Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Which Corvette club to join in metro Detroit area?

Old 05-08-2005, 02:28 AM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Default Which Corvette club to join in metro Detroit area?

Corvette Club of Michigan from Les Stanford, or Corvette of America from Cauley in West Bloomfield?
Does anybody have any comments? I am really close to Cauley, but think Stanford has the better events and get-togethers.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Old 05-08-2005, 09:29 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really just depends what you want out of a club.

Are you a racer or an older guy that likes to take cruises to the DQ for a single scoop after Zainoing the car?

Mark
Old 05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mdhmi

Are you a racer or an older guy that likes to take cruises to the DQ for a single scoop after Zainoing the car?

Mark
OUCH! Mark...if you weren't so accurate, I'd be laughing alot less than what I am now.

Les Stanford's Corvette Club really focuses on auto crossing....and no cruising...lots of retired over 50's guys with no hair, grossly out of shape and big bellies....not sure of the caliber of the Cauley's group though..not my end of town.

I was a member of Les Stanford group for two years at $65 a pop per year and got very little out of my membership... just was not my cup of tea...I ended up doing stuff on my own that I liked and had things in common with that you can find on this forum for free...you know, the DQ/Zaino thing is right up my alley
The following users liked this post:
samauriwarrior (04-26-2021)
Old 05-08-2005, 06:59 PM
BIGBYRD1993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XI, XII Veteran
NCM Lifetime Member & Ambassador

It doesn't make a big difference, as you can join either Club and as an NCCC member partake in events with any other Club...
Old 05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
hokievette03
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Motor City Vettes is a loose affiliation of Detroit Vette owners, we get together for weekly cruise in's, go to car shows, go to the dragstip and road course from time to time, lots of BBQ's, just generally a good time with no dues and no funny little cards.....
Old 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Hey hey there now . . . I'm a member of CCM! I don't think I'm bald or grossly out of shape!

CCM (Corvette Club of MI) from what I understand, usually schedules lots of driving/performance events, and Americas Corvette Club is more social. As stated I'm a member of CCM, but have yet to attend a meeting. I have not had much motivation, gotta work on that and hopefully attend a few meetings this summer. I do enjoy 'working' at events and helping out during events, so I guess I should get busy and start to participate. Then there is the Motor City Vettes, that Hokie spoke about, and it's a big mix of both, driving and social stuff, and a mix of all ages of people, very very FUN. There is something for everyone and everyones interests. Enough to keep you busy all summer long.

Originally Posted by luvmy82

Les Stanford's Corvette Club really focuses on auto crossing....and no cruising...lots of retired over 50's guys with no hair, grossly out of shape and big bellies....
Old 05-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

We have discussed in length in the recent past the composition and ideology of the above mentioned "Motor City Vettes." We have not a charter, goals or defined philosophy. Membership is based on proof that you can exchange O2 and CO2 with the atmosphere. We have waived this requirement from time to time. Some of us are young and energetic while others rely on hard liquor to preserve the few functioning neurons they have left. But we have one thing in common: a passion to have, own and drive the world's most outstanding car, the corvette!!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:45 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I've been a member of CCM and I admit there are quite a few older members, but they are people who know vettes. They don't talk alot about how to apply zaino. They sponsor excellent performace events and if you want to know how to drive a vette this is a club you need to join.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:19 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Mark
I'm 62 and I don't Zaino or do DQ. I do like to drag race and hit the track at least 4 times a year. Let's not sterotype people. You are as young as you feel. I know plenty of guys over 50 who are still into "performance cars" and a lot of them still do their own work.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:08 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 183 Likes on 89 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by yankeevetteconvert
I'm 62 and I don't Zaino or do DQ. I do like to drag race and hit the track at least 4 times a year. Let's not sterotype people. You are as young as you feel. I know plenty of guys over 50 who are still into "performance cars" and a lot of them still do their own work.
How come you didnt sign up for our Milan event?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by y2k02c5
Convertible in the mid 12's - no roll bar. Bad-azz 2002 with headers, Yank SS3600, Titanium pipes, 3.73's with what we older guys treasure the most, hardened shaft.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vetzilla got in several runs so I'm sure you would have been fine.

I'm not picking on individual 'older' people or even those who enjoy cruising more than racing. I'm more pointing out the shallowness of most of the 'clubs'.

I can't recall dealing with anyone from the 'club' that didn't give me an attitude. Maybe my personality doesn't mesh with those guys, can't say.

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by y2k02c5
You stated in your post that the rules would be strickly enforced. I have a vert. that runs low to mid 12's and no rollbar. I usualy can run on test&tune days so I went to Ubly and ran.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Vetzilla got in several runs so I'm sure you would have been fine.

I'm not picking on individual 'older' people or even those who enjoy cruising more than racing. I'm more pointing out the shallowness of most of the 'clubs'.

I can't recall dealing with anyone from the 'club' that didn't give me an attitude. Maybe my personality doesn't mesh with those guys, can't say.

Mark
Mark,
We struggle these days with bland language that must be sensitive to the feelings of all and thus it becomes sterile. I think that most organizations that are successful enter into this "sterile" phase and hopefully they come through it. Hopefully our "UN-orginization" will never enter this phase. Just make a list of our "members" and you will see the only common threads are good hearts and people who are secure in who they are.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Sneaky Fast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irish Whiskey
Mark,
We struggle these days with bland language that must be sensitive to the feelings of all and thus it becomes sterile. I think that most organizations that are successful enter into this "sterile" phase and hopefully they come through it. Hopefully our "UN-orginization" will never enter this phase. Just make a list of our "members" and you will see the only common threads are good hearts and people who are secure in who they are.

Dennis
WOW DENNIS you are as usual the master of words!! I love the "Motor City Vettes" because of the people!!! When we get together it is a no hassle all around good time!!! Well no hassle except for Zack and Paul bugging me about drag racing!!

Yankee if your vette is running in the 12's I am pretty sure you wouldn't have a problem on the day that we all rent it out! I ran low 13's & they didn't even blink, I know the one guy(i am sorry i forgot his name) with twin turbos got booted last year but he hit in the 11's if I remember correctly, BUT I COULD BE WRONG SO LAY OFF that was MANY beers ago!!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sneaky Fast
WOW DENNIS you are as usual the master of words!! I love the "Motor City Vettes" because of the people!!! When we get together it is a no hassle all around good time!!! Well no hassle except for Zack and Paul bugging me about drag racing!!

Yankee if your vette is running in the 12's I am pretty sure you wouldn't have a problem on the day that we all rent it out! I ran low 13's & they didn't even blink, I know the one guy(i am sorry i forgot his name) with twin turbos got booted last year but he hit in the 11's if I remember correctly, BUT I COULD BE WRONG SO LAY OFF that was MANY beers ago!!
Yankeevetteconvert's problem is that he too will be thrown off!! His car is a convert. without a roll bar or cage - I've driven this car and it rocks!! Normal street C5 but get on it and things happen FAST!!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Crystal 08
Instructor

Well, there is one way to find out if a club or group is right for you...go to the meetings and events. Don't join right away. See how it feels.
Check their websites and see what they are doing that appeals to you.

I belong to the Forum, CCM and ACC.

3 groups, a choice of lots of things to do

But most of all, get out and drive that Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To Which Corvette club to join in metro Detroit area?

Old 05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
HDIronman
Pro

Originally Posted by yankeevetteconvert
You stated in your post that the rules would be strickly enforced. I have a vert. that runs low to mid 12's and no rollbar. I usualy can run on test&tune days so I went to Ubly and ran.
I have a 69 vert and was told not to run faster than 11.50.

You would have been okay...!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Don't join our club and don't belong to the best non-organized, non-group with the BEST non-members you will ever associate with!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:42 PM
yankeevetteconvert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HDIronman
I have a 69 vert and was told not to run faster than 11.50.

You would have been okay...!!!
Great! See you at the next one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Corvette club to join in metro Detroit area?