Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what size screw for the rear license plate?

Old 02-20-2005, 05:26 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Default what size screw for the rear license plate?

I need to install my new plates and have no idea what size those screws are in the back. None came with the car. Anybody know the size?

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-20-2005, 05:55 PM
iteachflyin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question. I just bought the cheap plastic version of the C5 logo screw covers to 'dress up' my front and rear license plates (I also purchased the expensive front and rear painted license plate frames in Lt. Pewter). I don't think the C5 screw caps come with the screws and I'll need both front and rear screws. Any help on the sizes for both?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

ttt...
Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 AM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

I just baought what were labeled as Licence Plate screws - not sure of the size but they worked fine. I think these are a standard item....
Old 02-23-2005, 11:09 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default da screws

I think they're #12 sheet metal screws...+ or -
Old 02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Just standard license plate screws. Got mine at Auto Zone. Since they thread into a nylon "nut" if they are a bit off on thread pitch etc. they will cut new threads.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
ChefBoy
Instructor

SLO VETTE

I have some extras that came with an OEM frame I bought. Let me know if you need some. You can send me a PM. I have at least two, probably have four. I'm in Pasadena.

Barry
Old 02-24-2005, 01:07 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Thanks alot guys. Chef: sent you a PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:30 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I think I've heard it all now!

PS: Don't forget to use the flat end of the screwdriver to install the screws. Otherwise, you might need a bandage!

(Just kidding - of course)

Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

i don't understand your post. i'm looking for the appropriate size of the license plate screws to mount in the back, which everyone here has helped answer in 1 way or another. my new z06 didn't come with them, and i just got my plates from the dmv (cal's version of any other states' motor vehicle department). so your value added answer based upon your apparent vast knowledge is what, exactly? please save your sarcastic comments for somebody who finds them entertaining or useful. thank you.

Originally Posted by tblair7500

PS: Don't forget to use the flat end of the screwdriver to install the screws. Otherwise, you might need a bandage!

Last edited by SLO VETTE; 02-24-2005 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:01 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
i don't understand your post. i'm looking for the appropriate size of the license plate screws to mount in the back, which everyone here has helped answer in 1 way or another. my new z06 didn't come with them, and i just got my plates from the dmv (cal's version of any other states' motor vehicle department). so your value added answer based upon your apparent vast knowledge is what, exactly? please save your sarcastic comments for somebody who finds them entertaining or useful. thank you.
Pardon me, did not mean to offend you, but really, now think about it, how hard would it be to solve this problem.

1. Stop by the dealer and they will be happy to give them to you for free.

2. Look at any Corvette you see in any parking lot or dealer lot, and see what they have.

3. Stop by any auto parts store and buy generic license plate screws.

4. Go to the GM Parts Direct web site and look up the screw size.

5. Read your owner's manual.

6. Trial and error.

Is that enough "vast knowledge"?

Good luck with your project!

Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Actually, though it was not very helpful, I have to admit... it was pretty funny.

Hang on, I'm calling TBS.... yes, yes, they're giving it a funny rating. (sorry, too many commercials...lol)

Besides, his response was no more or less helpful than anyone eles's. Out of the 8 previous responses, no one actually gave you the "size" information you were looking for. One person said "a #12 plus or minus".... and the one person that will ship you the screws, well, stamps would cost more than what the screws would.

I think the best thing to do is stop at your local parts store and pick some up. I'm sure even the idiots that usually work at a parts store can't screw that one up.

Mark
Old 02-25-2005, 07:43 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Originally Posted by tblair7500

SLO VETTE, it is generally an accepted practice to overlook subtle sarcasm when accompanied by the included smilies and the closing comment.

Tom, consider this a lesson learned. Even normally free-thinking, layed-back SOCALians can be very sensitive when it comes to their Corvettes!

(Just kidding, of course)
Old 02-25-2005, 09:53 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Hey I moved back here from NYC, and am still plenty ornery--So Cal hasn't sunk in yet...

Thanks anyway. No offense taken, tblair!

I'll go to the auto parts store this weekend, & maybe (as last resort) Chevy dealer--prefer not to do the latter, since they're highway robbery (I've experienced it already on my last Vette). I've been driving around for almost several months with no plates and only a temp tag. Dealer botched that one real good, had the DMV send my plates to the wrong address--took me a couple of months to get to the bottom of that mess, finally got my official plates last weekend. Was excited about getting them up & running but saw the damned car didn't have the screws in the back. Go figure.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
Hey I moved back here from NYC, and am still plenty ornery--So Cal hasn't sunk in yet...

Thanks anyway. No offense taken, tblair!
I've been on the forum for two years, started out as green as they come, probably just slightly smarter now.

As for my sarcasm, I plead quilty as charged, but it was just something about it that got me tickled and I just had to get involved in the fun. In fact, I have been thinking about it all day, and would like to add the following on the "license plate screw" problem.

1. I have heard that West Coast Corvette has the "High Performance License Plate Screws" available for $99.99 for a set of 4. They claim to increase your RWHP by 12 - 15 (dyno proven).

2. If you purchase the above screws, it will require an LS1 Edit, or you will start getting error codes on your DIC.

3. If ordering license plate screws from GM, be aware that there were eight different sizes in 2004. You will have to provide your VIN to the dealer to get the correct ones.

4. GM had a "License Plate Screw Recall" in June of 2004. See GM Bulletin 05-143A, Page 15, Paragrah 7b.

5. Per GM Specs, the license plate screws need to be torqued to 40 lbs to operate properly. Also, the left and right screws are not interchangeable.

6. I think Mid-America now offers a "License Plate Screw By-Pass" that will effectively eliminate the need for license plate screws. The cost is $99.95 for a set of 4. Sound familiar?

It is thinking about stuff like this that keeps my mind off my work!

Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To what size screw for the rear license plate?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what size screw for the rear license plate?