Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control and ABS lights came on today, what's wrong?

Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
doubledeuce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control and ABS lights came on today, what's wrong?

As I was driving today, my traction control light came on, and also the ABS light. The message on the gauge said Service ABS, and Service Traction Sys. I was unable to turn my traction control on afterwards. The lights would disappear when I start my car on again, but it would come on in a few minutes. What exactly is the problem, does anyone had this happen before?

Last edited by doubledeuce; 05-11-2005 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
PYRO1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Has the Vette been sitting for a while? Mine did it after sitting two weeks.... drove it for a while and it quit.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM
doubledeuce
Instructor

Originally Posted by pyro5o
Has the Vette been sitting for a while? Mine did it after sitting two weeks.... drove it for a while and it quit.
No, I drive it everyday.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:34 PM
JadeDragon
Pro

Originally Posted by doubledeuce
As I was driving today, my traction control light came on, and also the ABS light. The message on the gauge said Service ABS, and Service Traction Sys. What exactly is the problem, does anyone had this happen before?
Same exact thing happened to me this morning on my drive to work.

Had my car for three weeks...Im hoping it will "work itself out" on the drive home.

Im glad you asked this question...Im all ears too. Thanks!

~~~JadeDragon
Old 05-10-2005, 07:52 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

You know the two systems use the same sensors. If a sensor was bad you'd get that kind of read-out. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:10 PM
mau
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...s&forum_id=103

Maybe this will help.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 PM
MDriveMode
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Well, this is what happened to me. While driving my car, the dic displayed "Service traction control" , "Service ABS" , "Service active handling". I took it in to the dealer and... $2600.00 later it was fixed They had to replace the electronic brake control module and the brake pressure modulator valve. Luckily, everything was covered by GM. Don't mean to scare you, but this is probably the worst it could be. Good Luck!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 PM
flyfisher
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me...covered under the extended warranty.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 AM
doubledeuce
Instructor

My car was tuned by LS1 edit 2 weeks ago, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 AM
doubledeuce
Instructor

Originally Posted by CCMC5
Well, this is what happened to me. While driving my car, the dic displayed "Service traction control" , "Service ABS" , "Service active handling". I took it in to the dealer and... $2600.00 later it was fixed They had to replace the electronic brake control module and the brake pressure modulator valve. Luckily, everything was covered by GM. Don't mean to scare you, but this is probably the worst it could be. Good Luck!!!
Hopefully I don't have to pay $2600 to fix it. What about cleaning your ground points, I heard that could fix it.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:12 AM
JadeDragon
Pro

Just drove home from work and am very relieved to see that the "Service ABS" and "Service Traction Control" lights didnt come on this time (they came on this morning as I posted above). I wonder what made them go on in the first place? Actual probs with those features, or faulty sensors?

While I am relieved, I am left wondering if this is going to be a common occurance with the DIC.

DoubleDeuce, I hope yours fixes itself too. If not I hope its an easy and cheap fix since Im probably due for it at some point down the road as well.

Still get a thrill every time I see my car though. Dang what a beauty!

Good luck!~~~JadeDragon
Old 05-11-2005, 05:59 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

This also happened to me once recently. I just shut it down and restarted with no more lights/warnings. My "service ABS/Traction control" also came on once after hitting a pretty nasty mid-corner bump which caused the car to "hop" to the side. That also went away after a restart. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Same thing just happened to me. I had a short in the EBTC module. They installed P/N 10343433

Tom
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Are you still running your AC Delco battery? Check that first for leaks.

Second, check your ground points.

Lastly, as mentioned above, have the ABS sensor checked. I'm going to take my car in for the same exact thing next week. I have a friend that had the same thing in his 4 month old Z06, and it ended up being a faulty ABS senor on the steering column.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:14 AM
SGT. PYLE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exact samp deal!!! It was the EBCM and the BPMV. $2981.53 total all covered under warranty.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:36 PM
doubledeuce
Instructor

More problem. I reset my battery last night, now my remote key doesn't work.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:20 PM
doubledeuce
Instructor

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To Traction control and ABS lights came on today, what's wrong?

Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Max01GreenMachine
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C6 of the Year Finalist
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Same thing happened to me. It was intermittant, maybe every 20th start or so. So I was frustrated with it, I check grounds to no avail. Then one day coming home from the beach I really got on it, (note: the warnings were NOT on), I broke the tires loose through a couple gears. Well that did it. The EBTCM was toast, so now the dic displayed "Service traction control" , "Service ABS" , "Service active handling" everytime i started her up. So I got the EBTCM replaced and everything has been fine.

Later,
Max
Old 05-11-2005, 08:48 PM
AJLEVI
Advanced

Default ecmu

ecmu mine is in the shop with the same problem right now . thank goodness for gmpp i think it would have been 2 grand
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

My car throws that code/light almost every time I drive it. We've tried just about everything to remedy the problem, but nothing works. It started when I switched to powder coated calipers and stainless steel brake lines a couple of years ago. I wouldn't know how to react if I could take my car out without throwing some kind of warning light. I have a standing joke with the guy who works on my car that I get more warning lights on my Vette in one day than I did in 2 years on my Cobra.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction control and ABS lights came on today, what's wrong?