C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short horn beep with no one in car

Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 AM
dbros9
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default short horn beep with no one in car

have a 99 vert - I walked by the car and the horn made a short beep and the inside light went on and then off. after a few more minutes it did it again. the top was down - i went to put it up and the release buttton did nothing. i started the car - now the release button works and i put the top up. BUT after a few more minutes the short horn beep starts again. any idea what is goin on here ???
thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 09:33 AM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbros9
have a 99 vert - I walked by the car and the horn made a short beep and the inside light went on and then off. after a few more minutes it did it again. the top was down - i went to put it up and the release buttton did nothing. i started the car - now the release button works and i put the top up. BUT after a few more minutes the short horn beep starts again. any idea what is goin on here ???
thanks
Did you have a fob in your pocket with the passive entry ON?

(Yea, I know the joke: Is that a fob in your pocket or are you just glad to see me. Maybe your car is just glad to see you!)
Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 AM
dbros9
Advanced

Default Passive entry is on OFF position

just looked in off position on both sets of keys
Old 04-27-2005, 12:21 PM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gotta be the passive entry!

just looked in off position on both sets of keys
Then it must be broken??? Try walking past with/without the fob.

If the car still does it when you're walking by without the fob, it means you have a magnetic personality and you'll just have to live with it

Seriously, it must be the fob if it did it when you walked by.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:38 PM
nmbis2k
Instructor

try changing the battery in your remote. when you do, stand next to the driver's door, point the remote at the car, and hold both lock and unlock buttons down together until it reprograms.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM
dbros9
Advanced

both fob's were in a drawer upstairs nowhere near the car
Old 04-27-2005, 10:45 PM
dbros9
Advanced

Default mtt

M T T
Old 04-28-2005, 08:29 AM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Call a priest. Your car is posessed and needs at excorcism!

Something else must be going on. Your car can't simply be tooting when you walk by. That is not logical! In every unusual happening, there is always a reasonable explanation. Look to the obvious. (If it is truly spontaniously tooting for no reason, pull single fuses until it stops. Then that circuit is your problem.) But there is no such thing as spontanious tooting!

Last edited by RCK1999; 04-28-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:27 PM
dbros9
Advanced

Actually it does not happen when u walk by the car - I am upstairs in the house and I hear the short beep. I go into the garage and the interior lights are on and then they fade off. 15 minutes later the beep again This is so weird.
I just got the car out of storage a week ago. I did change one battery in a remote and also the car battery - but I don't know how that could be it although it seemed to start after I changed the remote battery.
any other thoughts
Old 04-29-2005, 12:42 AM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

It may be a bad ground. Good luck Jimmy
Old 04-29-2005, 01:17 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,187 Likes on 3,439 Posts

This thread has a pretty good, plot... can't wait for the movie!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
TopCat
Pro

Actually it does not happen when u walk by the car - I am upstairs in the house and I hear the short beep. I go into the garage and the interior lights are on and then they fade off. 15 minutes later the beep again This is so weird.
I just got the car out of storage a week ago. I did change one battery in a remote and also the car battery - but I don't know how that could be it although it seemed to start after I changed the remote battery.
any other thoughts
Live near an Air Force base or airport? Ham radio operators? Take it away from the house to a friend's and see if it still occurs? Eliminate possibilities. Have wireless network in the house? New cordless phones? I don't know what frequency the remotes work on, but you could have some sort of crosstalk going on.

Take the batteries out of the remotes to eliminate that possibility. You said you changed the battery. Did you clean the cables where they contact the battery? Did you torque the posts tight? (I think Bill Curlee states 11 ft. lb. torque.) Do a search and find the grounds under the hood and check/clean.

Do steps one at a time so you know which caused it. FWIW, my car has honked twice a couple of times when I've started it...like the alarm was starting, but it would only honk twice. Haven't figured that one out and really don't care......had an '84 Scirocco that would do the same thing on startup about 4 times a year. It didn't have near the computing power in it. Hope you locate the problem....annoying as @#$!; best of luck.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 AM
dbros9
Advanced

Default the plot thickens

Well - things r getting stranger. now the car is locking on it's own. it's not a fluke - it's happened 3 times already this morning. I just took the fobs apart and will re-program and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:50 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

"Coming to a theatre near you" It's Christine 2005......
Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 AM
TopCat
Pro

Well - things r getting stranger. now the car is locking on it's own. it's not a fluke - it's happened 3 times already this morning. I just took the fobs apart and will re-program and see what happens.

Any resolution, or is Christine still acting up??

Shall we send a Catholic priest?

Old 05-10-2005, 01:18 PM
lost
Drifting

Your car has problems with being left alone, so when you are close by it honks to let you know it loves you.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
TopCat
Pro

Originally Posted by lost
Your car has problems with being left alone, so when you are close by it honks to let you know it loves you.

You nailed it!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

You know, even if the key fobs are in the house, the range is ~ 50 ft. I ran into something similar with the passice position on my fobs. Not enough distance between my garage and where I keep the keys.

Not that this is your problem, but it may indicate an issue with 1 or both of your fobs
Old 05-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Joe C5
Racer

One other thing to think about. I think 15 minutes is the time the computers in the car go to sleep. I agree with the above posts that it is probably fob related. Can you turn off passive entry via the DIC? If you don't use it that might help. Also, if the computers are not going to sleep, your battery is not long for this world Also, you might verify no leaks onto the BCM (passenger footwell - air conditioning condensate drain plugged). They get very wierd when that happens. Just some more things to look into. Hope you find the culprit soon.

Get notified of new replies

To short horn beep with no one in car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: short horn beep with no one in car