C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM
supervett77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic

Does anyone know where i can get one of these turbo intake manifold setups for my 77 corvette. Is it true they fit. I dont know much about these so any info is appreciated. Being 23 and young i really want to modernize this car a little bit. Turbos are huge in my gen, plus i love the blowoff valve. I want this car to beat the **** out of vipers, porsches and supra's. The setup consists of 350 fastburn crate motor. 4 speed richmond tranny, heat treated rear end. Fuel injection and manilfolds are needed, help with selecting a fuel injection system is also needed. F.A.S.T. or Holley Commander??? Not sure. Please help!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

The Martins are somewhat rare, probably ebay would be a good place to watch for one, I have seen them offered on there before.

Both the FAST and Commander 950 are excellent controllers, and the C950 now is offered with the wideband O2 sensor. Depending on the power lever your aiming for and the required injector size, you might want to see if you need low or high impedence injectors and how the aftermarket controllers handle the two.

You may want to look into blow-through carbs also. Happy hunting
Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supervett77
Does anyone know where i can get one of these turbo intake manifold setups for my 77 corvette. Is it true they fit. I dont know much about these so any info is appreciated. Being 23 and young i really want to modernize this car a little bit. Turbos are huge in my gen, plus i love the blowoff valve. I want this car to beat the **** out of vipers, porsches and supra's. The setup consists of 350 fastburn crate motor. 4 speed richmond tranny, heat treated rear end. Fuel injection and manilfolds are needed, help with selecting a fuel injection system is also needed. F.A.S.T. or Holley Commander??? Not sure. Please help!
Beat them where? In a straight line or around corners? On the street or the track?

GM Crate 572R will be way simpler 720 HP + a 250 shot of spray for those times when you need a thousand horespower... No fuss no muss and should be enough to make you dump another 10K in rearend parts...

Be advised you will not win every time and there will always be someone with more horsepower
Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

forget those 2 ancient turbo systems, draw through, no intercoolers, low boost levels...look elsewhere.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:45 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make your own turbo setup.

The fastburn has
Pistons: 10159436 High silicon aluminum with offset pins.

are those forged?

The connecting rods and Crankshaft are, but I wasn't sure about the pistons.

9.6:1 compression ratio

Last edited by flood; 07-26-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:29 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
forget those 2 ancient turbo systems, draw through, no intercoolers, low boost levels...look elsewhere.
What you need is:
http://whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1171
Old 07-26-2005, 07:11 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

And if for some reason you don't want a hole in your hood, look into centrifugal superchargers. Progressive boost from idle up and no exhaust complications like turbos. Turbos have their benefits too of course. FI tech has come a long way, don't buy old stuff.

I too am interested to know which aftermarket EFI systems handle forced injection well?

-Chris

Last edited by LiveandLetDrive; 07-26-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just make your own.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
And if for some reason you don't want a hole in your hood, look into centrifugal superchargers. Progressive boost from idle up and no exhaust complications like turbos. Turbos have their benefits too of course. FI tech has come a long way, don't buy old turbos.

I too am interested to know which aftermarket EFI systems handle forced injection well?

-Chris
The holley commander is only good for 14.7 psi, or at least their stealthram is. It is also a batch fire. the Accel FAST is a sequential fire, but is much more expensive.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:41 PM
supervett77
Instructor

yeah a centrifigal would be nice it it didn't have to have this much work and a modified frame just to fit it under the hood take a look http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=8
No roots blowers because i like a stealthy look. Meaning no holes in my hood. Also nitrous is cool on top of a big block but how many turbocharged 77 corvettes do you see. Not to many. Plus turbos in my belief are the most efficient plus i love the blow off valve. For people to hear that coming out of a fuel injected 77 corvete would blow peoples minds. I dont plan to beat everyone I just find it fun to be competitve once in a while. Give that stock 05 viper a run for his money. Thats fun to me. The fastburn crate motor is temporary til i forge and blue print everything i guess i should have been more specific. depending upon weather i can afford it right away if not ill run low boost.. til i can. It will hurt nothing. with a built motor im looking for somewhere around 600 or so 650 max. Nothing crazy to some but crazy to me for the street. and maybe an autocross event. My car is not set up for drag. VBP suspension. Stage 3 diff and 17inch rims around. So i how can i get a single turbo in my car??? Could i make my exhaust a y pipe after the headers and install a turbo there. Or should i try something like what they are doing on the camaros and run it out by the back bumper. Im all ears.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:43 PM
supervett77
Instructor

I do want to make my own i was just wondering if i could take some of the guesswork out of it. So i will need a welder and......???? Is there such thing as a cheap pipe bender??? I dont know???Im very serious about this...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:38 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You'd probably be better off making turns out of welded sections of angle-cut pipe. Or just welding in mandrel-bends that you can buy seperately. Bending exhaust-type pipe is either crushed (bad) or mandrel bent (not going to get a mandrel bender cheap!

As that website mentions it shouldn't be that hard to modify that section of the frame. Just cut out the top and weld in a flat section or whatever they did. Other than that one modification turbo$ would be much more complex to in$tall.

-Chris... speaking from no experience, just common sense.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The solution is LPE. If they can't help you, nobody can!

Rick
Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...886&forum_id=3

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...199&forum_id=3
Old 07-26-2005, 11:02 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build a bullet-proof 355, bolt on an inter-cooled ATI-ProCharger Model F-1 running 22 lbs. boost, approx 900 rwhp...lol
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 AM
my72vette454
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built my twin turbo system over last winter and used lots of u bends from summit racing to plumb it all in. My motor was tired and by the time I got everything working good the engine had lots of blowby so I am in the middle of building a new motor with eagle 4340 crank and rods with je forged pistons. I am using a 750 holley carb that I modified so I can blow through it and it works good, have had 15 lbs of boost through it so far and it works great. Blowers are definately easier to install but I am one of those wacko guys that always has to take the road less traveled, and yeah the blowoff valve does sound pretty cool.

Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
The holley commander is only good for 14.7 psi, or at least their stealthram is. It is also a batch fire. the Accel FAST is a sequential fire, but is much more expensive.
The Holley Commander system is compatible with map sensors up to 3 bar (3 atmospheres X 14.7 psi). The stealthram is not a supercharged system, so it only needs 1 bar...

Get notified of new replies

To Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic

Old 07-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Well there ya go then.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Hey, anybody remember Monty and his twin turbo 427 small block. 1200hp/1000 ft-lbs on 93 octane. One of the ultimate sleepers.

This:

In this:

Here is a link to his sight:
http://www.montygwilliams.com
Old 07-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll sell you my twin turbo setup for a measly 8000$

Quick Reply: Martin Turbo setup, or accel turbosonic