Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever fix a Carfax error???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever fix a Carfax error???

For giggles, I pulled a carfax on my car with my friend who had 30day unlimited usage. But I found an error on my report.

My insurance agency always mandates photo inspections, and the idiots must have entered the wrong mileage in when they checked my car in May. So now my carfax reads 10,500 miles even though the car only has 2,500. It's not an issue at this moment, but when I have my state reinspection done, it's going to show that there is possible mileage fraud (because the mileage will be entered correctly the next time). I'm going to contact my insurance company, but does anyone know if carfax fixes problems like this? I don't want the value of my car in the future being affected. Grrrrr.

-Mr.Z-06
Old 08-07-2005, 11:15 AM
White Six Speed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carfax won't fix anything. They say once something is reported it has to stay that way. I had a problem with a 93 wich was actual miles and Carfax showed it as not actual miles because the wrong box was once check when it was transfered.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Default That's BS...

I would think I have a good claim for a lawsuit against my insurance inspector or Carfax. To me, that's "slander" of a perfectly mint automobile. Because some moron reports the wrong mileage because he has fat fingers typing on his keyboard, I potentially have to pay the price? I don't think so.

-Mr.Z-06
Old 08-07-2005, 03:03 PM
diviniti
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Im sure if you get mad enough, anything can be done. Try contacting carfax and seeing what you can do. Maybe they can change it if they have a letter from your insurance inspector.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Mickbee
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr.Z-06
I would think I have a good claim for a lawsuit against my insurance inspector or Carfax. To me, that's "slander" of a perfectly mint automobile. Because some moron reports the wrong mileage because he has fat fingers typing on his keyboard, I potentially have to pay the price? I don't think so.

-Mr.Z-06

Not a big fan of CarFax... As I understand it, a lot of agencies will not work withthem because they report bogus/incorrect info.

Try contacting the insurance company and ensure they acknowledge they made a mistake in writing and have them rereport the info.

Keep the letter and so it to a future buyer IF it is not resolved to prove it is a carfax error.

Please keep us posted with your progress. I think this problem is more common than folks think...
Old 08-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Default Trust me, I'll be mad enough...

Originally Posted by diviniti
Im sure if you get mad enough, anything can be done. Try contacting carfax and seeing what you can do. Maybe they can change it if they have a letter from your insurance inspector.
There is no doubt that the next time the car is in, it's going to have less mileage. I don't expect 10,500 on this car for another 3 years. Carfax has no contact telephone #'s - go figure. Someone's gonna get an earful from me and/or my lawyer. Carfax has many positives - but I've heard some of these types of stories in the past - and it just doesn't seem right that they can make errors (or sell error-laden information) and get away with it. They definitely won't with me.

-Mr.Z-06
Old 08-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Default No doubt...

Originally Posted by Mickbee

I think this problem is more common than folks think...
You're definitely right there. I would have never known, except that my buddy bought a 30days unlimited use, so I plugged in my vin. It's like an error on your credit report - a total hornet's nest trying to get it resolved.

The least I will do is get the letter from the insurance company/inpection company. But it won't end there, trust me.

-Mr.Z-06
Old 08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Mickbee
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr.Z-06
There is no doubt that the next time the car is in, it's going to have less mileage. I don't expect 10,500 on this car for another 3 years. Carfax has no contact telephone #'s - go figure. Someone's gonna get an earful from me and/or my lawyer. Carfax has many positives - but I've heard some of these types of stories in the past - and it just doesn't seem right that they can make errors (or sell error-laden information) and get away with it. They definitely won't with me.

-Mr.Z-06
CarFax has an email address, if you haven't tried yet, ping them there...

Something else they do which is BS, if you move from one state to another, they classify the new title as a sale to a new owner. So the "One owner" car appears to have two. An shopper will trust carfax over you and ding the sellers word.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever fix a Carfax error???

Quick Reply: Anyone ever fix a Carfax error???