled and has a VIN; the conversion doesn't affect that. It's a turnkey package - they do the conversion and assembly - they don't sell the parts. They keep the stock panels they remove and sell them to body shops as collision replacements - priced GM replacement C5 body panels lately?
Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

John Z. You may run into a problem, at least in Wisconsin. If you have a replica of something it is noted on the title. Can you imagine a trooper running the plates of an appearing 62 vette and have it come back as a 2004 corvette? I don't believe those kits will be too popular. The resale value would certainly take a dive. Might be kinda amusing if you had both sets of panels and could return the car to stock.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:09 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

John Z. You may run into a problem, at least in Wisconsin. If you have a replica of something it is noted on the title. Can you imagine a trooper running the plates of an appearing 62 vette and have it come back as a 2004 corvette? I don't believe those kits will be too popular. The resale value would certainly take a dive. Might be kinda amusing if you had both sets of panels and could return the car to stock.
That's no more a replica of anything than a VW with a Rolls Royce kit installed. More like a Nissan with a ground effect kit than a replica. The aftermarket coach work should have no effect on the title of the vehicle.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

It's not a "replica" like a kit car made from an assemblage of donor parts, which is a different animal - it's just a conversion applied to an existing car that's already titled, not unlike the '53 Commemorative body conversion done to C5's by AAT, and doesn't affect the car's legal existence/description. It's not a "kit" - you give them your C5, and they do the VERY expensive conversion and return it to you finished.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:42 PM
im20agn
Intermediate

Default What it's all about

My company, Woodland Trade Co. Inc., did the tool design and mold work for this Modification. The company that's doing the Mod is located in Washington State. It is a first class operation. The design was done using 62 after market parts modified to fit the C5 when the look was right a division of the Boeing Company that does 3D point scanning came down to digitize the surface. They then put this point data into their CAD system (CATIA) and began designing the inner panels to fit the outer panels and the C5 frame. The molds are made from a type of laminate that withstands elevated temperature.

The laminate system that's used for the parts is the same system used on the McClarin cars it is a pre-impregnated fiberglass with an epoxy resin system the lay-up is vacuum bagged to the mold and the parts are cured in the mold at 230 degrees F for 4 hours. The parts are de-molded and the inner and outer skins are bonded together.

The company has about 60 orders that's approx. two years at about 38 cars per year. So if your thinking about ordering one better get on the list and start looking for a C5 donor car now

The paint used is Spies Hecker paint. If you get on their website, you can see a picture of Mine, it's the Teal blue with white coves, I know the coves weren't painted in 62 but I liked the look so what the heck.

The third car is scheduled for completion today so you will probably see pictures of all three cars within the next month on the website

www.crcoachworks.com
Old 09-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I've seen a picture of one, it does look good.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:03 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 62 Posts

im20agn, you did an incredible job on the design. I saw the red one at Puyallup last Feb. I was very impressed in that everything looked totally factory with no areas that looked to be home built or cobbled. My wife loved it too. Your blue one looks very classy!!
Congratulations on a job very well done.

Get notified of new replies

To '62 Conversion on a C5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '62 Conversion on a C5