C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet hot headers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 03:39 AM
ditty22
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet hot headers???

Im looking to get some headers to go with my cam and i see that jet hot is selling Lt headers coated for like $599! Has anyone used or see them for a vette or fbody? Are these things gonna rust like others have said cause there mild steel and not stainless? thanks ditti
Old 03-29-2005, 03:50 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a pair but did not get them installed. They looked fine but that is about all I could tell you about them.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 AM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I do not know first hand, but I have seen other posts where some individuals were upset that they did rust! They stated they did not think they would and were dissapionted in that aspect of the coated headers...fwiw
Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
ditty22
Drifting

thanks guys ttt
Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience, not with these particular headers, is that the jet hot coating is removed over time by sand and debris that chips it away. After a couple of years they started to rust on the bottom portion of the headers where they hung lower than the car.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:14 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eventually all the ceramic coating will get chipped off, burnt off etc...
because its just that a coating! its .01 inches thick. some coatings are better or thicker than others. it is pretty much known or accepted that dipping the headers as oppose to spraying them makes it thicker and more resistant to corrosion. cars in states that have alot of salt on the roads will expirence faster decay of ceramic coating. also cars that are non DDs will also do the same. any extreme cold will also aid that. but this does not mean that its going to chip or fade out after a year or even 3. the coatings we do and the coating I have on my headers ive had for 3 1/2 years and they still look good! I know people whove had jet hott coat them about 3 different times in one year because it keeps flaking and what not and then i know people whove had it a year and no porbs. but I guarentee if i had the $ and backing they did aka sending you videos and pamplets id be where they are.
jet hott uses metallic caramic coating. which alot of people say is more likely to flake/chip.

The bottom of the headers is where they will chip as debris from the road hits it... thus meaning that the coating on its own wont do this, just particles hitting it at very high speeds.

I can ceramic coat any set of LTs for $188 including tax, coating inside
and out(dipping method), and all preping required. email me slimshaby@mindspring.com

Its all about taking car of them. DONT go driving off road down a gravel road.

thanks alot
your friend
Sean Blanton
Old 03-29-2005, 04:33 PM
ditty22
Drifting

Thanks for all the great info guys! Has anyone had any fitting probs or dyno# yet? ditti
Old 03-29-2005, 05:52 PM
ANTIVINUM
Racer

How low do they hang down?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM
lost
Drifting

Before you start bad mouthing a company with a bunch of hearsay evidence, maybe you ought to check out the company first. I've seen coated headers that had surface rust, and I've seen a few that rusted through, also seen some where the coating flaked off. None of them were jet hot[tm] coated.I dont work for them , I don't own any.They are the industry standard and many people will say they have jet hot coated headers because the guy that sold them to them said so.Fact , they are the only header coating compancy that pays out contingency cash to racers. They sponsor John Force.Pacesetter used to use jet hot, but they have cheaped out and are using the same coating that BBK uses, and I know for a fact that BBK has only been coating the outside of their C5 header. I think its called Armor Coat.There are others but those are the only ones I could find that advertise the brand of coating.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had 3 sets of headers with Jet Hot coating; 2 sets were on previous F-Bodies, and I'm currently running Jet Hot coated FLP headers on my '99 C5. Both T/A's had the Jet Hot coated headers for over 9 years and the coating never "chipped off" or got "surface rust" or anything like that. It stays nice looking and does a great job protecting the tubes, keeping the heat down in the engine compartment as well as probably squeezing a few extra ponies out of your mill by keeping the exhaust gas heat in and the flow velocity high. I don't work for Jet Hot, but it is a great product with great customer service!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

Jet Hot makes a coating, they dont make headers... The header you see advertised are actually Tpis header witht he jet hot coating. IT was some sort of deal they worked out together. They are good headers for the price, and as mentioned above all coats will eventually chip and burn and most header will eventually rust.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:04 AM
Vette#2
Racer

I had Jet Hot headers on my 97 F body [installed 2003]which I never drove in the snow or rain. Yes I did get caught in the rain a few times. My point is I was dissapointed in the surface rust that appeared on the bottom sides of the headers after 6 months. No I did't drive on dirt roads either. Fact is mild steel like 1020 does rust easily. Maybe it's the Michigan weather or whatever, rust is rust
Old 03-30-2005, 01:09 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Suck it up, buy stainless, and forget about it. Otherwise, if the coating is damaged (like during install)... well, you know the story.

All the best.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:10 AM
ditty22
Drifting

thanks guys! Ill let u guy know if i pick some up k.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 AM
redbullapril23
Drifting

stainless vs regular ceramic coated.. the stainless obviously outlasts them but ceramic will keep it cooler while it lasts! now if you ceramic stainless you have the best of both worlds.
I am not bashing them.. I am simply saying my expirences with them. and with my coatings to give you an idea. I mean for everything there is best and worst case scenarios right?
either way buying the jet hott already coated tpis is alot cheaper.. they quoated me $300 for a basic coating on some cheap azz hedmans. i was like haha thats more than the ehaders are worth.
reguardless of whom you use get them ceramic coated!
good luck your friend
Sean
Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 AM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

im running ceramic headers i am very happy with them
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 PM
myblackC5
Pro

Default coating

Originally Posted by redbullapril23
stainless vs regular ceramic coated.. the stainless obviously outlasts them but ceramic will keep it cooler while it lasts! now if you ceramic stainless you have the best of both worlds.
I am not bashing them.. I am simply saying my expirences with them. and with my coatings to give you an idea. I mean for everything there is best and worst case scenarios right?
either way buying the jet hott already coated tpis is alot cheaper.. they quoated me $300 for a basic coating on some cheap azz hedmans. i was like haha thats more than the ehaders are worth.
reguardless of whom you use get them ceramic coated!
good luck your friend
Sean
i like the idea of dipping the headers, do you use the same coating as jet hot?

Get notified of new replies

To Jet hot headers???

Old 03-30-2005, 06:51 PM
cbota
Racer

Originally Posted by ditty22
Im looking to get some headers to go with my cam and i see that jet hot is selling Lt headers coated for like $599! Has anyone used or see them for a vette or fbody? Are these things gonna rust like others have said cause there mild steel and not stainless? thanks ditti

Im thinking of getting those headers too, maybe we can get a package deal or GP
Old 03-30-2005, 07:41 PM
ditty22
Drifting

Originally Posted by cbota
Im thinking of getting those headers too, maybe we can get a package deal or GP
That would be nice 4 sure! What company on the forum sells them though? ditti
Old 03-31-2005, 08:33 AM
TLKSCHP
Burning Brakes

Just call Jet-hot direct, I did and got a killer deal. I just wish someone made a 3" off road x midpipe to fit

Quick Reply: Jet hot headers???