C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clamping Force Adjustment on Luk Pro Gold Clutch?

Old 03-20-2005, 03:31 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Clamping Force Adjustment on Luk Pro Gold Clutch?

I'm hoping someone can give me some help with the instructions for increasing the clamping force on the Luk Pro Gold clutch. I purchased my Luk Pro Gold clutch kit from Motor Sport Image & Performance a month ago. I gave the clutch kit to my installer last week (along with a lot of other parts to install, including a stage II 3.90 differential from DTE). I told them they needed to match balance the clutch and adjust the clutch for increased clamping force. This was according to what I read on this forum and what the guys at Motor Sport Image told me.

Well, I left to go out of town on vacation while my Corvette went under the knife. I dropped the car off last Sunday and we opened up the Luk box and found there were no instructions. The guys at Motor Sport had told me to tell the installer to follow the instruction for adjusting the clutch for a thinner flywheel, to get the increased clamping force. There were no instructions in the Luk box. I asked the installer to call Motor Sport Image on Monday. They called Luk instead and Jim at Luk told them that there is no adjustment. They said they have received lots of similar calls and that this is false information. Soooooooo, my installer installed the clutch without increasing the clamping force. Can someone help me here? Which is correct? My installer told me that they would remove the clutch and adjust it as I originally requested if I could get them accurate information on how to increase the clamping force. I'm going to call Motor Sport Image tomorrow, but I'm hoping some of you guys could straighten me out today. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:50 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rob,
We are closed on Mondays, but hope this helps. If you need help today (Sunday) just call me on my cell phone 916-300-7703. Terry
Here is the exert from the GM manual. If you need the pictures, I will run down to the shop today and fax them to you.
Terry

Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment On-Vehicle

Important
The aid of an assistant will be necessary during this procedure.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the engine flywheel inspection cover retaining bolts.
Remove the engine flywheel inspection cover.

Have an assistant press the clutch pedal until tension is released from the clutch pressure plate stepped adjusting ring, then continue to hold the pedal.
Hold 2 screwdrivers or other suitable tools, and place them against 2 of the 3 stepped adjusting ring tension spring stops (1), just ahead of the adjusting ring tension springs.

Use the screwdrivers to rotate the stepped adjusting ring counterclockwise, compressing the tension springs, until the adjusting ring steps are fully adjusted out. Continue to hold in position.
Have your assistant release the clutch pedal.
Release the adjusting ring tension spring stops.

Install the engine flywheel inspection cover.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the engine flywheel inspection cover retaining bolts. Tighten
Tighten the engine flywheel inspection cover retaining bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 775600
2002 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info. I sent it to my installer, Randy, at Finish Line Automotive in Broken Arrow, OK. So you may be getting a call from him.

Do you have any idea why this guy at Luk would be saying that there isn't any adjustment?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:15 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Terry,

I just wanted to say "Thanks!" for going out of your way on a Sunday to help Randy get sorted out on adjusting the clamping force on my clutch! That is great customer service and is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Hi Rob, you are very welcome.
LUK said it doesn't make any difference because it will adjust it self. Guess what, NOT!
I told your installer, the first LUK we installed we did not adjust the PP. It was fine around town, but started slipping at higher RPM and at the track. We brought the car back, did the PP adjustment on the car and it has been perfect for the past 10k. If it not adjusted, the pedal pressure will feel about 10% lighter than stock. Once you adjust the PP correctly, the pedal will feel about 15% stiffer than stock. We have installed about a dozen of these clutches with 100% customer satisfaction.

Thanks again for the business. Glad I could be of help.
Terry

Last edited by SMOKNC5; 03-21-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 PM
CAracer
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob,

My Luk clutch started slipping at the strip also. I'm doing the adjustment tomorrow. I called the Luk tech and they told me the same thing. No adjustments, clutch will adjust itself as if wears.

Let me know how yours comes out.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:25 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Will do. I won't be taking it to the dragstrip until after the Big Bend Open Road Race at the end of April, though.

Originally Posted by CAracer
Rob,

My Luk clutch started slipping at the strip also. I'm doing the adjustment tomorrow. I called the Luk tech and they told me the same thing. No adjustments, clutch will adjust itself as if wears.

Let me know how yours comes out.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Hey CA racer, if you have any questions, feel free to call my on my cell phone, 916-300-7703. Our shop is closed on Mondays, but I always have my phone on.
Terry

Hey Rob, let me know when you get your car back.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Will do. BTW, what is the break-in period for the clutch? I'll be breaking in my 3.90 gearsl and clutch at the same time.

Rob

Originally Posted by SMOKNC5
Hey CA racer, if you have any questions, feel free to call my on my cell phone, 916-300-7703. Our shop is closed on Mondays, but I always have my phone on.
Terry

Hey Rob, let me know when you get your car back.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

LUKs tech line doesn't know ****... they'll also tell you that the Stage-II Pro-gold is the stock '02+ Z06 clutch.. they're wrong.

My clutch slipped like crazy... just adjusted it last week and it's a whole new experience. It was easie than the stocker before, now it's nice and firm like my old Cobra and it finally hooks!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 AM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Hey Rob, by the time your diff in broke in your clutch will be broke in too. Just take it easy the first 100 miles, then go for it.
Luk's gold series is supposed to have 25% more clamping pressure before they will call it a Gold series. In the Z06 application it is about 15% increase vs. the C5.
If anyone stills needs the LUK Gold, we can do it for $750 plus shipping.
Terry

Get notified of new replies

To Clamping Force Adjustment on Luk Pro Gold Clutch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clamping Force Adjustment on Luk Pro Gold Clutch?