C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:09 AM
davidlrose
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal

Can anyone point me to a good article on pulling the engine in my '76?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:37 AM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

I've seen two engines get pulled, looekd easy. "Looked" lol..

Anyway I remember the headers were removed offcourse, then hoses, and then car was lifted to unbolt from tranny, and then engine got pulled.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 AM
davidlrose
Navigator

We both have '76s. Mine is all over my garage floor, however.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:47 AM
twistdpair
Instructor

Advice:

Label everything...keep a box of ziploc freezer bags, a sharpie and some masking tape around.

Other than that it's pretty straightforward. Headers, fuel, coolant and electrical, bell housing and motor mounts. Be ready to have help. The taking out part is easy compared to getting the engine back in, lining up the splines on the shaft into the tranny (assuming A/T). A lot of wiggling, and be careful not to force too hard.

Corky
Old 02-28-2005, 02:00 PM
1974slcvette
Instructor

Default Engine Removal

My son and I just removed our engine and tranny (AT) this last weekend. Wasn't too bad, pulled them both at the same time. Drain everything first.... I pulled our tranny pan to drain the automatic transmission fluid, but even after that I still got crap all over the driveway.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Slick McFavorite
Instructor

Originally Posted by twistdpair
Advice:

Label everything...keep a box of ziploc freezer bags, a sharpie and some masking tape around.

Other than that it's pretty straightforward. Headers, fuel, coolant and electrical, bell housing and motor mounts. Be ready to have help. The taking out part is easy compared to getting the engine back in, lining up the splines on the shaft into the tranny (assuming A/T). A lot of wiggling, and be careful not to force too hard.

Corky

I've done this once and what I learned is: Label everything, but more importantly: TAKE PICTURES. Anything that would look confusing you will need a picture of. That is assuming you are putting it back together the same way. If you're really hardcore, buy a digital camera and document the whole process on your computer so an idiot could come along and put it back together. Drain everything as previously stated and buy a haynes book. I used a haynes book for my removal and it helped. Also if you're pulling in the garage be sure to attach the cherry picker low and closer to the engine. If you're too high up you won't be able to clear the fender when pulling it out, which will then force you to either drop the car (if its jacked) with the scarry 500 pounder floating above you or put the motor back in again only to reset the lifting chain height. It's a fun job, looking back I appreciate doing it, I just wish I would have gone faster. Then again, I'm still alive so maybe slow caution is better. Be safe.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 PM
greenice
Advanced

Default Agree with pictures

if you've got a digital camera, take many many pictures. It came in very helpful to run wires, hoses and the "where is this suppose to go" thing.

I removed mine a few years back and have got some of the pictures online. If interested go looking:

http://home.earthlink.net/~lmrpjb/engine.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lmrpjb/engine2.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lmrpjb/engine3.html

Lots of pictures so dial up be ware.

PJB
Old 02-28-2005, 05:10 PM
c3-4me
Instructor

The digital camera is a must! I read this article when I pulled mine for the first time.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1005/
Old 02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
BanGnGearS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pulled my engine out of my 79 this weekend. Engine and Tranny as one. i left the headers on also. No real problems, except for the fact that the front end is soo long i had to use my lift from the side of the car, and swing it around to the front as i pulled the engine out. Just take your time an label EVERYTHING. A few weeks go by and it gets a little hard to remember what hose goes where. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 PM
i885744
Pro

ALWAYS either drain the tranny fluid or plug the output if you are going to pull the tranny. It will go EVERYWHERE if you don't. Don't ask me how i know.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Label everything...keep a box of ziploc freezer bags, a sharpie and some masking tape around

I do the same; 'cept I use paper lunch bags.

more importantly: TAKE PICTURES

I took apart my (then) brand new 1980 and swapped in a Comp Cam, and a high flow oil pump. If it wasn't for the bags and 35mm pictures... I'd of never got it back together again.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone use one of those lift plates that bolts to the intake manifold? Ad say it will lift 1,000 # when bolted to an aluminum intake. I will only have about 500 # but the thought of 4 carb bolts in an aluminum intake taking this weight still bothers me.

Need to know any actual experiences.

Thanks,
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 PM
davidlrose
Navigator

Thank you! I freakin' pulled off the distributor, all the shielding, plug wires, etc..... BEFORE I hooked up the hoist. Wish I had left them on like you did, so that I could get some good pictures of where everything gows back.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Removal

Quick Reply: Engine Removal