C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions

Old 06-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions

First, let me say that this is not for the faint of heart and I accept no responsibility for your installation. If you make a mistake, you’ll toast a Nav radio. That being said, if you choose to continue, here is what I did to add an AUX input to my Nav radio:

Step 1: Order the PAC AAI-GM24 harness from Logjam electronics or similar vendor.

Step 2: Have the harness drop shipped to forum member TeamSpeed for certain modifications. Although this step is not required, trust me folks, it will make your life so much easier.

Step 3: To install the module, you have to be able to get to the radio head unit. Part of the center console will need to be removed. First to go is the center console lid. Let’s start with the 4 Torx screws in the console lid as shown below.

Step 4: Next, pry up on the rear of the trim plate holding the air bag warning light. It just snaps on to the console but it is plastic so be careful. Unplug the connector and set the trim plate aside.

Step 5: Remove the 2 bolts that were under the trim plate as shown here:

Step 6: Pull straight up on the emergency brake boot. This boot is held in place by 4 clip fasteners, but it will come loose with a little effort.

Step 7: Once the e-brake boot has been lifted, remove the two bolts from the console under the e-brake boot located here:

Step 8: For an automatic transmission car, the shifter needs to be put into Drive to remove the silver center console piece. Slowly start to lift the rear portion of the silver trim. I say slowly because in my case, there are 6 electrical connections that need to be unplugged. Start with the 12 volt power port in the console, next the active handling switch. Moving forward, the left heated seat switch, then the cigarette lighter, then the right heated seat switch. Last, unplug the hazard switch in the center of the air vents. The silver trim should now raise up and can be removed.

Step 9: Remove the 2 bolts on either side of the climate control. Pull forward and just let it rest on the console. The climate control has 2 tabs that fit into the radio frame so it has to be moved out of the way.

Step 10: Remove the 4 bolts on either side of the Nav unit. Place the palm of your hand under the Nav unit and lift slightly while pulling forward. You want to be very careful that nothing is going to scratch the Nav face while you have it out on the console.

Step 11: This is what the back of your Nav unit looks like. Note the Gray/Black plug on the right. That is the one we are going to replace. Press on the lock and just pull it out:

Step 12: If you have the TeamSpeed modifications, go to Step 13. If you didn’t have TeamSpeed modify your AAI-GM24 harness, locate the purple wire from the GM 24 module that is spliced into the “pass-through” part of the T-harness. Cut this purple wire off of the splice, making sure that you do not cut the portion that passes from one plug to another. The purple wire should now be similar to the yellow wire coming out of the GM24 module. Plug the GM 24 harness into the Nav unit and the other end connects to the gray/black plug you removed in Step 11.

Step 13: Make the following connections from the AAI-GM24 module to the 24 pin plug still in the back of your Nav unit. It was easier for me to remove the 24 pin plug, make all the connections by pressing the connectors into the back of the 24 pin plug (Thanks TeamSpeed!) and use a wire tie to hold everything in place. If you don’t have the TeamSpeed modifications, you’ll have to make your own splices:

Step 14: Before you put the Nav radio back in the dash, use a small screwdriver to turn the input levels on the GM24 all the way clockwise. Also tape up any exposed wires that are coming out of the GM24 module.

Step 15: Carefully slide the Nav unit back and install the 4 bolts to hold it in place.

Step 16: Plug the RCA cable from your mp3 player in to the Yellow banded RCA plugs on the GM24 harness. The RCA plugs are labeled incorrectly for the Nav unit so the Red RCA plug from your mp3 player goes to the Black labeled RCA plug on the GM 24 and vice versa. I also used a piece of electrical tape at these connections to keep them from pulling apart.

Step 17: The GM24 module fits perfectly under the Nav radio and to the right of the climate control..you’ll notice a pocket to the right of the Yaw control there.

Step 18: Route your Aux input cable under the climate control and replace the 2 bolts on the climate control as shown here:

Step 19: You’ll need to drill a hole somewhere in your console for the Aux cable to exit. I chose the inside of the console, opposite the power port. It’s your car, so you decide what works best for you. Either way, don’t forget a grommet to protect your cable. Here’s mine:

Step 20: Re-connect all the electrical connections, replace the console trim and bolts, replace the console lid.

Step 21: When you power up your radio, you’ll notice the standard AM, FM1, FM2, and CD buttons have been replaced with: AM, FM1/2, XM1/2, and CD/CDX. Like this:

Step 22: Start your mp3 player, press the CD/CDX button (twice if you have a CD in the Nav unit) and you’ll see this screen:

Step 23: Enjoy your new Aux input!

Last edited by Blazer; 06-24-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

WoW ! Nice !
Could I just drop ship my car to you?
Looks like I have something to do next week. Thanx for the info
Old 06-24-2005, 12:35 PM
03-red-z06
Advanced

Blazer, thanks for the writeup...Couple of questions, what does Teamspeed charge to modify the harness? What does he do to it?

And the according to logjams website the part # you listed is for Corvette's W/O NAV?? Are you sure PAC AAI-GM24 is the correct part?

Thanks....
Old 06-24-2005, 12:41 PM
03-red-z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03-red-z06
Blazer, thanks for the writeup...Couple of questions, what does Teamspeed charge to modify the harness? What does he do to it?

And the according to logjams website the part # you listed is for Corvette's W/O NAV?? Are you sure PAC AAI-GM24 is the correct part?

Thanks....

Blazer, nevermind...just read the other post on this subject and found the answers there.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Sparky65
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete,

A great big THANK YOU
Old 06-24-2005, 01:57 PM
LMBlewVett
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Awsome post Blazer....Thanks for all your work. One question, The three wires from the GM24 module that get 'spliced' into the OEM connector, do you disconnect the OEM wires and replace with the GM24 wires or are they just "tapped" into the existing OEM wire without removing it??? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:59 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

If any one wants me to do the wire mods for you, here is one possible scenario:

1) Order your PAC unit and give the vendor my address for the shipping address, fire off an email to let me know how to match up your order to you directly, and give me your address.

OR

2) Email me w/ a request and your address, and I will give you my address to mail your PAC unit to.

then

3) Send paypal payment of $12 to
I will do the following for you:

1) Cut the purple wire off the splice, cap off the cut end
2) Add 3 quick connectors to the 3 wires (purple, black, yellow)
3) Relabel the 4 rca connectors so you know the proper right/left configuration
4) Send a copy of Blazer's writeup w/the altered PAC unit via USPS priority mail back to you

I know it does not seem like much for $12, but what my mods allow you to do is if you ever have problems with your NAV, you can quickly detach the PAC unit without worrying about wire splices, etc.

Of course you could do the same kind of mods by purchasing spade connectors at Radio Shack and doing the alterations yourself or using wire splices, but some people like the simplicity of having someone else mess with this for them.

If there is any amount of interest in this, I will amend my Radar Cord site with this detail to consolidate this info into one place.

Last edited by TeamSpeed; 03-23-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

If you get the harness modified from TeamSpeed, he'll put some connectors on it so that you can just push the three wires from the GM24 right into the back of the OEM plug. If you choose to do this yourself, you need to either get some ScotchLocks or cut and splice the connections yourself. No matter which way you choose, the OEM wires need to stay intact...the three new wires are just "added-on".

Originally Posted by LMBlewVett
Awsome post Blazer....Thanks for all your work. One question, The three wires from the GM24 module that get 'spliced' into the OEM connector, do you disconnect the OEM wires and replace with the GM24 wires or are they just "tapped" into the existing OEM wire without removing it??? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Blazer; 06-24-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:39 PM
LMBlewVett
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Blazer. You da' Man.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 03-red-z06

Thanks....
03-red-z06 - you are absolutely correct. The PAC AAI-GM24 states specifically that it will not work with the Nav. I can attest that is indeed correct. However, once this harness is modified as I outlined in my post it does work...very well I might add. I had been working with Joe Riggs at PAC Audio for two weeks and after getting pin-outs of radios, different wire combinations, etc., together, we developed a work-around that will indeed work with the Nav. I am pretty sure PAC is going to offer an additional harness for the Nav, but if you buy the existing harness, make some mods to it, you won't have to wait for PAC to produce this "new" harness.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:06 PM
3car5
Racer

Great writeup! Thanks for finally solving this ongoing issue for those of us that love our MP3 players.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:56 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed in another thread that the 12-disc remote changer is now available from GM. It appears that the cable in this thread makes use of the external/remote changer input on the Nav unit for the aux input since the CD line now says CD/CDX. If this is the case, setting it up this way may preclude adding the remote changer later and still using this cable for the ipod. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

John
Old 06-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Blazer for this write up!

I do have to mention that my installer looked at this setup and had a concern.

Please see the attached link from PAC.

http://www.pac-audio.com/bulletins/os2.htm

If you take this to the dealer and they perform updates to your BCM or PCM, you could render your modules inoperative.

Just a heads-up.

Patrick
Old 06-24-2005, 07:57 PM
TeamSpeed
Pro

I have placed all the directions by Blazer into a doc that you can download and use at your leisure. Hope this helps!

http://mysite.verizon.net/ccm.gerber/aaigm24.doc
Old 06-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
Thank you Blazer for this write up!

I do have to mention that my installer looked at this setup and had a concern.

Please see the attached link from PAC.

http://www.pac-audio.com/bulletins/os2.htm

If you take this to the dealer and they perform updates to your BCM or PCM, you could render your modules inoperative.

Just a heads-up.

Patrick
Patrick,

I am aware of the warning. The version I installed in my car is version 1.2.9 so clearly it is a newer version than the 1.1.5 they warn about reprogramming. Either way, just to be more safe than sorry, if the day ever came where this car saw the inside of a dealership service bay, I'd go ahead and pull the fuse anyway.

I tested it out on a 50 mile road trip today and it worked great. But by all means, if this mod gives you concern, just don't do it.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jwswanson
I noticed in another thread that the 12-disc remote changer is now available from GM. It appears that the cable in this thread makes use of the external/remote changer input on the Nav unit for the aux input since the CD line now says CD/CDX. If this is the case, setting it up this way may preclude adding the remote changer later and still using this cable for the ipod. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks.

John
I don't have either XM or a cd changer in my car. I can get the aux input to come on by pressing either the XM button OR the CDX button so I believe they do come through the same 12 pin port. But just to make everyone happy, if someone wants to UPS me an XM module AND a new CD changer, I'll be happy to install it in my car and let you know the results
Old 06-25-2005, 08:33 AM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions

Old 06-27-2005, 07:41 AM
TeamSpeed
Pro

Now if there was a way to tap a C5 without having to buy a COR HAR cable, and just plug the aux. input GM10 AUX right into the two plugs under the passenger panel... Wanna help with that, Blazer? I've got the car, and you have the tech. contacts!
Old 06-27-2005, 08:02 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Outstanding
Old 06-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Blazer
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Blazer
Patrick,

I am aware of the warning. The version I installed in my car is version 1.2.9 so clearly it is a newer version than the 1.1.5 they warn about reprogramming. Either way, just to be more safe than sorry, if the day ever came where this car saw the inside of a dealership service bay, I'd go ahead and pull the fuse anyway.

I tested it out on a 50 mile road trip today and it worked great. But by all means, if this mod gives you concern, just don't do it.
Patrick,

I forwarded your concern to Joe Riggs at PAC Audio and here is his response to the BCM/PCM flashing issues. I believe all is well.

Pete,

There are no issues when flashing the PCM/BCM with the AAI-GM24 installed, yes, there were some issues with the older versions but we have fixed the issue. It’s good to hear things are still working great for you. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me whenever.

Thank you,

Joe Riggs

Tech Support

Pacific Accessory Corp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Step by Step Aux Input Added to Nav Instructions