Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Turtle Wax, is it any good?

Old 09-05-2005, 09:24 PM
L98Corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle Wax, is it any good?

Is the standard Turtle wax any good? I know its popular but how good is it?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:34 PM
gwayne
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10
Default Are you serious?

In a word, NO. It goes on thick, is hard to remove and stains the crap out of trim. The shine is mediocre at best considering the better products offered OTC by Meguiar's, Mother's, et al.
Of course, if that doesn't bother you........
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Turtle Wax hasn't been a popular product in the past decade or two. I hear decent things about the new Turtle Wax Platinum, but there are tons of really good OTC products and tons of outstanding boutique products.

What are you looking for out of a wax/sealant?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:50 PM
L98Corvette
Instructor

Hey guys, thanks for the replys. As far as what im looking for, i know Zaino is thought to be the best around here, but i just dont have the money for it. I have a red 91 coupe thats garage kept, not driven in the winter and isnt even a daily driver. I drive it around town as a pleasure vehicle. Im looking for something i can buy in a store that will give me a very good shine with some good protection. It seems i have been trying waxes and polishes forever or since i have been driving. Another couple of waxes i was wondering about, how do you guys rank Nufinish, Kit and blue coral waxes?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:43 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a local Harley Davidson store, you can pick up a jar of S100 carnauba wax for $15. It's very nice.

You should also be able to find some Mother's and Meguiar's products that are better than Turtle Wax, etc.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 AM
gwayne
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by L98Corvette
Hey guys, thanks for the replys. As far as what im looking for, i know Zaino is thought to be the best around here, but i just dont have the money for it. I have a red 91 coupe thats garage kept, not driven in the winter and isnt even a daily driver. I drive it around town as a pleasure vehicle. Im looking for something i can buy in a store that will give me a very good shine with some good protection. It seems i have been trying waxes and polishes forever or since i have been driving. Another couple of waxes i was wondering about, how do you guys rank Nufinish, Kit and blue coral waxes?
Meguiar's Deep Crystal carnauba is pretty cheap and has great shine. It goes on fairly light and comes off easily (in SHADE only!!). I used this for years on my wife's Prelude and the finish still looks very good for a 13 year-old car that spent a lot of time outside of a garage. You should be able to find it at most auto parts stores and possibly Wal-Mart. If you don't drive your Vette often, the protection should be good for at least 6 months since your car is rarely driven and garage kept. Regardless of the wax you buy, you really should clay the car prior to applying any wax. As ZaneO has (correctly) pointed out so many times, the proper prep is everything to the final results.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:39 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another couple of waxes i was wondering about, how do you guys rank Nufinish, Kit and blue coral waxes?
Nufinish, Kit, Blue Coral, BlackMagic can just be found everywhere in Drug stores, Department stores, and supermarkets. I won't touch those (except for Nufinish). Bottle of the barrell in my opinion.

I tried the new Turtle Wax Platinum and it was nothing special but acceptable. I liked their detailer spray. On sale at kragens for 4.99.

You should be able to pick up at your local auto store NXT, Eagle One or Mothers Reflections which is much better than the ones you listed.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Don't forget to Simonize it

Originally Posted by jabez
Nufinish, Kit, Blue Coral, BlackMagic can just be found everywhere in Drug stores, Department stores, and supermarkets. I won't touch those (except for Nufinish). Bottle of the barrell in my opinion.

I tried the new Turtle Wax Platinum and it was nothing special but acceptable. I liked their detailer spray. On sale at kragens for 4.99.

You should be able to pick up at your local auto store NXT, Eagle One or Mothers Reflections which is much better than the ones you listed.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Scott71
Advanced

Default Do you want the best???

I can't believe this. Nufinish, blue coral, etc....

These aren't even in the same class as Zaino. Zaino is by far the best and the expense is not bad at all. The very first application, if you plan on claybaring, is possibly the most expensive. But then again, this stuff lasts a long time especially if it is applied to a car that is not a daily driver. You should get easily a good 6 months from one application although I polish my vette a lot more frequently then that but that is how it works.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Zaino is really not expensive at all. I can do my car with less than 1/2 oz and it last forever (atleast twice as long as over the counter products) and the results are outstanding.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZaneO
If you have a local Harley Davidson store, you can pick up a jar of S100 carnauba wax for $15. It's very nice.

You should also be able to find some Mother's and Meguiar's products that are better than Turtle Wax, etc.
I agree!!! I think S100 looks better than Zanio just lacks durablity of Zanio but a garage kept car should last couple of months. Use the wipe on wipe off method of application and you will love it and only $15.00 will give you about 30 coats.

Get notified of new replies

To Turtle Wax, is it any good?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turtle Wax, is it any good?