C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel moves itself when I hit a bump.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:58 PM
81fastvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel moves itself when I hit a bump.

I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with the front end of my 81 with 192k on it. I think I have narrowed it down to possibly being the steering box. When I hit a speed bump with one tire doesn't matter which tire the steering wheel goes left to right. The harder I hit the bump the faster the steering wheel moves. The steering and handling feels funny when I hit a good dip in the road. The front end is tight and every thing is new within the last 4 years except for the steering box. Would like to get some input on this because I would hate to spend the money and time only to find out that well that wasn't it. Just replaced the idler arm to find out that that wasn't it.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Have you checked the a arm bushings? These could be contributing to the problem. With 194k miles, it may be time to look at rebuilding the whole front suspension.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:43 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think if the steering box were the problem that the wheels would move to one side or the other *WITHOUT* moving the steering wheel. I'd look elsewhere if your steering is tight. Bushings were a good suggestion.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Park the car on a flat surface, while your looking under it, have one of your kids or wife, turn the wheel (while car is off) left to right, then you can see what worn out down there.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your bushings are all "GOOD" then check your steering cylinder, seals may be going bad, or the dampening valves in the hydraulic actuator that the pump feeds. Anyway a cyl can be baught for under a hundred bucks and the parts stores in some areas carry them remanufactured.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this same problem but over a choppy surface. The wheel wiggles right and left.
Except for my manual steering box the front end is all new.

I just thought it was frame flexing? That shouldn't be the case on yours though so mine might not be either... hope hope hope.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
81fastvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front end is all fairly new also Except for the Steering Box which has 192k on it. The Steering wheel goes left to right regardless of which wheel hits a bump so it seems to me that it is in the steering system. Being as I just replaced the idler arm. That doesn't leave much else except for the box. I hate replacing things that don't need to be replaced. I was hoping to get a reply from someone who said they had the same problem and they had a fairly new front end and they replaced the box and that was the problem. I think I will try and adjust the lash on the steering box and see if that makes a difference. I can see the output shaft of the steering box move side to side a bit when laying under the car and rocking the shaft before the box. Doesn't anybody else have their steering wheel going side to side on speed bumps and bumpy roads?

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Wheel moves itself when I hit a bump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel moves itself when I hit a bump.