C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 Headlight Problems

Old 07-04-2005, 10:37 AM
buller1
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Headlight Problems

Hi: I know this is probably old hash for some of you, but I could use a bit of advice on the headlights on my 88 Anniversary. The headlights turn on and then start to turn over slowly and then stop and fall back. They are not turning enought to lock in place.

My question is, is this a relay related problem, a motor gear problem or a bushing problem. I do not want to guess, could someone shed some lite on a test or whatever that I can determine which parts are at fault. Thank you for your time and help and have a great 4th

Tony

Old 07-04-2005, 10:44 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

This might shed some light
http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Headlight%20Doors.pdf
Old 07-04-2005, 12:10 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Good ref. on the electricals.

I think the problem is likely with the three nylon bushings in each motor's gear case. Try to open each headlight door using the manual **** on top of the motor. If it feels "mushy", replace the bushings with new sets from MAM.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:32 PM
rufneck
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I just replaced the bushings in my 95 Friday. Difference is like Night/Day. Did both in one afternoon. Cheap and quick.. Ditto on MAM that's where I got mine from.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:00 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I replaced mine with Home Depot bushings. (item no. 859609)

Cheaper tham MAM, plus no wait for shipping. Click the link here for installation insructions.

http://corvettefever.com/howto/33098/
Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Erniemoreira
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Good ref. on the electricals.

I think the problem is likely with the three nylon bushings in each motor's gear case. Try to open each headlight door using the manual **** on top of the motor. If it feels "mushy", replace the bushings with new sets from MAM.
I just purchased my first c4 a 1988 with 49.000ml on it and I am having the same issues with my head lights. I guess I'll start with the bushings?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are sure the problem is NOT electrical...yes, bushings.

You realize this thread is 7-8 yrs old, right? 2005? Still good info here but I wouldn;t sit by the PC waiting for the OP to respond. ... !
Old 03-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Do it all

if you are going to change the bushings, change to gear while you are at it. Do it right the first time. Mid America has the motor gear to replace the plastic one that will eventually wear out. Open the motor case once. Good luck
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Invalid bushing part number

....Sooner or later this was bound to happen.....ok, so it looks like i may need the bushings as sometimes (just happened first time yesterday) the lights will: A) pop up but, not retract or, B) not retract all the way or, C) go go down but not fully pop up...

...suspect that possible disintegrated material has gotten between the worm gear and circular gear causing problems...

...looked at bushing number posted in this thread and called local home depot and the number does not come up in their computers...

...does anyone have a "more valid number" or a cross reference number for bushing at LOWES?......Thanks again!

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 02-09-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
....Sooner or later this was bound to happen.....ok, so it looks like i may need the bushings as sometimes (just happened first time yesterday) the lights will: A) pop up but, not retract or, B) not retract all the way or, C) go go down but not fully pop up...

...suspect that possible disintegrated material has gotten between the worm gear and circular gear causing problems...

...looked at bushing number posted in this thread and called local home depot and the number does not come up in their computers...

...does anyone have a "more valid number" or a cross reference number for bushing at LOWES?......Thanks again!

......Anyone?

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 Headlight Problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 Headlight Problems